Started by Loup Bandit, May 08, 2007, 04:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Listened to mark lynch on the gaa social podcast today, and he seems like a sound man. With himself and Sean Marty did banagher ever get close to winning a Derry championship?

Mario

Quote from: 03,05,08 on May 04, 2022, 04:03:14 PM
Listened to mark lynch on the gaa social podcast today, and he seems like a sound man. With himself and Sean Marty did banagher ever get close to winning a Derry championship?
Closest they got was a semi final appearance in 2019 and maybe one in the late noughties against Ballinderry I think.

restorepride

Quote from: 03,05,08 on May 04, 2022, 04:03:14 PM
They did run us close one year in a semi final in Celtic Park, I think. In Mark's father's time, they were in 2 or 3 finals but have never won it. Gerry McElhinney played for them around that time as well, I think.

restorepride

I read Gallagher is getting great praise for his tactics last Sunday from the GAA pundits and rightly so. Also for his encouragement from the sidelines. Apparently the players feed off his passion and engagement. He certainly has restored pride in the jersey for Doire and brought great hope.  Would be great to possibly update 1998!

restorepride

Here's to another big performance today! Doire abĂș!

Derry Optimist

Let all Derry supporters, at home and abroad, take a little time out to praise the two tremendous victories over Tyrone and Monaghan which Derry have achieved, in such glorious fashion, over the past few weeks. I have been watching Derry football for a long time and I have to say that the present panel of players have both the all round ability and commitment to create their own unique history in the near future.

So great an impression have they all made within a short time frame that no less than 11 of them have been given national accolades in various media outlets, ie being selected for man of the match awards or selected on teams of the week.I refer,  of course, to Odhran Lynch,Chrissy McKaigue,Brendan Rogers,Conor McCluskey, Conor Doherty,Gareth McKinless,Conor Glass, Ethan Doherty,Benny Heron,Niall Loughlin and Shane McGuigan.The missing four in my opinion were simply not selected because it would not look well if the whole Derry 15 individuals were nationally acclaimed!

We Derry supporters make  no such false assumptions.Sitting beside a good friend last Sunday in Armagh we came to the conclusion that no one covered so much ground for the cause than Padraig McGrogan and no one will ever score two such vital points when required as did Paul Cassidy against Monaghan.That leaves us with just two other unsung heroes,ie Shea Downey and Emmett Bradley.Shea with doubt is Mr Versatile who can and does play everywhere with equal aplomb and with radar alertness and what better secret weapon in the Derry armoury is there  than the tactical use of Emmett Bradley? Just introduced into the game, he went on a 100 yards dash to score a brilliant point which at this early stage has to be a contender for point of the year.Similarly Benny Heron's second goal, for its magical creation and splendid execution has to be goal of the year along with Ethan Doherty's wondrous tackle of course!

Let all of us not get way laid by unimportant side issues and restore the Derry page to highlighting our achievements, even if we have not won anything yet.But remember we have beaten two Division One teams to get to the Ulster final and have the undoubted ability, on and off the field, to lift this year's Anglo Celt cup.

The combined phenomenal work rate and skill of this whole team,brilliantly devised under the astute leadership of one of the best ever managers in Rory Gallagher has to be applauded by all right thinking GAA people. A repeat performance(s) by all concerned can make 2022 a memorable one for Derry football.

Wildweasel74

Too much in the papers, Donegal saying f**k all, I rather we do our talking after we won something.

tbrick18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 18, 2022, 10:32:11 PM
Too much in the papers, Donegal saying f**k all, I rather we do our talking after we won something.

Funny I was thinking the same thing.
Derry have a chance, nothing more.
Donegal are heavy favourites imo, they have proven big game experience and know how to win. They will be armed with the knowledge of how Monaghan put us under the cosh on the second half so could do that to us for the whole game. They'll be sitting back quietly happy the spotlight is off them right now and on Derry instead.

Can we win a tight game? Or a game we fall behind in early on? Can we change our tactics enough to chase a game in the last 15 mins if behind? All unkowns at this point.
That's not taking away from the manner of performance so far, just a realistic view of a supporter who has seen many false dawns with Derry.

If everything goes well for us on the day, we can impose our game on Donegal and Loughlin is fit to play we have a good chance of competing.
If we cant impose our game, lose a player or two to injury or a card, we will really struggle. But then, any team can say that no matter who they are playing.

Feet on the ground....we qualified for a first final in 11 years (I think). That's real progress given the quality of teams we have beaten. How far we can go remains to be seen but even we lose, pride in the side has been restored and we can look forward with some confidence that things are moving in the right direction.

I'd be overjoyed if we can win an Ulster though.

Estimator

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 19, 2022, 02:41:53 PM

Donegal are heavy favourites imo, they have proven big game experience and know how to win. They will be armed with the knowledge of how Monaghan put us under the cosh on the second half so could do that to us for the whole game. They'll be sitting back quietly happy the spotlight is off them right now and on Derry instead.

Can we win a tight game? Or a game we fall behind in early on? Can we change our tactics enough to chase a game in the last 15 mins if behind? All unkowns at this point.
That's not taking away from the manner of performance so far, just a realistic view of a supporter who has seen many false dawns with Derry.

If everything goes well for us on the day, we can impose our game on Donegal and Loughlin is fit to play we have a good chance of competing.
If we cant impose our game, lose a player or two to injury or a card, we will really struggle. But then, any team can say that no matter who they are playing.

Feet on the ground....we qualified for a first final in 11 years (I think). That's real progress given the quality of teams we have beaten. How far we can go remains to be seen but even we lose, pride in the side has been restored and we can look forward with some confidence that things are moving in the right direction.

Wouldn't read to much into that (pun intended).
All the stuff in the papers so far this week are from interviews done on the pitch in the immediate aftermath of the game.
There was a number of journos going around speaking to players for a few minutes.
Ulster League Champions 2009

oakleaflad

Any chance of this? I assumed he was out but heard nothing since

Loughshore2022

I noticed that Odhran Lynch was in the St Mary's Magherafelt team that won the 2017 MacRory. It got me thinking, how did Daniel Bradley of Ballymaguigan never get a look in for county? He was one of the best players on that team.
Probably because he is from an Intermediate club which is a curse. Derry have a Greenlough player though who were Intermediate for years. Maybe he had trials for minor and didn't get on, I don't know.

Wildweasel74

Cassidy was the best Derry player of that team and he's even really got a chance yet. Alot of the very good players on that team were antrim lads.

Will it ever end

Do we just completely forget about Conor McCluskey?

tbrick18

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 19, 2022, 03:08:01 PM

Haven't heard anything either.
Looked like a hamstring issue on the day, would be doubtful if he makes a recovery from that in 2 weeks I suppose.
That will weaken us as he was going well. Free taking would be a massive loss but his movement and open play have been very good.

restorepride

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 20, 2022, 09:30:08 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on May 19, 2022, 03:08:01 PM

Haven't heard anything either.
Looked like a hamstring issue on the day, would be doubtful if he makes a recovery from that in 2 weeks I suppose.
That will weaken us as he was going well. Free taking would be a massive loss but his movement and open play have been very good.
Agree, a significant loss. Though enough time to plan for his probable absence.