Donegal vs. Cavan - Ulster SFC 2022 Semi Final, Sunday 8th May

Started by Dreadnought, April 27, 2022, 10:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnought

Quote from: Gael80 on April 27, 2022, 04:50:36 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on April 27, 2022, 10:19:34 AM
Don't see a thread for this so starting one. A redo of the 2020 Final, and Donegal should well have revenge on their mind. Match set for Clones at 4pm on Sunday 8th, so should get a big crowd for this one. Cavan show that their Championship form is nothing like their League placing, so should be tight and interesting. Thoughts?

I don't see it being tight, a lot of talk that Cavan didn't belong in Division 4 but they were there for a reason. They deserved to win an Ulster title but it was a strange year and hadn't won it since 1997, so I don't see them as this 'championship team' they're being referred to. Donegal won't have the Ballybofey factor but they'll be motivated and I can see a 10 point win for Donegal as they're a much stronger panel. Ulster Final will be a different challenge but Donegal will comfortably qualify for it.

I think it will be. League isn't everything, and while Cavan did indeed end up in Division 4, it was on the back of 2 very odd disrupted and curtailed seasons. And with a manager who clearly did not value League, then you can see a little beyond it. Just have a look at his Championship win record. He was the same as a club manager. Look I was as disappointed as the next Cavan man with our League form, but he sets out the season to be ready for Championship, and overall that works. Sure don't we see teams who go balls out for League and don't do anything in League recently? Needs to be a balance, and for some reason this seems to be our. Like on paper, a Division 4 team should not be thrashing a Division 3 promotion chaser at home. But Cavan did. So you need to look past it a little bit.

Donegal are rightfully favourites, and will likely will win. All I'm saying is it'll be tighter than some think, as Donegal will be wary of getting caught again, as they should have been thrashed in that final only for the ref. Graham beat Bonner on the line with tactics and setup. Crowd will be back too. These players have met many times underage and Senior with wins on both sides. And the underdog always has nothing to lose here. Think it'll be a cracker

Westside

Quote from: Dreadnought on April 27, 2022, 05:29:26 PM
Quote from: Westside on April 27, 2022, 04:40:33 PM
Cavan have a few passengers in the starting 15. We need Gearoid to find a big performance and we get need Martin, Holla and Oisin Kiernan back in the team. Looking forward to see what Lynch can provide against Division 1 opposition. 5 points is the handicap and seems about right.

I don't get the 'unfinished business'. Cavan should have won the 2020 final comfortably and that was with a referee who gave multiple poor decisions against them. Donegal weren't robbed, they just faced a hungrier side on the night and couldn't find a performance to match ours. Cavan were a side full of U21 and Minor winning players that were in their second consecutive final. I don't believe Donegal are stupid enough to have taken Cavan for granted.

They're heavy favourites and rightly so, but if they win it won't be because they took us seriously this year and not in 2020.

Who do you think are the passengers if you don't mind me asking?

I don't think it's fair to single lads out by name. But I think some of the younger players on the team aren't doing enough to hold a definite starting position. If Holla, Kiernan and Martin get back, it's easy to see who drops to the bench for two of those positions at least.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Westside on April 27, 2022, 05:41:31 PM
Cavan have a few passengers in the starting 15. We need Gearoid to find a big performance and we get need Martin, Holla and Oisin Kiernan back in the team. Looking forward to see what Lynch can provide against Division 1 opposition. 5 points is the handicap and seems about right.

I don't get the 'unfinished business'. Cavan should have won the 2020 final comfortably and that was with a referee who gave multiple poor decisions against them. Donegal weren't robbed, they just faced a hungrier side on the night and couldn't find a performance to match ours. Cavan were a side full of U21 and Minor winning players that were in their second consecutive final. I don't believe Donegal are stupid enough to have taken Cavan for granted.

They're heavy favourites and rightly so, but if they win it won't be because they took us seriously this year and not in 2020.

I don't think it's fair to single lads out by name. But I think some of the younger players on the team aren't doing enough to hold a definite starting position. If Holla, Kiernan and Martin get back, it's easy to see who drops to the bench for two of those positions at least.

I do think it was a case of trying things out in the League, which is the point of it, and some of those lads are not there just yet. But thought with the team we started Saturday, and with some of the subs you named, we're very close to full strength as we can be, and really don't think we've any passengers at all in that case.

Westside

Quote from: Dreadnought on April 27, 2022, 07:03:29 PM

I do think it was a case of trying things out in the League, which is the point of it, and some of those lads are not there just yet. But thought with the team we started Saturday, and with some of the subs you named, we're very close to full strength as we can be, and really don't think we've any passengers at all in that case.

Maybe passengers is a harsh term. When Oisin Kiernan first came into the side he was drifting around the edges of games. Doing some good things but not imposing himself on the game or making big plays. In time he improved to the point where he was a big player on the team. I think there's a couple of lads on the team doing what he was doing back then, no doubt they will improve with time. But to beat Donegal I think we need every one of our best 15 playing at their best.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Westside on April 27, 2022, 07:41:23 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on April 27, 2022, 07:03:29 PM

Maybe passengers is a harsh term. When Oisin Kiernan first came into the side he was drifting around the edges of games. Doing some good things but not imposing himself on the game or making big plays. In time he improved to the point where he was a big player on the team. I think there's a couple of lads on the team doing what he was doing back then, no doubt they will improve with time. But to beat Donegal I think we need every one of our best 15 playing at their best.

