Mods - Can We Change the Rules About GAA Board Names?

Started by IolarCoisCuain, April 15, 2011, 04:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Mods.

Do you think you could change the rules so that people can't use the names of real people, living or dead, as names on the board?

Two trolls are currently using the names of famous footballers. One has picked a man from an opposing county to add to the aggro, but the man who's chosen a name of one his own county's great players is perhaps doing that man a greater disservice. The original player is a gentleman, and the troll is a troll. It seems worse, somehow – a greater disservice to the man impersonated, because his loyalty should be greater. A double insult.

There'll always be banter on boards, and one man's troll is another man's hero. Not much you can do about that. But men have a right to their own names and reputations, and for their own names not to be taken in vain. John Proctor says from the gallows in The Crucible that he cannot give the puritans his name, as his name is all he has. We shouldn't let heroes' names be traduced by trolls and scallywags. And because who's a troll and who's a gas man is a matter of judgement, the fairest thing is to just ban all names of actual people, other than a poster's own if he or she feels so inclined. That's then fair to everybody.

I hope you can change the rules and restore men's reputations. And I doubt I'm alone.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on April 15, 2011, 04:38:18 PM
Mods.

Do you think you could change the rules so that people can't use the names of real people, living or dead, as names on the board?

Two trolls are currently using the names of famous footballers. One has picked a man from an opposing county to add to the aggro, but the man who's chosen a name of one his own county's great players is perhaps doing that man a greater disservice. The original player is a gentleman, and the troll is a troll. It seems worse, somehow – a greater disservice to the man impersonated, because his loyalty should be greater. A double insult.

There'll always be banter on boards, and one man's troll is another man's hero. Not much you can do about that. But men have a right to their own names and reputations, and for their own names not to be taken in vain. John Proctor says from the gallows in The Crucible that he cannot give the puritans his name, as his name is all he has. We shouldn't let heroes' names be traduced by trolls and scallywags. And because who's a troll and who's a gas man is a matter of judgement, the fairest thing is to just ban all names of actual people, other than a poster's own if he or she feels so inclined. That's then fair to everybody.

I hope you can change the rules and restore men's reputations. And I doubt I'm alone.

Agreed. And especially with the example you cite there. Although I'm not sure he's from another county.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

orchard 8195

Mods.

+1, i dont understand why the person that u refer too that uses the name of 1 of his own countys legends even writes on this board. Fair enough he enjoys to wind up us "Nordies" or "Britboys" but i have yet to read a constructive or positive post from him yet on GAA matters. This person strikes me as someone who is just full of negativity and would start a row in an empty room. It is doing a great disservice to the former great player to have his name associated with some of the tripe this poster writes.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 15, 2011, 04:42:23 PM
Mods.

Agreed. And especially with the example you cite there. Although I'm not sure he's from another county.
Maybe  so but sure he's a Covie and they should have a county of their own.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Mike Sheehy

+1  I fully agree. Mods we have to do something about this kind of carry on. Whoever this fella is (and for some reason the lads above are too scared to mention his name) he should be BANNED. Its a thundering disgrace that he should be impersonating a real person. We all know there are some very gullible people that cant distinguish between discussion board names and real people so down with this sort of stuff is what I say.

How can we combat this threat to the integrity of real people ? Maybe everybody should post a picture of themselves. For example , I would never have know about Shane McGowan's deep commitment to Antrim GAA if he didnt post a picture of himself. Maybe thats the way to go ?

I eagerly await your response.

yours sincerely
             Mikey (Not really) Sheehy

Fear ón Srath Bán

Ah jeez lads,  I think I'd miss the ritual and atavistic abuse from yours truly (above).

After all, he's a direct descendant of one Annascaul man Tom Crean, who bore aloft the Union Jack with such pride on his Terra Nova expedition to the Antarctica with Scott in 1910; thus the self-loathing that leads him to abuse us nordies to such a depraved degree!  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

mylestheslasher

Do I need to change my name? I've been dead since 1670 or so but I wouldn't like to offend any surviving family members.

RadioGAAGAA

Mods.

Its a pity that people couldn't be forced to use their real names.

It would cut down alot of the hyperbolic shite posted on here as everyone would know exactly who is posting it... and the poster would know everyone would know.
i usse an speelchekor

Santino

AZOffaly

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 15, 2011, 09:30:31 PM
Mods.

Its a pity that people couldn't be forced to use their real names.

It would cut down alot of the hyperbolic shite posted on here as everyone would know exactly who is posting it... and the poster would know everyone would know.

Posted by a user called RadioGaaGaa :)

In fairness, a lot of the established users on here are known to each other at this stage, namewise at least. Fair play to the likes of Tony Fearon for registering under ther own name, but I don't think you could or should try and force people to do that.

brokencrossbar1

Do ye know what you're all f**king easily annoyed.  Grow some bloody cahones.  Far too many people are too soft. If the likes of Mike Sheehy are having a cut off you have some balls and fight back instead of telling tales to teacher. 

armaghniac

Yes. Mike Sheehy does yank one's chain from time to time.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 15, 2011, 10:47:35 PM
Do ye know what you're all f**king easily annoyed.  Grow some bloody cahones.  Far too many people are too soft. If the likes of Mike Sheehy are having a cut off you have some balls and fight back instead of telling tales to teacher.

The original poster is from Mayo...they are very delicate flowers from that part of the country I am afraid.

passedit

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 15, 2011, 10:47:35 PM
couldnt find tHe plus button on the mrs ipad.

Orange cnut.

Bc not the mrs
Don't Panic

brokencrossbar1

Mike a good gust blows petals hither and thither!