China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 28, 2020, 04:08:24 PM
They are patrolling the Hals and if people are not adhering to the rules they'll let the students know of what's expected and if they still don't adhere to that then warnings will be given. I guess the approach of isolating a block rather than the whole place is a better option, the kids are being asked where they are going when they leave the grounds lol! 

On a floor you've 11 rooms, and kitchen sitting area, only 6 are allowed in at one time, and obviously no one is allowed into the dorms..

As Tyrdub has said some kids are taking the piss, imagine 18 year old's away from the house going a bit mad! My problem is why open the Halls and then have online lessons (which are pre recorded, not live) is it purely money?

I'd be happy to save myself a few quid and my daughter stay at home and do the lessons at home
You live in Belfast and your kid is staying in halls at QUB?

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 29, 2020, 09:24:07 AM
Meanwhile in Galway there were loads of people congregating around the Spanish Arch area last night.
And they're supposed to be the smart brainy ones..   
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

"It's only a cold"
"Let everyone get it so we can have immunity"
"It only effects the old"

Tell that to this poor woman

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0929/1168119-life-after-covid-19/

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Rossfan on September 29, 2020, 10:52:40 AM
"It's only a cold"

I don't think anyone denies the effects of Covid v Flu, now the results are in, so to speak.

But for every story like this, there are unknown thousands that get it and are just fine. Negative news sells unfortunately.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: HiMucker on September 29, 2020, 10:44:19 AM
They are patrolling the Hals and if people are not adhering to the rules they'll let the students know of what's expected and if they still don't adhere to that then warnings will be given. I guess the approach of isolating a block rather than the whole place is a better option, the kids are being asked where they are going when they leave the grounds lol! 

On a floor you've 11 rooms, and kitchen sitting area, only 6 are allowed in at one time, and obviously no one is allowed into the dorms..

As Tyrdub has said some kids are taking the piss, imagine 18 year old's away from the house going a bit mad! My problem is why open the Halls and then have online lessons (which are pre recorded, not live) is it purely money?

I'd be happy to save myself a few quid and my daughter stay at home and do the lessons at home
And what's wrong with that?
Careful now

Rudi

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 29, 2020, 10:55:14 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 29, 2020, 10:52:40 AM
"It's only a cold"

I don't think anyone denies the effects of Covid v Flu, now the results are in, so to speak.

But for every story like this, there are unknown thousands that get it and are just fine. Negative news sells unfortunately.

+1, in any statisical distrubution of the population there is always extreme cases. How many of us know people in their 30's & 40's who went to bed seemingly healthy & never woke up? But sure I'm a covid denier eh Rossfan.

imtommygunn

Yeah some people are a bit quick to jump on the deny stuff and if there's any sign of denying anything then they get labelled a denier and then just get called Karen...

It's pretty clear the impacts of this thing. Doesn't make all the restrictions correct in how they've been implemented especially when university students in particular have been hung out to dry. Schools you can kind of see that to some degree they are needed for economies(or no one can work) but universities they have stuffed up entirely and worst of all from the outside it just looks like wanting money. Also the not allowed in people like your parents house when you could actually go in briefly and be responsible is a nonsense. Sit 2 metres apart and wash your hands on the way in and way out.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: HiMucker on September 29, 2020, 10:44:19 AM

I have lived Jordanstown (15 minutes up the road  :-X ) for 20 odd years now, and she wants the 'student experience' whatever that is at the moment, I wasnt a student myself but certainly lived the student life back in the day!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hound

I think it's good that RTÉ are running more stories about actual cases that have caused problems even after Covid has gone, just so people are kept aware and don't forget that you don't really want to be getting this.

I've a close relative in the UK in her late 30s with a similar story to the one linked above. No history, took a long time to get rid of Covid, left with lung scarring, respiratory issues and onsets of extreme fatigue.

I've an aunt in her early 70s who, up to Christmas, was enjoying her retirement and had just treated herself to a new car. Had a fall. Needed an op on her back and neck. Big op but all went well, would need 2/3 months recuperation, but prognosis was good. Went into a nursing home to recuperate as was laid up. Nursing home took in non-Covid patients from Beaumont as Beamount had to free up beds for the incoming first Covid wave. Covid got into the nursing home, most of the residents got it, many died, my aunt got it and survived. But with Covid gone, she's been left with Parkinson's.

