All Ireland u21 football championship 2015

Started by giveballaghback, February 16, 2015, 09:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

U21 failure not always an indication of senior results. An u21 team with Gooch, Bryan Sheehan, Seamus Scanlon, Kieran Donaghy, Declan Quill, Declan O'Sullivan and a few other Kerry seniors lost to Waterford u21s. A fair few of those have gone on to win 4 or 5 All-Ireland medals.

giveballaghback

I tipped kerry to beat cork on the back of the prep they had put in this year, when I heard they were lining out with 6 of last years minor team I was puzzled, too many young lads in what has become a very competitive physical grade.
To all those ye have won nothing yet at senior level well this Rossie team is going to be the best we have seen since the seventies, I have no doth about that, I have seen their 4 league games so far and we are changing as a team, playing better football and learning from playing at a higher level, we are one level away from div 1 and maybe we can make it this year but our midfield and defence needs tweaking and in doing that their may be reversals, our u21 team is the best we have ever had and I saw both our all-ireland u21 teams win their titles, dare to dream boys dare to dream.

larryin89

Quote from: blanketattack on March 19, 2015, 07:11:48 PM
U21 failure not always an indication of senior results. An u21 team with Gooch, Bryan Sheehan, Seamus Scanlon, Kieran Donaghy, Declan Quill, Declan O'Sullivan and a few other Kerry seniors lost to Waterford u21s. A fair few of those have gone on to win 4 or 5 All-Ireland medals.

Ssssshhhhh, the Rossies will absolutely throw in the towel if thats the case.

In fairness though an excellent under 21 team does a lot of the time bring you success at senior level.
Going back to even 83 with Mayo brought a lot lads to where we got to in 89, we had a couple of good under 21 sides in the early nineties too , which in turn gave us good senior period 96-99 and this present team have a fair few from 2006 under 21 team .

Kerry won 21 titles in 95/96 and 98. Etc etc etc

Only team I think it has failed a biteen as a model is Galway. 02/05/11/13 champions and not done bugger all at senior level since 01 to present day.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

giveballaghback

Blanketattack  you cannot compare Kerry football or what they do to any other county, they are a law unto themselves, they always have a team capable of winning al ire senior, every year without fail, they have never missed an all ire quarter final since the back door started, you cannot use them as a template for any other county because they are just the nuts and no county can or will ever replicate that, we can all aspire to it but no one will ever achieve it, so saying look at Kerry this or Kerry that is a load of bull, the rest of us have to try and build as best we can, Tyrone 3 all ire senior out of a good under structure, Dubs 2, Donegal got most of their current team from 2 good u21 teams even though they did not win an all ire and look at tipps success from a county that has rarely been competitive in football and I could list many more follow on success from good under age teams.

manfromdelmonte

Tyrone are the best example

two U21 winning teams, 2000 and 2001 were the launchpad for their success at senior in the mid 2000s

seafoid

Big win for the Rossies
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/roscommon-quick-to-dismiss-sligo-and-claim-final-spot-1.2144627
Roscommon quick to dismiss Sligo and claim final spot

Roscommon 6-18 Sligo 0-12

Enda Smith bagged a first-half hat-trick as Roscommon went on a scoring rampage in Kiltoom. The reigning Connacht champions led by 5-9 to 0-4 at the break as Diarmuid Murtagh and Paul Kenny (from a penalty) also raised green flags for an impressive home side.

Sligo never gained any traction in the contest and all they had to show for their efforts were a brace of frees from Cathal Henry, a free from Michael Casey and a point from play in the 21st minute by Kevin Henry.

Things didn't improve for the Yeats County in the second half as Diarmuid Murtagh cracked home Roscommon's sixth goal six minutes into the new half. That score signalled a raft of changes as Roscommon minds started drifting towards a Connacht final against Mayo or Galway on April 4th.

There was still time for wing back Ronan Daly to kick his third point of the afternoon. Centre back Cathal Kenny also got in on the action with a score as Roscommon qualified for their sixth provincial under-21 final in succession.

ROSCOMMON: S Mannion; N McInerney, S Mullooly, D Barron; C Hussey, C Kenny (0-1), R Daly (0-3); C Compton, T O'Rourke; S Killoran (0-2), U Harney (0-2, one free), J Earley (0-1); D Murtagh (2-5, 0-3 frees), E Smith (3-1), P Kenny (1-2, 0-2 frees).

