Pat Spillane

Started by 20leg-end08, August 03, 2008, 10:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam14

He's some man in fairness
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

seafoid

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 26, 2015, 01:59:26 AM
Say what you will about Joe Brolly but let nobody question his character
and he has the smarts whereas Spillane doesn't
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rosnarun

Quote from: seafoid on August 26, 2015, 10:10:36 AM
Pretty Brolly know feck all about football.
hes paid to be the class clown ala dunphy and hook and ability to annoy people,
in short to be a bollix
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

deiseach

In fairness to Spillane and Brolly, they're just doing what they are being asked to do. Remember SBB and his pyrotechnics on all manner of shows in the 80's and 90's? You'd think it was impossible for him to be anything other than a maggot. Yet stick on Seó Spóirt and there is the same man with a very cool and insightful take on the hurling issues of the day. Maybe the time has come for the GAA to give all coverage to TG4, where people seem to be encouraged to actually express a love for the game(s).

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: rosnarun on August 26, 2015, 11:19:44 AM
Quote from: seafoid on August 26, 2015, 10:10:36 AM
Pretty Brolly know feck all about football.
hes paid to be the class clown ala dunphy and hook and ability to annoy people,
in short to be a bollix

Brolly knows what he is at
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

regal

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: regal on August 26, 2015, 07:34:08 PM
Another asshole

He seems like a decent bloke, I think he's now a rubbish pundit but that doesn't make him an asshole.

Red eye

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 04, 2008, 11:06:15 AM
QuoteWell you start a thread on Joe Brolly if you want MS, istead of moaning about this one.

To be honest, it doesn't really bother me that much what Brolly says. He is a one-time-lucky-AI-winner-when-Kerry-were-shite type bozo who dines out on his one-hit wonder status. Not fit to lick the boots of any Kerry player or, for that matter,  any other players he criticizes. What bothers me is the way you bies whinge about something that ye constantly indulge in i.e one eyed Ulster parochialism disguised as "criticism" . Ye're all as bad as brolly, the wee shite.

Just seen this - brilliant :)

From the Bunker

Spillane is on RTE for the passive GAA supporter. He's there to tell you if a game is good or bad, no more really. He's there for the people who don't think about football (in an analytical sense) and just watch it. Being a Journalist (funny i know) for the Sunday World covers that demographic as well. Pre-rehearsed metaphors and similes are dished out. Quips and puns cover his lack of thought or analysis on the game. To be fair for most of the given audience don't care about sweepers, blanket defences, marquee forwards, kick passing etc. They just want approval of how good their county has played.

Jinxy

Spillane's role is redundant now.
Brolly generates all the sound bites and headlines so Pat is neither controversial enough to be the guy who 'Tells it like it is', nor is he knowledgeable enough to be the straight man, a la the senior analyst, Colm O'Rourke.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

deiseach

I wonder how many All-Ireland medals 'Mike Sheehy' has.

AZOffaly

In fairness, in Kerry when you are born they give you one just to save time later.

From the Bunker

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 27, 2015, 02:53:11 PM
In fairness, in Kerry when you are born they give you one just to save time later.

Connie Murphy must have been cesarean section! :P

AZOffaly

Gave him an Allstar instead :)