Hurling 2022

Started by Dag Dog, January 17, 2022, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 23, 2022, 07:33:31 PM
Apparently not, there's a couple of posters on the Antrim thread that would have nailed that position had they been offered it ;D

You Milltown lads know how to get yer hands on the money anyway...

Hungry hoors (not that I'd say that to big Anto's face..  ;D  )

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on March 24, 2022, 01:54:29 PM
The longest time previously between Cork all Irelands was 16 years. 1903 to 1919.
Their last All Ireland was 2005...

I think you might be adding another year onto that unless they find a way of dealing with the high ball on top of their defenders.

Rory O'Connor had a field day down there at the weekend.

KK will go on top of big Walters head and whilst I think he drops a lot of ball for a man his size they need to be able to cope with that.

imtommygunn

Honestly think it will be years before Cork win an AI again. It will depend on how they transition underage talent but I don't think it's in their current crop tbh. Also what happens when Horgan goes as he has been carrying them for years.

seafoid

At the moment, Cork are off the pace while both Tipp and KK are rebuilding. Long may it last

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 24, 2022, 04:47:23 PM
Honestly think it will be years before Cork win an AI again. It will depend on how they transition underage talent but I don't think it's in their current crop tbh. Also what happens when Horgan goes as he has been carrying them for years.

Horgan is a great hurler, no doubt but needs a particular type of ball to work with, low, diagonal ball for him to run onto. He gets that type of service and he'll do serious damage. If Coleman and the two Cork midfielders are getting knocked backwards, prevented from running through and putting the ball on a platter for him like in the AI final then you might as well have me on as Horgan.

Winning dirty or 50/50 ball isn't his thing and he's a bit old in the tooth to add that to his game. Lehane has a similar weakness to his game, only Harnedy can work dirty ball in the current forward pack for Cork. That's why I think they've an Achilles heel when it comes to the business end of the championship.
Deccy Dalton was shaping up to be that type of hurler but doesn't get much gametime as the speedsters are having a good enough run of it to date, but that will change in May and June..

keep her low this half

Cork v Kilkenny was a hugely enjoyable game, helped by the large crowd and the ref letting lots go. Cork have serious pace in that team but Kilkenny have plenty of physicality and good hurlers, with TJ back they won't be far away from a third Leinster in a row. I suspect both sides could make and AI semi final although I am not sure either will get the better of Limerick or even Waterford.

marty34

Quote from: keep her low this half on March 26, 2022, 08:53:00 PM
Cork v Kilkenny was a hugely enjoyable game, helped by the large crowd and the ref letting lots go. Cork have serious pace in that team but Kilkenny have plenty of physicality and good hurlers, with TJ back they won't be far away from a third Leinster in a row. I suspect both sides could make and AI semi final although I am not sure either will get the better of Limerick or even Waterford.

I'd day Cody had a queit word with Stack at half-time. I think KK only got one free in the whole first half while Horgan had free shots all night in the first 35 mins....even though the game was 50/50% possession.

Cork's pace pulled them through in the 2nd half - fast running off the shoulder. KK couldn't win a ball in the half forwards in the second half.

Enjoyable game though in very good conditions. For all the craic that nobody 'wants' to win the league, that clearly wasn't evident this evening.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on March 26, 2022, 09:06:18 PM
Quote from: keep her low this half on March 26, 2022, 08:53:00 PM

I'd day Cody had a queit word with Stack at half-time. I think KK only got one free in the whole first half while Horgan had free shots all night in the first 35 mins....even though the game was 50/50% possession.

Cork's pace pulled them through in the 2nd half - fast running off the shoulder. KK couldn't win a ball in the half forwards in the second half.

Enjoyable game though in very good conditions. For all the craic that nobody 'wants' to win the league, that clearly wasn't evident this evening.

Yip, Corks pace saw them through at the end when the Kilkenny legs tired and they reverted to type, raining down high ball on Walter who Cork managed to prevent from catching and then be quicker to the breaks. The Cats just aren't slick enough at working it through the lines, one particular instance at the end just after the Cork goal when the Cats needed a score the pass from the corner back with into the feet of the midfielder, who's touch forced the ball high, taken from him by two Cork lads who rattled over a point, that was a four point goal rather than the two Kilkenny needed to settle themselves again. Fine margins

Neither of these two teams have a national title in their locker for a few years now and that's a famine in their terms, Corks need is greater. Kilkenny's wait goes on as that shared one in 2021 doesn't count.

marty34

Hard to know what KK's/Cody's puck out strategy is. Murphy doesn't look accurate on the zippy puck outs to the half-backs or mid-fielders.  He's confident with the 20 yard passes to the full-back line.

When things went against them, they just went to type and went route one down on top of the half-forwards.  Cork picked up the breaking ball and pushed on.

Signs in first half of what KK are capable of but lost their way in 2nd half.

Cork full-back line could be there undoing - needed sorted asap.  They played well up front without Horgan and Kingston on full cylinders.  Joyce seems a real find for them.

Milltown Row2

Waterford playing well...

Should be a tough Munster championship this year..

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Has Waterford been instructed to go for goals?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

Effy enough red card, i thought he caught him in the groin but he went Down holding his stomach. Stupid wee tap bck to do when so far ahead. No.2 doesn't come out of it all great either.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 27, 2022, 05:14:41 PM
Effy enough red card, i thought he caught him in the groin but he went Down holding his stomach. Stupid wee tap bck to do when so far ahead. No.2 doesn't come out of it all great either.

No was the softest of touches but plain stupid by Gleason to even do it when 50 points up, he has a tendency to do things like that.

While the defender looks silly for going down Gleason was a thousand times wrong for doing it.

League finals don't come around that often, that's one he'll miss, the manager was fuming

keep her low this half

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 27, 2022, 04:33:00 PM

Waterford are a joy to watch with their movement and playing through the lines. The 5 team championship should suit them as they have a very deep panel. If this weekends matches are anything to go by we are in for a treat. I hope Limerick drop a game or two in the round robin to keep it interesting. There is always a danger that they just blow everyone away.

johnnycool

Quote from: keep her low this half on March 27, 2022, 05:44:24 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 27, 2022, 04:33:00 PM

Waterford are a joy to watch with their movement and playing through the lines. The 5 team championship should suit them as they have a very deep panel. If this weekends matches are anything to go by we are in for a treat. I hope Limerick drop a game or two in the round robin to keep it interesting. There is always a danger that they just blow everyone away.

Three teams genuinely feel they're in with a chance of lifting Liam this year.

Limerick
Waterford
Cork

Others that could be in the mix if they find a bit of form, Galway in particular are the proverbial curates egg...

Kilkenny
Tipp
Galway
Wexford

Still think Clare and the Dubs are a tad below that but could easily beat any of the four above on the day.

Interesting championship coming up in a few weeks.