All the pressure is on Kerry to deliver an All Ireland in 2021

Started by TheGreatest, May 13, 2021, 11:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 02, 2021, 08:47:46 PM
Dublin have burned off most of the opposition. Leinster counties don't get all their good players to play inter-county for them anymore. The Mayo, Tyrones, Donegal and Kerry's have to travel to Dublin to play them in important games.

Let alone the money. All the rest is a litany of structures that pander to Dublin. And i know Dublin fans will be saying ''Most of them were there when Dublin were like the rest of us''. Now we are left with embarrassing mismatches at the business end of the championship like the Leinster final v Meath and AI Semi-final v Cavan, and even the AI final v Mayo where Dublin showed us how to win a game in 2nd gear.
It's almost a perfect system for Dublin. The Achilles Heel is the GAA's dependence on match income to fund its activities.
Whenever Covid finishes, takings from football matches will be way down on pre Covid levels. It's a Ponzi scheme.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on June 02, 2021, 09:19:46 PM
Dublin have burned off most of the opposition. Leinster counties don't get all their good players to play inter-county for them anymore. The Mayo, Tyrones, Donegal and Kerry's have to travel to Dublin to play them in important games.

Let alone the money. All the rest is a litany of structures that pander to Dublin. And i know Dublin fans will be saying ''Most of them were there when Dublin were like the rest of us''. Now we are left with embarrassing mismatches at the business end of the championship like the Leinster final v Meath and AI Semi-final v Cavan, and even the AI final v Mayo where Dublin showed us how to win a game in 2nd gear.
It's almost a perfect system for Dublin. The Achilles Heel is the GAA's dependence on match income to fund its activities.
Whenever Covid finishes, takings from football matches will be way down on pre Covid levels. It's a Ponzi scheme.

You will never get the crowds that used to follow Donegal, Tyrone and especially Mayo. Most fans in these counties Know deep down the game is up!

Kerry beating Dublin won't solve the problem. Kerry are renowned for their poor support.

Captain Obvious

Shows how much the standard of challenger has dipped. 2013,2016 was two All Ireland finals where Dublin was there for the taking and Mayo found ways to lose both of them.

JoG2

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 02, 2021, 09:33:50 PM

Shows how much the standard of challenger has dipped. 2013,2016 was two All Ireland finals where Dublin was there for the taking and Mayo found ways to lose both of them.

Shows how much further Dublin has  pulled away. 2013, 2016, the Dublin team found a way to beat a golden generation from Mayo at the peak of their powers.

From the Bunker

Ah, yeah blame the main contender. They were not up to it and others that have followed them have failed to lead the way! Thems the breaks. It's a relief that their time has passed.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: JoG2 on June 02, 2021, 09:47:53 PM

Shows how much further Dublin has  pulled away. 2013, 2016, the Dublin team found a way to beat a golden generation from Mayo at the peak of their powers.

Debatable if Dublin are better now than they were in 2013 and 2016. Right now has no challenger to push them to pin of their collar like those Mayo sides did yet it won't stop the media trying to convince us that Kerry are capable this summer.

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 02, 2021, 09:57:06 PM
Ah, yeah blame the main contender. They were not up to it and others that have followed them have failed to lead the way! Thems the breaks. It's a relief that their time has passed.

Mayo had no one to blame but themselves for not winning at least one of those finals. Individuals errors on and off the field cost Mayo and the overriding feeling should be regret not relief.

macker15

Most teams outside of Division 1 the best club players never represent their county. Happening in likes of Wicklow, Carlow, Limerick, Derry and Tipp the last 30 years.

macker15

Only for Cillian O'Connor hitting the post Mayo could have been going for 7 in a row

macker15

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 02, 2021, 10:08:23 PM

Debatable if Dublin are better now than they were in 2013 and 2016. Right now has no challenger to push them to pin of their collar like those Mayo sides did yet it won't stop the media trying to convince us that Kerry are capable this summer.

Mayo had no one to blame but themselves for not winning at least one of those finals. Individuals errors on and off cost Mayo and the overriding feeling should be regret not relief.

Donal Vaughan close line on Small will haunt him. He stays Mayo have the game won. The various mayo managers inability to control the discipline of Keegan, Vaughan and O'Connor brothers cost them at vital stages an d referee often turned a blind eye to their antics too. Colm Boyle took the head off HP McGeary above in Tyrone and no sanction. McNulty done same to Keegan and gets straight red. Same game Moran pushes Deegan no further action taken.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 02, 2021, 10:08:23 PM

Mayo had no one to blame but themselves for not winning at least one of those finals. Individuals errors on and off cost Mayo and the overriding feeling should be regret not relief.

Yeah, no team ever has anyone but themselves to blame when they lose a game.  There are exceptions - Louth Leinster final 2010. Individual errors are part of the game. Tell me a game where there were no individual errors? Individual errors are magnified in finals. Dublin made a lot of Individual errors, but these are never scrutanised because they won. 

There is no regret. I had nothing to do with Mayo not winning Sam. I was disappointed. It's easier being so far away from sealing the deal. Being near and knowing the disadvantages that had to be overcome became annoying.  Nobody really said anything about Mayo in the AI final last year. There was nothing to say. The game is dead!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 02, 2021, 10:41:24 PM

Yeah, no team ever has anyone but themselves to blame when they lose a game.  There are exceptions - Louth Leinster final 2010. Individual errors are part of the game. Tell me a game where there were no individual errors? Individual errors are magnified in finals. Dublin made a lot of Individual errors, but these are never scrutanised because they won. 

There is no regret. I had nothing to do with Mayo not winning Sam. I was disappointed. It's easier being so far away from sealing the deal. Being near and knowing the disadvantages that had to be overcome became annoying.  Nobody really said anything about Mayo in the AI final last year. There was nothing to say. The game is dead!

Errors are part of the game I'd agree however in Dublins case it was mostly minor errors. Mayo made major errors that swung contests. It's only natural to have regrets and living in denial if you really think it had nothing to do with not winning Sam Maguire.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 02, 2021, 11:42:57 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 02, 2021, 10:41:24 PM

Errors are part of the game I'd agree however in Dublins case it was mostly minor errors. Mayo made major errors that swung contests. It's only natural to have regrets and living in denial if you really think it had nothing to do with not winning Sam Maguire.
Errors had everything to do with Dublin winning Sam. The better team always make less errors. I don't get your point?

From the Bunker

Mayo have not beaten Dublin in League or Championship since 2012. The Mayo/Dublin rivalry was a myth. It was a procession of Dublin dominance.  ;)

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 02, 2021, 11:51:41 PM
Errors had everything to do with Dublin winning Sam. The better team always make less errors. I don't get your point?

Unforced and self inflicted errors by Mayo is what proved costly. For example in the 2016 drawn All-Ireland final one can't say Dublin was the better team.

From the Bunker