Match Tracking Software

Started by IolarCoisCuain, March 28, 2011, 08:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Does anybody know what the standard match tracking software that most GAA teams would use is? Are there a few packages out there, or is there one that's pretty much standard?

What sort of stats do they track anyway? Are they any good? I know there was one for tracking player movements in soccer but I'm damned if I can remember it. Our games would be a biteen more complex of course.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on March 28, 2011, 08:40:52 PM
Does anybody know what the standard match tracking software that most GAA teams would use is? Are there a few packages out there, or is there one that's pretty much standard?

What sort of stats do they track anyway? Are they any good? I know there was one for tracking player movements in soccer but I'm damned if I can remember it. Our games would be a biteen more complex of course.

Is Prozone the soccer one?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

REDCOL

TagIt Gaelic is a good App available for download on Itunes, Tom Brewster developed it.

Lone Shark

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on March 28, 2011, 08:40:52 PM

Depends on the level that you're talking about. AvenirSports and Dartfish would be the two most commonly used ones for video analysis in GAA, but neither of those would come cheap. Having used one, I'd say that they're handy, but unless you'd have either an individual with a dozen hours to spare for every game or else a team of people, it would be hard to get full value. I used one and found that the advantages over and above a basic analysis of the DVD and isolating the sections you want would be noticeable but not that substantial.

You know where to find me if you have more specific questions....

AbbeySider

Statzgaelic is an iPhone app that lets you take basic stats and you can customise the type of stats you are taking. AvenirSports and Dartfish are used more for doing stats during video analysis but as Lone Shark said, they are expensive.

Regarding tracking players movements, I know that statsports.ie offer those services but its very expensive.

the colonel

I used Focus x2 at uni and looked at this again recently, It costs about £550 and Dartfish was quoted to me at about £2500. Dartfish also has an iphone app which looks really good. It really depends what your looking for.

Stats usually looked at are wides, scores, poc outs/ kick outs won, catches, turnovers and breaking ball. Basically you can decide what to look at yourself
the difference between success and failure is energy

IolarCoisCuain

Fair play to you all lads. I'm a lot wiser now than I was forty-eight hours ago.

The reason the stats are on my mind is because I'm trying to get a bit smarter as regards the old technology and what have you. GAA stat tracking seems a good jumping off point, as it's best to work on something that you're interested in. In one of my many previous lives, I did a SQL exam, writing queries to make sure that there were four red Cortinas, one with an automatic gearbox and three with child seats, available on Tuesday. I got 40% out of sheer pity on the lecturer's part.

So I think I might look ahead a bit so, and see how I get on. What stats to track are interesting. I notice that rugby journalism has certainly fallen behind the game, where players and coaches are all looking at stats that the wider public isn't exposed to. I'm not sure if that's because the journos are lazy or if it's because the papers think the readers would be turned off by US style box scores. Personally, I like stats. I'd like to see a full box score if they're available.

Football doesn't break down as handily for stats as the US sports, but those stats can let you down too. If anyone follows baseball, there's a debate in the states at the moment about how those stats are calculated, one of the results of which is that the most sacrosanct baseball stat of all, batting average, may not be as important in assessing a player's worth as has been thought for over a hundred years. Mad.

Anyway, I'll plough on. Thanks all for the advice and tips. I appreciate it all.

robertemmet

http://mal-sport.blogspot.com/2011/11/where-is-it-all-going-wrong.html

Any of you use Dartfish Easy Tag app on iphone/ipad/ipod

Wondering what categories you use?

JHume

RobertEmmet, if that screenshot is from an iPhone you must have very wee fingers :P

I use the Dartfish app too, but with a maximum of 16 categories as I've got big awkward fingers and thumbs.

you have them all covered in the 30 categories you use.

robertemmet

http://mal-sport.blogspot.com/2011/11/where-is-it-all-going-wrong.html

The screenshot on this blog is from an ipad, but I have been using it on HTC phone mainly, means you have to have abbreviations for the categories.

What sort of categories do other people use?

Lone Shark

I usually bring the laptop and use a simple excel spreadsheet. The categories I look at are:

Scores for - scorer and assist
Wides and dropped short - shooter and assist, if applicable.
Scores Against - By marker of the scorer, and "other fault" if any other player caused the problem.
Wides/dropped short against - as above

Kickouts won/lost - broken down by number and type - e.g. 8c denotes a catch by number eight, and 6b on the other side denotes a breaking ball won against our number six or by the man number six should be covering. The other categories are short and free awarded/conceded.

Turnovers won - split into 50/50, where a guy wins a loose ball or a long delivery from the other team, and "tackle" where our guy dispossesses the other team or causes them to foul the ball. Much like sacks in NFL, it can be split between players.

Turnovers lost - split into "in possession", "passing - passer at fault" and "passing - receiver at fault".

All of the above is done by player number, and then I have targets for each position on the field in each category.

It's a little bit unwieldy because I'm using the full laptop, but it's handy to be able to look down and identify what's going on during the course of the game. It took a while to get used to but I'm not bad at it now. Obviously any suggested modifications are welcome and would be appreciated!

AZOffaly

How about a stat for Shite\Good\Great?

Bingo

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 16, 2011, 11:31:05 AM
How about a stat for Shite\Good\Great?

Plus "His father/grandfather was yellow, how would he be any different"

Lone Shark

I'm not a manager. Only people at a higher level than me can make such assertions.  :P

laceer

Looking into investing in one of these for our club. Has anyone any recent experience with match tracking software?

We've been leaning towards performa. Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

TIA