Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on June 17, 2021, 11:41:57 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 17, 2021, 11:38:02 AM
Quote from: trailer on June 17, 2021, 11:05:20 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 17, 2021, 11:02:09 AM
Quote from: trailer on June 17, 2021, 10:49:29 AM
Quote from: Kidder81 on June 17, 2021, 10:44:34 AM
This is a good outcome for the DUP, they haven't "given in". Westminster will take it out of their hands and they can complain now and again about it

I'd disagree. I think this is a disaster for the DUP and Poots leadership. He looks weak. He has started a chain of events and no one knows where it'll end.

It was the least worst option for them. If Stormont had collapsed and they had been facing an election, they could have been left staring into the abyss. They will have to face that music at some stage in the future but for a new leadership it was the only practical decision they could make.

Yeah they are totally painted into a corner and it wouldn't be so bad if they were a united party but they are so fractious that every option now is a disaster.

I am worried that collapsing Stormont is a legitimate negotiating tactic. What if the DUP want to collapse Stormont over the Protocol? Or some other issue?
Then we're looking at an election where they'll get their arses handed to them and inevitably a border poll.

Listen, Stormont needs to work. Even in a New Ireland Stormont isn't going anywhere. Don't be so naive.
Of course it needs to work. But it is clearly dysfunctional and there is one party and one party alone at fault.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 17, 2021, 10:12:47 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 17, 2021, 09:53:12 AM
Yet again it takes the British Government, a useless, hateful Tory government at that, to deliver for those who identify as Irish in NI - because SF are even more useless

Abortion, same sex marriage and now an Irish language act

Seems to me NI would be better off just going back to direct rule from Westminster, because the British Government stepping in is the only way NI is getting any positive change as it is
Yes because SF famously opposed all 3 of those things.... the obsession is unbelievable.

No but a lot of nationalists certainly opposed the changes to abortion laws

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: sid waddell on June 17, 2021, 10:17:48 AM
Yet again it takes the British Government, a useless, hateful Tory government at that, to deliver for those who identify as Irish in NI - because SF are even more useless

Seems to me NI would be better off just going back to direct rule from Westminster, because the British Government stepping in is the only way NI is getting any positive change as it is
Yes because SF famously opposed all 3 of those things.... the obsession is unbelievable.
They chickened out on the abortion issue

And they got none of the three implemented, it took the Brits to do that

Surely indicates British rule would be better because it can actually, you know, do stuff

Also if the Sinn Fein supporters on this forum are anything to go by, a lot of them are conservative and anti-same sex marriage and abortion, so I doubt they're very happy with these things

I never like the way these 2 things are suggested as mutually exclusive

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: general_lee on June 17, 2021, 10:46:15 AM
Don't see the big deal with the Brits stepping in. It highlights further proof if needed how unworkable Stormont is. Ghandi could be in government with the DUP and it would be no different. The reality is, a party of reactionary fanatics are incapable of governing this dysfunctional little entity. Who'd have thunk it. Hilarious the obsessed stoops on here are raging. ILA is and always was an afterthought for your party - something you were more than willing to compromise on.

Im no stoop anyhow but I can tell you this as someone who has immersed himself in the language that SF have no interest in the language except as a means to whip others politically, and for your knowledge SDLP have always been broadly on the same line as SF on te language-they have better speakers of it anyhow lol

Armagh18

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 17, 2021, 12:01:18 PM

No but a lot of nationalists certainly opposed the changes to abortion laws
Yes and? Perfectly entitled to.

Armagh18

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 17, 2021, 12:03:20 PM

Surely indicates British rule would be better because it can actually, you know, do stuff

Also if the Sinn Fein supporters on this forum are anything to go by, a lot of them are conservative and anti-same sex marriage and abortion, so I doubt they're very happy with these things

Agreed. You'll the vast vast majority of people are ok with gay marriage barring the hardliners, but abortion is definitely a lot stickier.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 17, 2021, 12:18:00 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 17, 2021, 12:03:20 PM

Agreed. You'll the vast vast majority of people are ok with gay marriage barring the hardliners, but abortion is definitely a lot stickier.

Yep

Snapchap

Quote from: trailer on June 17, 2021, 08:34:34 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on June 17, 2021, 08:22:01 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 17, 2021, 07:42:56 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on June 17, 2021, 06:33:22 AM
Sinn Fein will get shafted by the Tories on this ...can't believe they are going to trust them on it and nominate a DFM
Will they? I'd say it'll be similar to the abortion and gay marriage issue in that the Brits stepping in allows both sides to save face.

