Is it an huge advantage to be born in January for Sport?

Started by From the Bunker, June 07, 2021, 10:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 07, 2021, 02:58:37 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on June 07, 2021, 02:40:23 PM
If I recall correctly there's a chapter in Soccernomics on this issue, with the entry point being why so many top soccer players were born in the same month(s).  The authors' take was that being the older kid in your cohort meant you were (typically) bigger and stronger, which helped you stand out.  As the kids move up through the years, stand-out kids get better coaching, and even moved on to better teams.

The older lad gets more game time earlier. More game time earlier means getting familiar with match situations. Familiarity will bring on composure and confidence.

Yep, that too.

City Dweller

Quote from: Taylor on June 07, 2021, 02:58:05 PM
Quote from: City Dweller on June 07, 2021, 02:38:58 PM
The Book, Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell looks into this question based on a couple of underage teams in different sports.  Bottom line wherever you start your "year" the older children will get the most benefit, because law of averages suggest the will be bigger, faster, more powerful than peers 6-12 months younger than them.

On which is the best model... School year for primary kids is a no brainer, kids want to play with their friends...

It should also work better in essence for secondary school kids as well?

Yeap.. would dovetail into college sports well doing that...

imtommygunn

I found it was for me. I wasn't great but was big for my age so I always got game time in my last year because I was bigger than most lol.

I personally think it is a nonsense rule tbh. Should be school years but then I guess how do you align the south and the north may be an issue.

johnnycool

Quote from: Taylor on June 07, 2021, 10:50:02 AM
The underage groupings are a cluster f**k.

July 1st makes much more sense and for the majority it means playing against people in their own year group at school

This currently happens in Down. You go from P£, P5, P7 to U13 where the maturity levels are somewhat more evolved and the peer groups are broken up slightly by going to different secondary schools.

Up to each county to implement their own strategy.

Itchy

It's been statistically proven in soccer that being born in early months of the years gives a child a significant advantage. Appears to be stronger so gets more attention from coaches, easier to get on development squads etc. One of 1st things a coach should do is very aware of the dob of kids they train.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on June 07, 2021, 05:05:57 PM
It's been statistically proven in soccer that being born in early months of the years gives a child a significant advantage. Appears to be stronger so gets more attention from coaches, easier to get on development squads etc. One of 1st things a coach should do is very aware of the dob of kids they train.

I always look at DOB of my players. It's essential to know.

befair

Being born in Jan confers a significant advantage in any sport

The PRO

In soccer, I thought the advantage was a September birthday as the youth cut off is 1st September?

shark

Quote from: The PRO on June 07, 2021, 06:30:53 PM

In soccer, I thought the advantage was a September birthday as the youth cut off is 1st September?

In most countries that is the case, yes. In Outliers, Gladwell points out the skew of pro soccer players born in the last 4 months of the year, compared to the other 8.

Farrandeelin

I agree with thewobbler on this one. Natural athleticism and size are important, so too is the 'drive' to want to succeed. My cousin was born in December and managed to play hurling for Dublin due to all three of these - even though he wasn't the tallest either - he had that inner drive to succeed.

Anecdotal evidence I know, but that's what I tell those who have children who are born late in the year.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 07, 2021, 09:55:04 PM
I agree with thewobbler on this one. Natural athleticism and size are important, so too is the 'drive' to want to succeed. My cousin was born in December and managed to play hurling for Dublin due to all three of these - even though he wasn't the tallest either - he had that inner drive to succeed.

Anecdotal evidence I know, but that's what I tell those who have children who are born late in the year.
"It's not the size of the dog in a fight that counts. It's the size of the fight in the dog."
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

From the Bunker

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 07, 2021, 10:36:14 PM

"It's not the size of the dog in a fight that counts. It's the size of the fight in the dog."

Ah yes, but some dogs have to fight harder than other dogs!

Never beat the deeler

what you are describing is someone succeeding despite being 'disadvantaged' due to their birth month. It's not the same as saying there isn't an advantage. Nobody is saying you can't succeed if you are born in December - sure Steven Cluxton did ok for himself
Hasta la victoria siempre

Lar Naparka

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 07, 2021, 11:34:57 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 07, 2021, 10:36:14 PM

Ah yes, but some dogs have to fight harder than other dogs!
Arra, how can they fight harder if they have don't more fight in them than in the other dog to begin with?
(Or something like that... I think. ;D)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Itchy

I think lots of things are important. But statistically the time of year you are born has a significant effect on your ability to "make it". The only point of that statistic is to make coaches aware of it so that they check out the dobs of kids they coach, in theory you could have 2 kids on same team 11/12 months between their ages and we all know how much kids can grow and develop in 1 year.