Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: sid waddell on June 17, 2021, 09:53:12 AM
Yet again it takes the British Government, a useless, hateful Tory government at that, to deliver for those who identify as Irish in NI - because SF are even more useless

Abortion, same sex marriage and now an Irish language act

Seems to me NI would be better off just going back to direct rule from Westminster, because the British Government stepping in is the only way NI is getting any positive change as it is

Struggling how you make all those a SF issue. Please expand

Armagh18

Yet again it takes the British Government, a useless, hateful Tory government at that, to deliver for those who identify as Irish in NI - because SF are even more useless

Seems to me NI would be better off just going back to direct rule from Westminster, because the British Government stepping in is the only way NI is getting any positive change as it is
Yes because SF famously opposed all 3 of those things.... the obsession is unbelievable. 

NAG1

I think someone has missed the point in a power sharing executive  ::)

I suppose it doesn't fit the agenda.

yellowcard

Pragmatism had to take effect here and the alternative was a Stormont collapse and more chaos and upheavel so I am glad that it has been resolved even though the British government had to step in. Of course anti SF posters are so entrenched in their own views that they are already claiming that it was a disgrace that they leaned on the British government but those same posters would have also criticised them if they had taken the alternative option and collapased the assembly.

On this occasion the British government taking the decision suits both SF and the DUP for differing reasons. It again just proves how dysfunctional this place actually is.

sid waddell

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 17, 2021, 10:12:47 AM

Yes because SF famously opposed all 3 of those things.... the obsession is unbelievable.
They chickened out on the abortion issue

And they got none of the three implemented, it took the Brits to do that

Surely indicates British rule would be better because it can actually, you know, do stuff

Also if the Sinn Fein supporters on this forum are anything to go by, a lot of them are conservative and anti-same sex marriage and abortion, so I doubt they're very happy with these things

NAG1

Quote from: yellowcard on June 17, 2021, 10:15:12 AM
Pragmatism had to take effect here and the alternative was a Stormont collapse and more chaos and upheavel so I am glad that it has been resolved even though the British government had to step in. Of course anti SF posters are so entrenched in their own views that they are already claiming that it was a disgrace that they leaned on the British government but those same posters would have also criticised them if they had taken the alternative option and collapased the assembly.

On this occasion the British government taking the decision suits both SF and the DUP for differing reasons. It again just proves how dysfunctional this place actually is.

I will shocked and stunned if this hasnt been a pre-arranged deal between the DUP/SF and both governments, everyone gets to keep face the Assembly stays in place and the legislation gets moved forward.

Until the next crisis that the DUP drag this place into.

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on June 17, 2021, 10:15:12 AM

Absolutely. SF get the ILA, the DUP get to blame the bogeyman again and Stormont doesn't collapse. Everyone is a winner.

Armagh18

Quote from: sid waddell on June 17, 2021, 10:17:48 AM

Surely indicates British rule would be better because it can actually, you know, do stuff

Also if the Sinn Fein supporters on this forum are anything to go by, a lot of them are conservative and anti-same sex marriage and abortion, so I doubt they're very happy with these things
Was the DUP'ers blocking all 3, not SF. Or are you too blinded by your anti-SF obsession to acknowledge that?

johnnycool

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 17, 2021, 10:19:46 AM

Was the DUP'ers blocking all 3, not SF. Or are you too blinded by your anti-SF obsession to acknowledge that?

He willfully chooses to misunderstand how power sharing in Stormont works (or not in most cases) and it is the DUP who are either intransigent or break their promises.

sid waddell

Quote from: johnnycool on June 17, 2021, 10:25:02 AM

He willfully chooses to misunderstand how power sharing in Stormont works (or not in most cases) and it is the DUP who are either intransigent or break their promises.
I understand full well how it works

It doesn't work

And it certainly doesn't work with the parties involved

It is quite the irony to see the Brits come to the rescue, I thought SF supporters were very much against that kind of thing!

Armagh18

Quote from: sid waddell on June 17, 2021, 10:28:49 AM

It doesn't work

It is quite the irony to see the Brits come to the rescue, I thought SF supporters were very much against that kind of thing!
On this we can agree.

trailer

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 17, 2021, 10:38:28 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 17, 2021, 10:28:49 AM

It doesn't work

On this we can agree.

Would you say Westminster is relevant now?

Kidder81

This is a good outcome for the DUP, they haven't "given in". Westminster will take it out of their hands and they can complain now and again about it 

general_lee

Don't see the big deal with the Brits stepping in. It highlights further proof if needed how unworkable Stormont is. Ghandi could be in government with the DUP and it would be no different. The reality is, a party of reactionary fanatics are incapable of governing this dysfunctional little entity. Who'd have thunk it. Hilarious the obsessed stoops on here are raging. ILA is and always was an afterthought for your party - something you were more than willing to compromise on.

trailer

Quote from: Kidder81 on June 17, 2021, 10:44:34 AM
This is a good outcome for the DUP, they haven't "given in". Westminster will take it out of their hands and they can complain now and again about it

I'd disagree. I think this is a disaster for the DUP and Poots leadership. He looks weak. He has started a chain of events and no one knows where it'll end.