Colm "Woolly" Parkinson

Started by IolarCoisCuain, July 07, 2017, 09:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of Colm "Woolly" Parkinson?

Flute
15 (34.1%)
Breath of fresh air
20 (45.5%)
Who's Colm Parkinson?
9 (20.5%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: July 09, 2017, 09:01:42 PM

IolarCoisCuain

Syferus

Laois people don't care about football and the rest of us don't care to listen to Laois people talk about football.

magpie seanie

He sometimes comes across as a bit of a dick but I know from lads he played with at club level that he really gave football everything when he was at it. One mate of mine who's even more old school than myself is fulsome in his praise for him and that's enough for me.

Itchy

Not a fan. Full of auld shite

omagh_gael

I think he's good at what he does, his Monday podcast with Cian Ward is the best football one out there at the minute, IMO.

IolarCoisCuain

Years ago, some young lad had a Twitter account called @banterpanther which he used to take the piss out of the great and the good. Fair enough. He had a pop at Parkinson though, and Parkinson didn't care for it. So Parkinson doxed him – that is to say, he found out who the young lad was and tweeted his name and details.

Now, as it turns out, I believe the young lad did ok out of all of this. Twitter was (relatively) new at the time, and he was able to "sell" his account to some entrepreneur who thought a ready-built list of followers was worth whatever he paid for it.

But the thing is, it mightn't have worked out well for the young lad. It might have worked out badly, and I don't know how much that was taken into consideration. It was relatively easy for Parkinson to find out who he was because this a small country, the GAA runs through it and Parkinson's GAA network is huge. But, for a guy trying to make his way in media I thought he was being very precious about being criticised. I don't think he's any too shy about dishing out criticism himself; I don't know. Maybe he's toughened up. But at the time I thought it was a really shitty thing to do.

randomusername

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 07, 2017, 09:52:06 PM
Years ago, some young lad had a Twitter account called @banterpanther which he used to take the piss out of the great and the good. Fair enough. He had a pop at Parkinson though, and Parkinson didn't care for it. So Parkinson doxed him – that is to say, he found out who the young lad was and tweeted his name and details.

Now, as it turns out, I believe the young lad did ok out of all of this. Twitter was (relatively) new at the time, and he was able to "sell" his account to some entrepreneur who thought a ready-built list of followers was worth whatever he paid for it.

But the thing is, it mightn't have worked out well for the young lad. It might have worked out badly, and I don't know how much that was taken into consideration. It was relatively easy for Parkinson to find out who he was because this a small country, the GAA runs through it and Parkinson's GAA network is huge. But, for a guy trying to make his way in media I thought he was being very precious about being criticised. I don't think he's any too shy about dishing out criticism himself; I don't know. Maybe he's toughened up. But at the time I thought it was a really shitty thing to do.

He named some anonymous Irish lad behind an anti-doping account on twitter a few weeks back as well.

Dinny Breen

none of the above, his podcast is good and he called out Brolly on his webcast and Brolly admitted to being on the wind up. He's different.
#newbridgeornowhere

laoislad

Quote from: Syferus on July 07, 2017, 09:07:54 PM
Laois people don't care about football and the rest of us don't care to listen to Laois people talk about football.
I'm sure he knows more than a sheep shagger from some shitehole of a town in Roscommon all the same.

For the record I wouldn't be that keen on Parkinson myself. He was a pretty good footballer though.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

galwayman

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 07, 2017, 09:46:50 PM
I think he's good at what he does, his Monday podcast with Cian Ward is the best football one out there at the minute, IMO.
Yeah I like the Monday podcast.
Cian Ward is actually really good on that.

Seany

His podcast is excellent. He is a brilliant interviewer who knows how to get information from players beyond the usual sound bite nonsense. He knows his stuff. Really has a proper in depth knowledge of both hurling and football. The podcast makes up its own mind about issues, is not agenda driven and is peopled by lads who know about the game and care about the GAA. They are enthusiastic. Boyish enthusiasm. No Sunday Game cynicism or lads looking attention. Willy has grown up. He shouldn't be judged on his previous younger days. He's now an outstanding broadcaster and his podcast is the future of GAA journalism.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Seany on July 07, 2017, 11:25:31 PM
His podcast is excellent. He is a brilliant interviewer who knows how to get information from players beyond the usual sound bite nonsense. He knows his stuff. Really has a proper in depth knowledge of both hurling and football. The podcast makes up its own mind about issues, is not agenda driven and is peopled by lads who know about the game and care about the GAA. They are enthusiastic. Boyish enthusiasm. No Sunday Game cynicism or lads looking attention. Willy has grown up. He shouldn't be judged on his previous younger days. He's now an outstanding broadcaster and his podcast is the future of GAA journalism.

Bit of a Freudian slip there!

macdanger2

I think he's good enough, doesn't take himself too seriously and isn't a cliché merchant like most of the RTÉ pundits/presenters

tonto1888

I enjoy his podcasts. Keeps ignoring me on twitter though

INDIANA

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 07, 2017, 09:52:06 PM

His podcasts are banal , un-interesting, Un-informed and full of cliches.

He'll be due a stint on the Sunday Game soon.

There is more respect for pondweed in Dublin then Parkinson.