Subs: N Gately for Smith (37 mins), K Kilcline for Killoran (42 mins), M Murtagh for Earley (44 mins), D McGann (0-1) for Murtagh (44 mins), E McGrath for Daly (54 mins), P Neilan for Barron (58 mins).

seafoid

Quote from: larryin89 on March 19, 2015, 07:25:15 PM

In fairness though an excellent under 21 team does a lot of the time bring you success at senior level.
Going back to even 83 with Mayo brought a lot lads to where we got to in 89, we had a couple of good under 21 sides in the early nineties too , which in turn gave us good senior period 96-99 and this present team have a fair few from 2006 under 21 team .

Only team I think it has failed a biteen as a model is Galway. 02/05/11/13 champions and not done bugger all at senior level since 01 to present day.
Sometimes young fellas learn more losing an underage all Ireland. Eg Galway 94 minors who turned into great seniors in 98.
I think Galway really struggled to cope with puke football post say 2005.
And a lot of good players lost interest/didn't make the cut.

Eg 2009 league vs Donegal D1

GALWAY : P Doherty; N Coyne, F Hanley, D Burke; G Bradshaw (0-2) , D Blake, D Mullahy; J Bergin, B Cullinane; S Armstrong (0-1), P Joyce (0-1) , M Lydon; D Dunleavy (0-2), M Meehan (1-9, three frees), N Joyce (0-1).

Meehan had dreadful injuries but only Hanley and Bradshaw are still around AFAIK.

Canalman

Think that team might have been managed also by Jack O'Connor. Might be wrong about that but remember some grumbling at the time he got the senior gig.

nrico2006

Quote from: Canalman on March 20, 2015, 09:56:00 AM

Think that team might have been managed also by Jack O'Connor. Might be wrong about that but remember some grumbling at the time he got the senior gig.

Donaghy was only a sub that day and Sheehan was in nets.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

larryin89

Quote from: seafoid on March 20, 2015, 09:19:45 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 19, 2015, 07:25:15 PM

Sometimes young fellas learn more losing an underage all Ireland. Eg Galway 94 minors who turned into great seniors in 98.
I think Galway really struggled to cope with puke football post say 2005.
And a lot of good players lost interest/didn't make the cut.

Eg 2009 league vs Donegal D1

GALWAY : P Doherty; N Coyne, F Hanley, D Burke; G Bradshaw (0-2) , D Blake, D Mullahy; J Bergin, B Cullinane; S Armstrong (0-1), P Joyce (0-1) , M Lydon; D Dunleavy (0-2), M Meehan (1-9, three frees), N Joyce (0-1).

Meehan had dreadful injuries but only Hanley and Bradshaw are still around AFAIK.

I totally agree with you on the context of Galway not being able to cope with the modern game, the fancy Dan type culture in Galway has seen them left behind in recent times , maybe Walsh will toughen things up defensively and tactically but there hasn't been any indicator as of yet that it will be the case. On their day the forwards available to Galway at the moment are as good as you get , you only have to look at Corofin this year . Against kerry last year I really thought there were times they looked like they were capable of winning that game but kerry simply got there scores too handy in the end but if I my memory serves me right when Galway ran at them they had kerry in trouble .

Captain Obvious

Galway in their championship games last year against Mayo,Tipperary,Kerry were wide open in defence. Corofin have shown the Galway county team how its done. A well organised defence brings success.

larryin89

Mayo were at evens at the beginning of the week to beat Galway ,then the odds disappeared from PP all week and now they're back in there at 8/15. I just can't fathom some of the betting patterns GAA takes.

Chimley

Quote from: larryin89 on March 20, 2015, 11:46:02 AM
Mayo were at evens at the beginning of the week to beat Galway ,then the odds disappeared from PP all week and now they're back in there at 8/15. I just can't fathom some of the betting patterns GAA takes.

Given our recent record at U21 level, Evens wasn't over-generous. Anyone backing us at 8/15 must be demented.

seafoid

Quote from: larryin89 on March 20, 2015, 11:46:02 AM
Ros and Kildare money distorts markets, as far as I can see

giveballaghback

quote seafoid " Ros and Kildare money distorts markets"
Sometimes I just sit and wonder. Cues outside Ros and Kildare bookies betting on a Mayo v Galway u21 game??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????