Division one 2021

Started by tonto1888, December 14, 2020, 07:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solo_run

Quote from: macker15 on June 13, 2021, 07:48:26 PM
Remember Galway supporters looked down on Kevin Walsh style of ball.  Everyone PJ  would bring the sexiness back to Galway football and dining back at top table.

I usually like Galway but they were horrible to watch today and didn't close out the game to boot. It seemed like they were too busy trying to ruffle feathers at the end rather than play.

joemamas

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 13, 2021, 06:57:49 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 13, 2021, 06:47:38 PM
The split into 2×4 was arseways. Galway aren't the second worst team in D1. Neither are Monaghan.

It was the same in the hurling. The standard in Galway's pool was far higher than in the other one.

If the footballers are any good they will be ar ais arís next year.
Galway clearly are because that's what the facts say right now, only win was against the other team relegated.

5 points up in the 67th minute, no point blaming the insane league structures for this, what group of well coached players would lose out from there? Where are the players heads now going into the championship? We are going f**king nowhere at the minute even if we stayed up, Mayo are rolling again with another coming team even after losing some of the greatest players that ever wore the shirt for them.
Joyce has said it's all about the championship, he'll have benefit of the doubt until we see how Galway perform but the signs are very worrying to be honest.

IMO GAlway lost it during the ten minute period 49th to 59th minute.
Monaghan were on their second black card and had to be tired after just ending a similar ten minute 14 man period about two minutes before.
During that time, Galway went from 2-9 to 0-11, to 2-11 to 0-13, they played keep ball which I thought was very poor tactically.
Having said that, Roscommon backs are poor, and if Galway meet Mayo, it will be the usual Connacht championship slugfest.

Cunny Funt

The split into 2×4 was arseways. Galway aren't the second worst team in D1. Neither are Monaghan.

It was the same in the hurling. The standard in Galway's pool was far higher than in the other one.

Galway are whether you want to believe it or not.  Good news for Galway is the gap from the 7th and 8th worse in Div 1 so that should mean another Connacht final for Galway and with the big scores Mayo are conceding i would expect another competitive final between the two.

Armagh v Roscommon was the prime opportunity to show where both really are and what it showed is Armagh are on upwards trajectory and have the potential to win a Ulster title sooner than latter, Roscommon have gone the opposite way and won't be winning any Connacht title after this relegation.

Monaghan are some warriors and their players and management celebrated at the full time whistle as if they had won another provincial title.

Maroon Manc

Pathetic stuff on two accounts, first of all Galway left so many easy scores behind them and then showed zero game management in the closing stages. Time and time again Galway waltzed in on the Monaghan goal, Tierney and Kelly had good goal opportunities in the first half as did Heaney who missed an open net in the 2nd half along with Finnerty hand passing ac0rss the goal to nobody. All Galway's scores were relatively routine whilst Monaghan mainly McCarron kicked some brilliant difficult scores. Finnerty missed a chance in both halves from about 25 metres out in front of the posts as did Walsh who must have dropped 4 or 5 shots into Beggan's hands and had his worst game in a long time.

As for the game management, the goal is a farce; The defender in question isn't good enough and we all know that, the way he got caught in possession in his own half in extra time another example of why he's not upto it. Time and time again Beggan managed to get his kick away despite Galway having a man extra for about 20 minutes of that second half. I can barely remember Galway making any sort of tactical foul to slow Monaghan up, happy to allow them waltz up the pitch for 80 metre without a hand laid on them. Tierney played well and caused Monaghan a lot of problems and Sweeney certainly made an impact and Paul Kelly seems to have that knack of been in the right place at the right time for a goal opportunity.

Main Street

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 13, 2021, 08:04:33 PM

Galway are whether you want to believe it or not.  Good news for Galway is the gap from the 7th and 8th worse in Div 1 so that should mean another Connacht final for Galway and with the big scores Mayo are conceding i would expect another competitive final between the two.

Armagh v Roscommon was the prime opportunity to show where both really are and what it showed is Armagh are on upwards trajectory and have the potential to win a Ulster title sooner than latter, Roscommon have gone the opposite way and won't be winning any Connacht title after this relegation.

Monaghan are some warriors and their players and management celebrated at the full time whistle as if they had won another provincial title.
In the circumstances of a cliffhanger finish  after being certified dead, one can understand the turbo charged Monaghan celebrations.

As regards Gough, though I didn't get a good look at the two Monaghan black cards, Gough was close by to observe. And he was lenient with both those  players  later on in the game when they committed (imo) yellow card tackles.

