Division one 2021

Started by tonto1888, December 14, 2020, 07:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 17, 2021, 07:54:40 PM
Jesus could you imagine 2 hours of punditry on football?

How would it be 2 hours of punditry?

The majority of the show should be showing matches. The criticism levied here is that the Armagh-Monaghan game amounted to a 1 minute highlight reel when it should probably have had about 10.

You would be doing well to fit sufficient coverage of 16 league matches into a 2 hour show at that.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

TG4 run a highlight show which gives you what you need, no codswallop from jumped up attention seeking pundits.

Make your own opinion, but keep it to yourself  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

the media lads are already blowing up Kerry v Dublin as a rehearsal for later in the year

Orior

I didn't get to see the Monaghan v Armagh match but I did see the Tyrone v Donegal match.

I absolutely detest the practice of getting 14 or 15 men behind the ball and as a spectacle I think it is killing the game. Therefore I would like to see a few more rule changes, e.g. full forwards cannot cross the halfway line. 
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Quote from: Orior on May 17, 2021, 09:48:36 PM
I didn't get to see the Monaghan v Armagh match but I did see the Tyrone v Donegal match.

If you in Ireland it is on the TG4 player, if you want to see Armagh's first Div 1 victory in a while.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on May 17, 2021, 12:29:08 AM
Quote from: Main Street on May 16, 2021, 11:38:29 PM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on May 16, 2021, 11:23:34 PM
Quote from: straightred on May 16, 2021, 10:15:38 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on May 16, 2021, 08:22:13 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 16, 2021, 07:11:43 PM
Quote from: straightred on May 16, 2021, 03:46:32 PM
Quote from: Schkite on May 16, 2021, 03:44:58 PM
I'm not well up on the new rules so maybe I'm missing some new interpretation - but one of the most obvious looking black cards wasn't given at the end of the Monaghan/Armagh first half, when a Monaghan forward was pulled back from being straight through on goal after a poor kickout. I've no idea how the officials arrive at some of these decisions.

Bizarre decision. Thought it was also might have been a penalty as well but im not sure. You won't see a clearer black all year though

Was outside the big square. Kennedy was a very lucky boy tho.

Rules have changed tonto. 'Cynical' foul anywhere inside the 21 or the D that stops a goal scoring opportunity is now a penalty. Not sure if Kennedy's foul was inside the 21 though, maybe just outside.
He couldn't give the penalty if he didnt give the black card as the rule wouldn't apply then. Armagh still won well anyway but lets just say Brannigan is a poor ref and leave it at that.

but don't the definitions of 'cynical fouls' still apply? So a pull back isn't a cynical foul and can't be included as a black card or cynical penalty. If he had body collided / tripped him it may have been a different story.
Blame may be with the rule rather than the refq
Under the new rules IMO it was a penalty/black card,  although Brannigan blew up for the foul I don't think he saw the whole encounter that's why he consulted with the umpire, hardly ever an illuminating conversation.  All academic really  as Armagh were always ahead and led from pillar to post.
Other than that incident I thought Brannigan did well, at least better than my expectations.

Didn't see the incident, so my interest is purely academic.
Are you saying it was a penalty/black card because the foul was one of the 'nominated' cynical fouls? Or are you saying that the definition of a cynical foul has been widened with the introduction of the new rule?

Original post in this quote from Shkite refers to the player being pulled back
I'm saying that  under the current new (trial) rule it was a penalty/black card offence.
Monaghan's Sean Jones was dragged to the ground when clearly inside the 20m line.

From RTE Allianz Football League results and reports
15:36
29mins Monaghan 1-05 Armagh 1-06

A sloppy kick-out sees Sean Jones intercept the ball but he was hauled down by the last defender Ryan Kennedy. A free just outside the square is the result, which Aaron Mulligan converts, but it appears that Kennedy was not penalised for the cynical foul.

Louther

Me bad.

When the talk of the rules changes was happening I had assumed it was only for hurling for this drag down inside 21m and resulting penalty.

From talk on radio yesterday lot seemed to think same as it was a compromise from a hurling ref to the introduction of the black card to that game.

