Hurling 2022

Started by Dag Dog, January 17, 2022, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: TheMistro on July 06, 2022, 09:32:09 AM
Kilkenny great odds at 5/2. Coady have a plan.

If Kilkenny do win, will we see him step down with another top team left for someone else to take over?

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on July 06, 2022, 12:07:46 PM

If Kilkenny do win, will we see him step down with another top team left for someone else to take over?
I don't think so. Otherwise Henry would have stayed.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on July 06, 2022, 12:41:36 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 06, 2022, 12:07:46 PM

I don't think so. Otherwise Henry would have stayed.

??

Has Henry committed to Galway for another year?

Not sure what you're saying.

onefineday

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 04, 2022, 02:18:23 PM
Quote from: onefineday on July 04, 2022, 01:57:12 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2
We move with the times, physical fitness part parcel of most sports, even snooker players have developed from the 70's and look at every angle in which they can improve their game..

You have to adopt to the times we had over 50 scores yesterday, would we prefer a scoreline of 5-8 to 1-24? Scores are scores and if someone can score from 90 meters on the move that is some skill, you should try that sometime just to see how difficult it is, these guys make it look easy because the practice/train most of their days from the age of 6 .
On the physical side, the impression I get is that refs let loads of things go and more skilful players don't get the protection they deserve.
Re the scorelines, I would absolutely prefer 5-8 to 1-24. I have no doubt about the skill involved in tapping over from 100yds, that's doesn't make it something I enjoy watching, yes, once or twice it's great, but time after time, no thanks. As English pointed out in that article, who remembers points really? Maybe a few particularly significant ones or a sideline cut or two, but when it's more than a shot a minute with a 50/50 split between point and wide, does it not get a little bit boring for everyone else too? Am I the exception here?
The thing is and as you probably know from my puke football contributions, we don't have to accept that times have changed and that's it, rules can be tweaked to achieve a desired outcome, it happens in other sports and to my mind there's an argument for changes in hurling too. A proper black card would be another that needs introduction, football's needs work, but at least it's something. The refusal to embrace a black card/sin bin is emblematic of hurling's 'macho' culture.

Black car is in hurling now at intercounty level, I'm surprised you didn't know that

Tweaking football rules, so since the 70's the GAA has been tweaking rules, you could handpass the ball into the net back in the day, that was changed for the better.. then came a load of changes that tbh I haven't actually seen the rule changes as making football any better, in fact it creates more issues..

If you feel that football was better in the 70's then go watch your local junior club team, you will not be disappointed, or stick to juvenile games, highly entertaining and no defensive set ups

As I said, if you feel striking a ball 70/80 yards off the run (while being chased down) is simple, go try it.

As for goals, Limerick and Kilkenny on the way to the final have been involved in games that have produced 31 goals...

In the Munster championship there was on average 3 goals a game.

So if you prefer loads of goals go watch a under 10's tournament or a team that are far stronger that the other and you'll get that.

Some people harp on about the past, well the past is over and we've got a new style, it will adopt and change again over time, tactics will have a large part to play in that

Hurling has a black card rule??  Somebody ought to tell the referees!! 

Both sports have black card rules that are ridiculously specific - better off to copy rugby and have a sin bin for a yellow card offence and be done with it.  We want to clean up our games and have a bit more respect for refs, then 10 mins in a sin bin would put paid to a lot of the nonsense that goes on.

I have no problem with tactics or defensive set-ups, most sports evolve, tactics evolve and rules are changed to negate tactics.

Re goals - Galway won the 2017 All Ireland without scoring a goal from the Leinster quarter final onwards.  2020 - Limerick scored goals in one of their five games en-route to the title (3 games with no goals from either side).  In fact I just found an article from 2020 which has the following in it:

Goal-scoring has dropped to a record low, down 40 per cent from the 1980s when the average per game stood at 4.3. It dropped to 3.3 in the 1990s and continued around that rate until 2016 when another sharp decline set in. Since then the average has been 2.6 per game.

We analysed the scoring returns from every championship game for the past 40 years (see panels) and the findings show that hurling has changed at an incredible rate.

While the goal rate is dropping, overall scoring totals are increasing. The average in the period 2016-2020 stands at 51 points, compared to 37 in the 1980s. It increased to 38 in the 1990s and to 44 in 2000-2015. Since then, it was shot up to over 50.

I don't like the possession based, shoot from anywhere game played by megatrons that most top level hurling is nowadays, most people seem to love it - fair enough.  On your point of shooting on the run etc, if that's how most scores were obtained, I suppose at least that would be something, but if that's the case, why does TJ, Kelly, Chin etc regularly chalk up double digit point scores per games from frees?

Milltown Row2

If players are fouling then it's a free and if the player can stick it over the bar that's ok, or should we just blind fold him?

Black cards have been used, seen it a few times this year, so ref's are using it.

There is possession and running games going on all over the country..