Covid is known to cause issues with heart, lungs and brain. Nobody knows if the Parkinson's caused the fall, the fall caused the Parkinson's, or Covid caused the Parkinson's. But every chance Covid exacerbated it or maybe even caused it, given it came as a complete surprise to us.

Rossfan

Stop being negative Hound sure they're only statistics according to some geniuses!!

Rudi

Quote from: Rossfan on September 29, 2020, 01:06:42 PM
Stop being negative Hound sure they're only statistics according to some geniuses!!

The whole basis for any scientific study is based on data & stats. It proves or dis-proves a theory based on populations of standard sampling. Your an annoying kind of fella, with your constant snide remarks. Very little substance to your posts.

seafoid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/09/29/coronavirus-deaths-hit-one-million-many-lives-will-claim/

'An increase in deaths is inevitable'
Devi Sridhar, professor of global public health, University of Edinburgh
"Deaths are still going to continue to climb as the number of new cases hasn't levelled off and we haven't reached the peak yet. In countries like Brazil, India, Russia and the US the disease is not under control.
"Realistically, we're still going to see more cases and deaths to come, especially as we hit winter in the northern hemisphere.
"At the beginning of the pandemic, people asked: 'What is South Korea and Germany's secret? How did they keep deaths low?' But they had early intervention and could offer top medical care.
"But if hospitals become overwhelmed and people aren't admitted, then the case fatality rate (CFR) will increase because survival depends on medical care.
"Now, the CFR is about 0.6 per cent and people are saying the disease isn't that serious. But the CFR will stay low only if people can get care when they need it.

"In developing countries, it's hard to predict what will happen. In Africa, the pandemic has not hit as we predicted. Having read across the literature, there's not one proven conclusion. In sub-Saharan Africa, countries reacted really quickly and many shut their borders before they had even one case.
"In India the virus ripped through slums, but the fatality was not that high. In these very poor contexts, there's already been some kind of self-selection. These communities face continuing infectious disease outbreaks – TB, malaria, diarrhoea and pneumonia – and you have a young population. When the virus came, many of the vulnerable would already have been taken out by that – this doesn't happen in high income countries.

"There's a six to seven-week lag between a case and a death, so I think we will continue to see numbers climbing – these big increases in cases here and in Europe will see deaths later down the line. The pandemic has a way to go, so sadly an increase is inevitable."

'It could easily spin out of control'
Martin McKee, professor of European public health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
"At the minute, case numbers are doubling every week and the really important point is that we're talking about exponential growth – so if nothing else changes you get one case, then two, four, eight, 16, etc. The rate of increase in absolute numbers is accelerating, so numbers can increase very quickly and the pandemic can easily spin out of control.
"We understand the disease a lot better now and know more about its transmission. We know it collects in the mouth and saliva, so being indoors with other people who may be infected is not going to be a good idea over the winter.
"We have also had a substantial improvement in treatment outcomes – at the beginning, everyone thought it was a viral pneumonia but then people realised blood was clotting and doctors put people on anti-coagulants and the steroid dexamethasone. Survival rates have definitely been improving.
"In Africa, there seems to be some protective immunity and there is a suggestion that people who have had parasitic worm infections have some kind of immunity – but the big factor in Africa affecting death rates is low levels of obesity.