Do you trust the Tories to keep their word?

SF looking to the UK parliament, a parliament that they don't take their seats in and that they don't recognise its authority to pass Irish Language act is next level hypocrisy.

Anyway I am glad that Stormont hasn't fallen and everyone can get on with the important work of governing this place.

Or another way of looking at it is that SF got the British government to do what the stoops, who don't abstain, could not.

Has to be said, the SDLP really did make an utter mess of it the past few weeks. Out-maneuvered by SF and shown up to have attempted to facilitate then exploit the DUP's bad faith in order to attack the shinners. They deserve the heavy criticism they are now getting. Even this morning on GMU, when most people can see this has been a SF success, Nicola Mallon could barely bring herself to attacking the DUP position through it all. It was just a litany of anti-SF verbals. Do the SDLP stand for anything at all beyond attacking SF?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Snapchap on June 17, 2021, 12:29:26 PM
Sinn Fein will get shafted by the Tories on this ...can't believe they are going to trust them on it and nominate a DFM
Will they? I'd say it'll be similar to the abortion and gay marriage issue in that the Brits stepping in allows both sides to save face.

SF looking to the UK parliament, a parliament that they don't take their seats in and that they don't recognise its authority to pass Irish Language act is next level hypocrisy.

Anyway I am glad that Stormont hasn't fallen and everyone can get on with the important work of governing this place.

Or another way of looking at it is that SF got the British government to do what the stoops, who don't abstain, could not.

Has to be said, the SDLP really did make an utter mess of it the past few weeks. Out-maneuvered by SF and shown up to have attempted to facilitate then exploit the DUP's bad faith in order to attack the shinners. They deserve the heavy criticism they are now getting. Even this morning on GMU, when most people can see this has been a SF success, Nicola Mallon could barely bring herself to attacking the DUP position through it all. It was just a litany of anti-SF verbals. Do the SDLP stand for anything at all beyond attacking SF?

This makes no sense at all. Surely every party pressurised the Tories on it bar the DUP? Thats my reading of it

Snapchap

Quote from: trailer on June 17, 2021, 10:52:50 AM
Quote from: Itchy on June 17, 2021, 09:27:10 AM

It might be Ironic but I dont see how it is hypocrisy unless you think the idea of them even being in stormont is hypocrisy.

SF constantly tell us that WM doesn't matter. It's irrelevant. That other Nationalists are seeming less Irish for taking their seats. And now all of a sudden they are happy for a Parliament that they don't recognise or take their seats in to make laws for the North. That is pure hypocrisy.

The SDLP are constantly telling us that you need to take your seats in Westminster to have any influence. Yet SF have done "from the sidelines" what the SDLP have not been able to do form the green benches.

So:
Language Act deal achieved
DUP weakened
Abstentionist policy vindicated (again)
SDLP widely exposed as cynical opportunists

Not a bad few days work from those big bad shinners.

Apart from attempting to facilitate DUP intransigence on the Irish language, what else have the SDLP been doing these last few days?

trailer

Cool story bro.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Snapchap on June 17, 2021, 12:35:30 PM

It might be Ironic but I dont see how it is hypocrisy unless you think the idea of them even being in stormont is hypocrisy.

SF constantly tell us that WM doesn't matter. It's irrelevant. That other Nationalists are seeming less Irish for taking their seats. And now all of a sudden they are happy for a Parliament that they don't recognise or take their seats in to make laws for the North. That is pure hypocrisy.

The SDLP are constantly telling us that you need to take your seats in Westminster to have any influence. Yet SF have done "from the sidelines" what the SDLP have not been able to do form the green benches.

So:
DUP weakened

Apart from attempting to facilitate DUP intransigence on the Irish language, what else have the SDLP been doing these last few days?

Remind me why we are talking about SF v SDLP again?

sid waddell

So:
DUP weakened

OK Tory Boy

Snapchap

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 17, 2021, 12:34:23 PM

This makes no sense at all. Surely every party pressurised the Tories on it bar the DUP? Thats my reading of it

lol What? Nothing to do with SF threatening to not nominate a Deputy First Minister? Nothing to do with SF's approach to the British Government? Are you anywhere even close to wise?

Pub Bore

So:
DUP weakened

Colm's still working on stopping Brexit, I think.