Losing possession wildly is not acceptable and looks daft to give it up, playing the odds,  giving the ball to the 'free' man or best placed player is sensible

Again I'm not sure what period of hurling you are looking for, but the players are stronger fitter more skilled and smarter now.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

onefineday

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 07, 2022, 01:21:49 PM
If players are fouling then it's a free and if the player can stick it over the bar that's ok, or should we just blind fold him?

Black cards have been used, seen it a few times this year, so ref's are using it.

There is possession and running games going on all over the country..

Losing possession wildly is not acceptable and looks daft to give it up, playing the odds,  giving the ball to the 'free' man or best placed player is sensible

Again I'm not sure what period of hurling you are looking for, but the players are stronger fitter more skilled and smarter now.
I think my starting points on this thread were to point out the lack of protection players seem to get and to encourage more creative attacking play resulting in goal chances versus the long range efforts.  I think a simple experiment upping the value of goals would be pretty simple to introduce and monitor and to my mind would improve the spectacle. Both sports need an effective sin bin and both need the whole rule book especially appeals procedures rewritten to make them watertight.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 09, 2022, 09:54:44 AM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40912115.html

Jesus ger Brennan sounds a bit of a gimp

A bit of a non story I'd have thought.

Some lad from the Vincents has saw O'Donnell play for his club, Whitehall a few times and thinks if he commits to the football, he'll get better..

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on July 11, 2022, 11:15:23 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 09, 2022, 09:54:44 AM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40912115.html

Jesus ger Brennan sounds a bit of a gimp

A bit of a non story I'd have thought.

Some lad from the Vincents has saw O'Donnell play for his club, Whitehall a few times and thinks if he commits to the football, he'll get better..

2 points i thought stood out. Slagging off the hurlers and also saying he couldnt believe the eye he had for the bigball after playing hurling all year. Sweet Lord

marty34

I wonder will Cian Lynch start on Sunday?

I don't think they'd risk Peter Casey but Lynch could come in for Graeme Mulcahy say, give him the No. 15 jersey and give him a free role - let him loose.

Be harder for KK to get all their match ups right for this one - a lot of firefighters required.

I'd put Lawlor on Gillane, Butler on Lynch (if he starts) and Tommy Walsh on Seamie Flannagan.

Limerick need a big performance from their half-forward line - haven't been up to their usual high standards. Hego and Tom Morrissey are due big games.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on July 11, 2022, 01:36:15 PM

I don't think they'd risk Peter Casey but Lynch could come in for Graeme Mulcahy say, give him the No. 15 jersey and give him a free role - let him loose.

Be harder for KK to get all their match ups right for this one - a lot of firefighters required.

I'd put Lawlor on Gillane, Butler on Lynch (if he starts) and Tommy Walsh on Seamie Flannagan.

Limerick need a big performance from their half-forward line - haven't been up to their usual high standards. Hego and Tom Morrissey are due big games.

Whilst Casey and Lynch both came on vrs Galway, I don't recollect either touching the ball and may be a fair bit off the pace, so I can't see either being risked to start on Sunday.

Limerick may start with their regular set of forwards but Mulcahy does look to be the first man off although Tom Morrissey hasn't been great this year either and may be at risk.

Pat Ryan to start  ;)

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on July 11, 2022, 02:13:56 PM

Whilst Casey and Lynch both came on vrs Galway, I don't recollect either touching the ball and may be a fair bit off the pace, so I can't see either being risked to start on Sunday.

Limerick may start with their regular set of forwards but Mulcahy does look to be the first man off although Tom Morrissey hasn't been great this year either and may be at risk.

Pat Ryan to start  ;)

I'm nearly sure Lynch will start - twice POTY and sitting on bench.

He got 10 mins the last time and will have 2 weeks training behind him so he's too good not to start.

I'd say Peter Casey will be on before Pat Ryan.  Ryan has never really pushed on since scoring 'that goal' V Cork in etra-time a few years ago.

David Reidy is another who'll be pushing for a place although he seems to be more suited to a sub role in games.  Seems better coming off the bench.  Had a big impact the last day out. Again, I think he'll be on before Ryan.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on July 11, 2022, 02:42:10 PM

Pat Ryan to start  ;)

He got 10 mins the last time and will have 2 weeks training behind him so he's too good not to start.

I'd say Peter Casey will be on before Pat Ryan.  Ryan has never really pushed on since scoring 'that goal' V Cork in etra-time a few years ago.

Pat is gone after getting up close and personal with a Tipp player earlier on in the year allegedly.

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on July 11, 2022, 02:43:45 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 11, 2022, 02:42:10 PM

Pat Ryan to start  ;)

Pat is gone after getting up close and personal with a Tipp player earlier on in the year allegedly.

Was it him who was involved that time?

Didn't know that JC.

clonadmad

Pat Ryan to start  ;)

Pat Ryan is gone from the panel after that nightclub incident with a portroe player the night Limerick bet Tipperary this year