Hurling 2022

Started by Dag Dog, January 17, 2022, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: didlyi on June 04, 2022, 09:17:18 PM
Poor game. When will players learn that spare hand pulling and dragging for all to see results in a free. Galway gave Tj every chance to win the game for KK.

On first viewing I thought Owens was giving Kilkenny the handier frees and Galway lads had a lot more to do to earn theirs, but I have to say there's a lot more cuteness in Kilkenny tackling/half fouls whereas Galway were more blatant.

Kilkenny turn up and go out and do whatever it takes to win, yes they're a more limited team than what we're used to but they do what it says on the Kilkenny tin. Galway were a bit more tenative and weren't ruthless enough, left two goals behind them due to poor last balls in, one into whelans feet rather than to hand and the other too far in front of Fahy leaving no angle to work with and easily closed down by Murphy in the Galway net.
Those go in and we have a different game.

But they didn't and that's why Galway are looking at in all probability Cork, which could go either way, no offence to Antrim in Corrigan.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on June 05, 2022, 06:24:09 PM
Clare still have work to do.

:o

Considering that no one gave them a puff of a chance to come out of Munster and were probably favourites to be bottom of the group I'd say they've done loads already and depending on how they recover mentally they will take some beating in 2022.

They have a steeliness that only Limerick going full on can better and TBH I'd have said Limerick will canter to an AI this year, they've drawn with Clare in the round robin and had to go to extra time yesterday.

Clare should fear no one else left in the competition and will hope to get another go at Limerick.

5'10" Tony Kelly was the best player on the pitch in a game meant to be dominated by giants of men that's heartening to see, his tracking back to hook and then rob Hegarty, take off down the field to score a great point off the hurl at full tilt is probably only slightly ahead of the Hegarty goal with his own piece of sublime skill.

A joy of a game to watch.

imtommygunn

Quote from: johnnycool on June 06, 2022, 11:27:16 AM
Poor game. When will players learn that spare hand pulling and dragging for all to see results in a free. Galway gave Tj every chance to win the game for KK.

On first viewing I thought Owens was giving Kilkenny the handier frees and Galway lads had a lot more to do to earn theirs, but I have to say there's a lot more cuteness in Kilkenny tackling/half fouls whereas Galway were more blatant.

Kilkenny turn up and go out and do whatever it takes to win, yes they're a more limited team than what we're used to but they do what it says on the Kilkenny tin. Galway were a bit more tenative and weren't ruthless enough, left two goals behind them due to poor last balls in, one into whelans feet rather than to hand and the other too far in front of Fahy leaving no angle to work with and easily closed down by Murphy in the Galway net.

But they didn't and that's why Galway are looking at in all probability Cork, which could go either way, no offence to Antrim in Corrigan.

I think Whelan needed attempted GBH on him to get a free  ;D

Yeah Clare still have work to do is quite a take after that performance. That Kelly sideline ball was unbelievable. Under that pressure, from that angle at that time in a game. I don't know I've ever seen another hurler who could do that. Credit to Lohan who is making some job of Clare. I am not sure Davy will be happy.

marty34

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 06, 2022, 01:42:38 PM

Yeah Clare still have work to do is quite a take after that performance. That Kelly sideline ball was unbelievable. Under that pressure, from that angle at that time in a game. I don't know I've ever seen another hurler who could do that. Credit to Lohan who is making some job of Clare. I am not sure Davy will be happy.

Good point. Lohan doing a great job with Clare, considering what was happening behind the scenes a few years ago.

Lohan has changed things up - Conlon at No. 6, Fitzgerald to mid-field and Duggan back in as well as introducing a few young lads.

I think Lawlor at full-back is a great player - solid and very Cody like. No fuss No. 3.  I think he is seriously under-rated. He had a real good battle with Whelan. Although Whelan got 3 or 4 pts, Lawlor did really well, especially in the second half. 

Whelan got his first point on the side-line, around the 21. Lawlordid everything right but Whelan put some spin on it to get it over the bar from the tighest of angles.  A magic score.

Whelan's only fault on Saturday evening was he fouled Lawlor, in each half, in the corners. Bad frees to give away when Lawlor had nowhere to go.

Game never really took off. Small crowd and game never gave the supporters anything to shout about. 7pm not a great time on a Saturday evening.  Maybe   Portlaois or Tullamore would've suited better.

T.J. only about 35 pts (I think) behinh Pat Horgan now so with Horgan not certain of starting and T.J. having another game, I'm sure he'll close that gap further over the next few weeks.