One thing that always bugs me is that over last week, particularly in hurling, the main talk has been around the rule changes and "no one asked us" narrative. I can't say I like some of the rule changes and more so the constant changes every year but I don't recall a vocal dissenting voice from many managers who have a profile and the media would have loved to hear form prior to the introduction of these changes. That's the time to make feelings known.

Back on track that one of Armagh V Monaghan was a prime example of the new rule not been used.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Louther on May 18, 2021, 09:52:24 AM
Me bad.

When the talk of the rules changes was happening I had assumed it was only for hurling for this drag down inside 21m and resulting penalty.

From talk on radio yesterday lot seemed to think same as it was a compromise from a hurling ref to the introduction of the black card to that game.

One thing that always bugs me is that over last week, particularly in hurling, the main talk has been around the rule changes and "no one asked us" narrative. I can't say I like some of the rule changes and more so the constant changes every year but I don't recall a vocal dissenting voice from many managers who have a profile and the media would have loved to hear form prior to the introduction of these changes. That's the time to make feelings known.

Back on track that one of Armagh V Monaghan was a prime example of the new rule not been used.

I get the black card rule for hurling, I've no real issues with it, player running in on goal inside the box penalty, a black card should he be pulled down on purpose and not in a last ditch honest tackle on the ball/player, my only concern is when a player is inside the 21, out on the wing and brought down, outside the rectangle and players coaches all screaming for penalties and black cards!

so many variables to take in before all those claims
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

Me bad.

From what I've read the ref didn't think it was deliberate and that it was just outside the 21

Louther

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 18, 2021, 10:39:00 AM
Me bad.

I get the black card rule for hurling, I've no real issues with it, player running in on goal inside the box penalty, a black card should he be pulled down on purpose and not in a last ditch honest tackle on the ball/player, my only concern is when a player is inside the 21, out on the wing and brought down, outside the rectangle and players coaches all screaming for penalties and black cards!

so many variables to take in before all those claims

A goal easier scored in hurling from that distance, so like yourself, I get the thinking behind it and was 2/3 cases last year where it happened. Out wide by sideline makes no sense and you dread that such an incident will happen in a big game and will be a huge talking point.

As always, lots for the man in the middle to take account off. Going to need lots of help from umpires and linesmen.

Rossfan

Louther, it's the GAA way. New rules proposed, discussed in media, passed at Congress and no word from managers till it's put into practice.
Then all Hell breaks loose.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 18, 2021, 10:39:46 AM
Me bad.

From what I've read the ref didn't think it was deliberate and that it was just outside the 21
The ref was spectacularly wrong on both counts. Have a look on TG4 player, from 29 min onward.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on May 18, 2021, 10:51:34 AM
Louther, it's the GAA way. New rules proposed, discussed in media, passed at Congress and no word from managers till it's put into practice.

There is a lack of communication, for me when that comes up as a motion that should always be discussed at county level, there should be an appointed rep from the CCC Ref's committee and various managers at club and county level. That would take one night to arrange and discuss, their responses should be discussed with the county representative/delegate who feeds that back into Croke park when these motions are either carried or binned.

If that is being done, then I've no problems, as its went through a process

Louther

Quote from: Rossfan on May 18, 2021, 10:51:34 AM

;D ;D Couldn't have put it better. Would the managers not be directing their anger at their own county boards for allowing it go through?

MR2 - you would hope that some process or discussion would be held but we have to remember the transparency of Congress and that any attempts to show direction of voting was rejected by congress. The line normally given is that delegates are voted into that position to make the decision on behalf of their county or they should be able to make their decision after hearing discussion on the motion itself.

I'm sure progressive counties take the steps you've outlined, while others just roll with it. Inconsistencies may be the issue here.

tonto1888

Quote from: Main Street on May 18, 2021, 11:00:10 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 18, 2021, 10:39:46 AM
Me bad.

The ref was spectacularly wrong on both counts. Have a look on TG4 player, from 29 min onward.

It was a definite black. No argument there from me. Will watch again. At the time I admit I wasn't paying a lot of attention to exactly where it happened as I was unaware of this new rule