What defines a tackle and a foul still eludes me, sometimes the slightest touch is a foul and two handed mauling  is let go, perhaps Gough played advantage on those occasions.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 13, 2021, 08:11:01 PM
Pathetic stuff on two accounts, first of all Galway left so many easy scores behind them and then showed zero game management in the closing stages. Time and time again Galway waltzed in on the Monaghan goal, Tierney and Kelly had good goal opportunities in the first half as did Heaney who missed an open net in the 2nd half along with Finnerty hand passing ac0rss the goal to nobody. All Galway's scores were relatively routine whilst Monaghan mainly McCarron kicked some brilliant difficult scores. Finnerty missed a chance in both halves from about 25 metres out in front of the posts as did Walsh who must have dropped 4 or 5 shots into Beggan's hands and had his worst game in a long time.

As for the game management, the goal is a farce; The defender in question isn't good enough and we all know that, the way he got caught in possession in his own half in extra time another example of why he's not upto it. Time and time again Beggan managed to get his kick away despite Galway having a man extra for about 20 minutes of that second half. I can barely remember Galway making any sort of tactical foul to slow Monaghan up, happy to allow them waltz up the pitch for 80 metre without a hand laid on them. Tierney played well and caused Monaghan a lot of problems and Sweeney certainly made an impact and Paul Kelly seems to have that knack of been in the right place at the right time for a goal opportunity.
Tierney was good today and showed what he has in the locker, a shame his shot from 45 didn't go in. Even his low shot that Beggan saved in the first half was the correct thing to do he didn't just throw a leg at it, outstanding save down low from a top keeper.

In truth we've been in freefall since the resumption of matches last October, only 1 win in 7 matches tells the tale. I'm scratching my head at the sideline every game at this stage but even at that, a lot of players just didn't play well either. Galway don't have the squad to be without Comer and John Daly but there was enough out there to get a result today, no idea how Shane Walsh was shortlisted for MOTM by Burns, one of his worst games in a long time.

StPatsAbu

Is keeping Armagh in div 1 today McGeeney's greatest achievement in all his years as an intercounty manager?

Solo_run

Quote from: StPatsAbu on June 13, 2021, 08:45:06 PM
Is keeping Armagh in div 1 today McGeeney's greatest achievement in all his years as an intercounty manager?

Here we go - got a stick up your arse about Armagh today haven't you?

seafoid

It's a pity that Monaghan team didn't get to an all Ireland final and win it. They might have in another time with Dublin treated like any other county.

straightred

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 13, 2021, 08:44:31 PM

Tierney was good today and showed what he has in the locker, a shame his shot from 45 didn't go in. Even his low shot that Beggan saved in the first half was the correct thing to do he didn't just throw a leg at it, outstanding save down low from a top keeper.

In truth we've been in freefall since the resumption of matches last October, only 1 win in 7 matches tells the tale. I'm scratching my head at the sideline every game at this stage but even at that, a lot of players just didn't play well either. Galway don't have the squad to be without Comer and John Daly but there was enough out there to get a result today, no idea how Shane Walsh was shortlisted for MOTM by Burns, one of his worst games in a long time.
It would have been a brilliant opportunist goal but Gough is probably delighted he missed. I thought he blew for a monaghan mark and then let the galway player wrestle the ball from him. Even if it was a free for galway then it was taken at least 10 yards from were it should have been. My Irish isn't good enough to know what the commentators thought.

straightred

Quote from: seafoid on June 13, 2021, 08:49:30 PM
It's a pity that Monaghan team didn't get to an all Ireland final and win it. They might have in another time with Dublin treated like any other county.
Not quite good enough even discounting Dublin. However, they are a great advert for what you can do with limited resoruces

Rossfan

We got what we deserved today for a flat, pedestrian brain dead performance.
The old problems of lack of midfield and a defence made up of attacking half backs who don't mark or tackle came home to roost again once we weren't playing on the front foot.
I don't think we need to worry about how many spectators will be allowed at the CF. :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

StPatsAbu

Quote from: Solo_run on June 13, 2021, 08:46:51 PM
Quote from: StPatsAbu on June 13, 2021, 08:45:06 PM

Here we go - got a stick up your arse about Armagh today haven't you?

Sorry to annoy ye but it's McGeeney's managerial career we're taking about. What else has he achieved that's bigger?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: straightred on June 13, 2021, 08:57:44 PM

It would have been a brilliant opportunist goal but Gough is probably delighted he missed. I thought he blew for a monaghan mark and then let the galway player wrestle the ball from him. Even if it was a free for galway then it was taken at least 10 yards from were it should have been. My Irish isn't good enough to know what the commentators thought.

I'm under the impression the referee blows the whistle anytime the mark is available and its up to the player to claim it by putting his hand up which he didn't do in this case.

Main Street

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 13, 2021, 09:19:02 PM
Quote from: straightred on June 13, 2021, 08:57:44 PM

I'm under the impression the referee blows the whistle anytime the mark is available and its up to the player to claim it by putting his hand up which he didn't do in this case.
That's exactly what happened. The Galway player was tuned in.