You're always going to have a few players on each day who don't win their battle and look like that. On really good days you still have a few, and overall you need 10 players or more to win their individual battles to win a game (generally). Some player looks a passenger one day, looks like the winning of the game the next. Don't think we have any like that. We've a strong 15 when fit (and we do need those 3 lads to come back in for this) and while they might be beat in games, it would be our strongest and don't see passengers on it (though know you don't mean it that way).

greatpoint

Quote from: Dreadnought on April 27, 2022, 05:37:22 PM
Don't see a thread for this so starting one. A redo of the 2020 Final, and Donegal should well have revenge on their mind. Match set for Clones at 4pm on Sunday 8th, so should get a big crowd for this one. Cavan show that their Championship form is nothing like their League placing, so should be tight and interesting. Thoughts?

I don't see it being tight, a lot of talk that Cavan didn't belong in Division 4 but they were there for a reason. They deserved to win an Ulster title but it was a strange year and hadn't won it since 1997, so I don't see them as this 'championship team' they're being referred to. Donegal won't have the Ballybofey factor but they'll be motivated and I can see a 10 point win for Donegal as they're a much stronger panel. Ulster Final will be a different challenge but Donegal will comfortably qualify for it.

I think it will be. League isn't everything, and while Cavan did indeed end up in Division 4, it was on the back of 2 very odd disrupted and curtailed seasons. And with a manager who clearly did not value League, then you can see a little beyond it. Just have a look at his Championship win record. He was the same as a club manager. Look I was as disappointed as the next Cavan man with our League form, but he sets out the season to be ready for Championship, and overall that works. Sure don't we see teams who go balls out for League and don't do anything in League recently? Needs to be a balance, and for some reason this seems to be our. Like on paper, a Division 4 team should not be thrashing a Division 3 promotion chaser at home. But Cavan did. So you need to look past it a little bit.

Donegal are rightfully favourites, and will likely will win. All I'm saying is it'll be tighter than some think, as Donegal will be wary of getting caught again, as they should have been thrashed in that final only for the ref. Graham beat Bonner on the line with tactics and setup. Crowd will be back too. These players have met many times underage and Senior with wins on both sides. And the underdog always has nothing to lose here. Think it'll be a cracker

Hypotheticals like how much Cavan might have beaten Donegal by had the ref been nicer aren’t as relevant as the actual thrashing Cavan got from Donegal in the Ulster final the year previous.

Itchy

Quote from: greatpoint on April 28, 2022, 07:49:27 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on April 27, 2022, 05:37:22 PM

Hypotheticals like how much Cavan might have beaten Donegal by had the ref been nicer aren't as relevant as the actual thrashing Cavan got from Donegal in the Ulster final the year previous.

I'd say that was Grshams 1st season in charge so he was only getting things in shape and was ahead of plan making that final. But I'll bow to your superior knowledge of trashings from your time following Carlow

Westside

It's a fair point. Donegal manhandled us in the 2019 Final. And that's the main question hanging over this meeting, did Cavan bridge the gap in 2020 and if so, can they do it again, or was it a once off performance.

rodney trotter

The game was over at half time in 2019. 2020 was obviously a lot different, and played in the Winter time.

Cavan have to be in the game this time around.

Dreadnought

Build up starts properly now. With Derry winning the other day, we can see that anything can happen in Ulster football when one team turns up with the right attitude and plan, and executing it well. As big favourites, Donegal will be wary and forewarned for this now. Up to Cavan to be in the right place for this in order to make a challenge. If so, we'll have a cracker

Westside

Declan Bonnar gave a good insight into just how little respect he has for this Cavan team in an interview with donegaldaily. It takes untold levels of confidence/arrogance/stupidity to pat Cavan on the head and talk about how much we love our football. I would have thought that after 2020 he might have gained some level of respect for this Cavan team but he clearly sees the 2020 final as a complete aberration. I sincerely hope that Cavan aren't as bad as Bonnar thinks we are. If he's right, this will be a 15+ point hammering.

"Cavan are really strong, passionate and traditional football county, they love their GAA down there, they've built a bit of momentum winning the Division 4 title against Tipperary. They really dismantled a decent Antrim team in the first round two weeks ago."

twohands!!!

Quote from: Westside on May 05, 2022, 08:04:25 PM
Declan Bonnar gave a good insight into just how little respect he has for this Cavan team in an interview with donegaldaily. It takes untold levels of confidence/arrogance/stupidity to pat Cavan on the head and talk about how much we love our football. I would have thought that after 2020 he might have gained some level of respect for this Cavan team but he clearly sees the 2020 final as a complete aberration. I sincerely hope that Cavan aren't as bad as Bonnar thinks we are. If he's right, this will be a 15+ point hammering.

"Cavan are really strong, passionate and traditional football county, they love their GAA down there, they've built a bit of momentum winning the Division 4 title against Tipperary. They really dismantled a decent Antrim team in the first round two weeks ago."

The absolute bastard - these insults will never stand.
Utter cheek of him to come out spouting true facts all over the place.

Westside

Quote from: twohands!!! on May 05, 2022, 08:11:42 PM
Quote from: Westside on May 05, 2022, 08:04:25 PM

The absolute bastard - these insults will never stand.
Utter cheek of him to come out spouting true facts all over the place.

You managed to spell all those words correctly! You obviously found the post button all by yourself too. I see this isn't the first time you've managed this feat and that's really commendable.

Facts.

bannside

Struggling to see what Bonnar said out of place tbh. Am I missing something??

Westside

Quote from: bannside on May 05, 2022, 08:47:39 PM
Struggling to see what Bonnar said out of place tbh. Am I missing something??

There's nothing overtly wrong with what he said. It's the same type of interview many Division 1 managers give when they are facing into a walkover game.

Bonnar might be right, maybe Cavan are as poor as he clearly thinks we are, genuinely. We'll find out Sunday.