Whether he's back next year, who knows but I can't see him not stopping now. He's still some operator - made a super catch in the second half.

Galway were disappointing.  Never got going and players who were going really well, never got going at all e.g. Tom Monaghan and Brian Concannon etc.  Kilkenny do what Kilkenny do.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 06, 2022, 01:42:38 PM

Don't you know Davy worked with some of these lads, a glass of MiWadi can work wonders in Davy's front room.

When you look at what went on behind the scenes to ensure Lohan didn't get the job a few years back then it makes you wonder why his face didn't fit and I know all about the Fitzgibbon game, but whatever else has went on runs deep down there.

Clare play to their strengths and will bring on a few young lads to bolster the panel but it's the here and now for them IMO, not winning yesterday will cut deep and only an AI will sate Lohans thirst.

Getting Wexford gives them a chance to go a step further and they should win that one, but heads need to be right.

imtommygunn

I thought Galway were very poor Marty and would agree on the KK full back. Galway just don't have a threatening set of forwards at all. I think it is pace - none of them, Whelan aside, seem to set the world alight with their pace. Whelan still on his way back to fitness too. They still have some great operators further back but the forwards just don't have it I don't think. The question is does Henry have it?

Yeah Clare and Lohan / Fitzgerald a mess of a situation. I suspect it impacts his ability to do impartial analysis a fair bit too. Wonder what RTE think of that.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 06, 2022, 04:22:40 PM
I thought Galway were very poor Marty and would agree on the KK full back. Galway just don't have a threatening set of forwards at all. I think it is pace - none of them, Whelan aside, seem to set the world alight with their pace. Whelan still on his way back to fitness too. They still have some great operators further back but the forwards just don't have it I don't think. The question is does Henry have it?

Yeah Clare and Lohan / Fitzgerald a mess of a situation. I suspect it impacts his ability to do impartial analysis a fair bit too. Wonder what RTE think of that.

gotta remember who's full time secretary in Clare and how Lohan has had to fight for resources for the senior hurlers, so much so a new fundraising group was set up due to lack of support from said CB.

When all that is taken into account Lohan has done some job.

imtommygunn

Fantastic.

I was reading a few interesting threads on twitter wrt Tony Kelly. Some have him down as borderline the greatest ever and then there are some who have him down as not a team player and how dare he go for that sideline cut at the end with so much at stake. The minority are the not a team player ones. I know he scores a lot himself but I would have thought he was fine in terms of being a team player.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 07, 2022, 10:42:17 AM
Fantastic.

I was reading a few interesting threads on twitter wrt Tony Kelly. Some have him down as borderline the greatest ever and then there are some who have him down as not a team player and how dare he go for that sideline cut at the end with so much at stake. The minority are the not a team player ones. I know he scores a lot himself but I would have thought he was fine in terms of being a team player.

He handed over his free taking duties during the game, and this a man who never misses.. not many would do that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

didlyi

Tony pointed a sideline similar to Sunday during the 2018 semi final v Galway. Almost the same angle and same side. He knew it was in his locker to point it. Ridiculous to suggest he is not a team player. There has been 3 or 4 example in the last few games where he elected to pass where he should have taken on the score himself.

CitySlicker11

The 'not a team player' brigade are the type that would start an argument in an empty room. The majority rightly have him labelled as one of the greatest ever.

johnnycool

Fantastic.

Certainly he was accused of that in years gone by, including not tracking back etc etc, but the wonder point he scored had him hooking Hegarty on his own 65 before carrying it up the field to score off the hurl dispels that myth for me.

Lohan wouldn't tolerate passengers on his team and Kelly knows that.

Love him as a hurler, skill, speed, balance, jinky, accurate, what more can you ask?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on June 07, 2022, 11:10:44 AM
Fantastic.

Certainly he was accused of that in years gone by, including not tracking back etc etc, but the wonder point he scored had him hooking Hegarty on his own 65 before carrying it up the field to score off the hurl dispels that myth for me.

Love him as a hurler, skill, speed, balance, jinky, accurate, what more can you ask?

One of the greatest ever, that point had everything

imtommygunn

Yeah I would agree and I guess that you will get complainers about everything.

The only other player ever I have seen that I think could have scored that point was Joe Canning.

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on June 07, 2022, 11:10:44 AM
Fantastic.

Key thing is, for all the power and muscle nowadays, there's always room for a TK or Shane O'Donnell etc.