Workers disinfect a grave of a person who died from Covid-19 in Gulu, northern Uganda  CREDIT: SOPA
"In Latin America, there are high levels of obesity and so you see high numbers of deaths in places like Peru and Ecuador.
"There is also a lot of variation in how people record deaths – you have to be very careful with the data. In the UK, reporting is changed so a death is counted as someone who dies within 28 days of having a positive test. But that's not that reliable. What everyone is now recognising is that the best way to measure deaths is excess all-cause mortality."
'We are by no means out of the woods yet'

Charlie Whittaker, researcher in infectious disease epidemiology, Imperial College, London
"We have an increasing number of effective drugs which, accompanied by improved clinical management, has contributed to reductions in Covid-19 mortality.
"The average age of cases has also dropped (seen in the chart below). Early on in the epidemic, a lot of our cases and associated deaths were in elderly populations. Now more young people are being affected and they have a lower, though not non-existent, risk of severe disease and death.
"But that doesn't mean that good news is necessarily on the horizon – because if you look at what's happened with some US states, like Florida, increases in cases in younger age groups tend to be followed by spread to other groups, specifically the elderly, the vulnerable and those most at risk from Covid-19.
"And we're now beginning to see that in the UK, where hospitals admissions have also begun to increase.

Protecting the elderly, who are more at risk of the disease, will be key to stopping the spread CREDIT: Chris de Bode for The Telegraph
"As we've seen across Europe, a lot of the gains that we've made in terms of suppressing the virus and reducing mortality are fragile. And we're by no means out of the woods just yet.
"Many countries in sub-Saharan Africa took rapid and decisive steps to curb spread of the virus and avoid large scale epidemics like we've seen across Europe to date – it's quite possible they haven't felt the full force of the pandemic, although it's difficult to tell.
"The quality of the systems that exist for reporting deaths vary so much between countries. Syria's an example of this: if you look at officially reported Covid-19 deaths coming out of Damascus, less than 100 have been reported since the first one back in March.
"Work we've carried out with Syrian doctors, however, examining excess mortality statistics and other sources of death data, including Facebook memorial groups, suggests as many as 4,500 deaths, meaning that only about one in 80 Covid-19 deaths has been included in the official mortality statistics coming out of the country.
"Lingering limitations in testing capacity and the difficulty of recording deaths outside hospitals in settings like these make accurate detection of the true burden challenging.
"This highlights the extent to which Covid-19 might have spread unobserved across many parts of the world that don't have the necessary systems in place to accurately capture patterns of mortality."
Two million deaths by the turn of the New Year
Epidemiologists have the unenviable task of trying to predict how the virus will take shape in the coming weeks and months.
According to projections collected by the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the death toll in the United States could climb by more than 20,000 to more than 225,000 by October 17.
Some models predict much higher deaths tolls, with Texas Tech University projecting 244,000 deaths by mid-October.
And analysis carried out by Imperial College, London, estimates that, over the next week, five countries will accumulate more than 1,000 additional deaths each – Brazil, India, Mexico, Columbia and Argentina.
The number of new deaths being reported in India alone is expected to pass 8,500 a week.

Most models err on the side of caution and do not publish estimates further than a few weeks ahead, due to the sheer number of variables involved.
But models projecting the spread of the virus up to the end of the year have been made by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME).
At the most conservative estimate, the global death toll is expected to pass two million by the turn of the New Year:
The team project that some of the hardest-hit world regions will include South Asia, Europe and Central Asia, with deaths anticipated to climb above 600,000 in each region.
More conservative estimates put the tally at below 500,000 in each region.
It is impossible to know exactly what the death toll will be, of course. What experts do agree on is that the impact of the virus will get worse and more people will lose their lives.
Last month, WHO director general, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said the pandemic could last up to two years.
"We have a disadvantage of globalisation, closeness, connectedness, but an advantage of better technology, so we hope to finish this pandemic before less than two years," he said.
By "utilising the available tools to the maximum and hoping that we can have additional tools like vaccines, I think we can finish it in a shorter time than the 1918 flu", he added.
Only time will tell.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Rudi on September 29, 2020, 01:34:17 PM

The whole basis for any scientific study is based on data & stats. It proves or dis-proves a theory based on populations of standard sampling. Your an annoying kind of fella, with your constant snide remarks. Very little substance to your posts.

Easier to spit than swallow.....as the old saying goes  ;)

Rossfan

Why don't you contact Ms Sheerin and tell her to stop being negative and that she's only a statistic?

supersarsfields

I don't agree with you on Covid but 100% agree with this. Rossfan's attempt to shout down/ belittle people with different view points is seriously irritating. The Karen posts of a month or two back being prime examples.