Connacht U20 and U17 championships 2024

Started by Cunny Funt, January 18, 2021, 11:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: Tubberman on April 19, 2023, 08:01:22 PM
Brilliant for Sligo!
As the captain said "Sligo are now a fuckin big dog" :😀

Dillon Walsh who scored the winner it's his birthday today.... To quote Sligo GAA twitter "What a way to celebrate his birthday"
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Cunny Funt

Galway no doubt will be thinking what if with those missed goal chances.  For a lot of that game the 3 matches in 14 days was taking it's toll on Sligo and it was all the more impressive they found that last bit of energy to score the final 3 points of the match to win by 1, Well done Sligo that's two in a row Connacht U20 titles and should have another good team next year so why not 3 in row? 

seafoid

Congratulations Sligo.
Disappointing for Galway but underage losses build senior character.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Gael85

Well done to Sligo. Back to back Connacht u20 titles.

Wildweasel74

Some speed on that Sligo No 19 Walsh. Only seen the 2nd Half, Sligo looked a way better team based on that. No.13 for, Sligo a good player.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 19, 2023, 08:58:43 PM
Some speed on that Sligo No 19 Walsh. Only seen the 2nd Half, Sligo looked a way better team baser on that. No. 13 fir, Sligo a good player.

Galway better side for first 20 minutes. Went 5 points to 1 up and probably should have been a bit further ahead given how on top they were. Sligo better side either side of half time. Galway on top again for the final quarter when they blew those 3 goal chances. Sligo then with 2 points in the 4 minutes of added time to sneak it.

SLIGONIAN

I came back from Canada yesterday for this..I lost my voice but it was worth it..incredible win and bravery, incredible support, just so proud, back with the big dogs lol
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

joemamas

Congrats to Sligo, did not see game today, but was very impressed with them V Mayo.
Hopefully those young lads develope into high quality senior footballers.

Rossfan

Well done Sligo, good win after a rocky 1st 20 minutes.
Dramatic finish to say the least.

Once again black mark  to Connacht Council scheduling, forcing one lot of 19 year olds to play 3 big knock out games in 15 days while playing the other semi final early to give Galway 15 days rest.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rudi

Well done Sligo. Have they ever won an All Ireland senior, minor, U21 semi final?

Maroon Manc

Congratulations to Sligo, winning back to back championships is a brillaint achievement for them considering they'd never won it until last year.

This narrative some of you ae peddling about the scheduling is fanciful, don't think it did Galway any favours either. Very beneficial to Sligo to play games against Mayo & Roscommon especially considering how comfortable they were in both games. whilst Galway had one game against Leitrim.

As the score line suggests the game was very even but as others have stated Galway threw it away with some brainless stuff in the last 10 minutes, the final play summed Galway right up. 8 of those players who started for Galway last night didn't play minor championship for Galway which is very unusual.

mouview

A disappointing defeat for Galway, who will rue missed chances coming down the stretch. Sligo would have felt hard done by had they lost however. Very good contest it must be said, played without rancour or cynicism; I don't think the ref carded anyone throughout. Hope Sligo build on this now and have a real go at the championship.

Mano

Great evening spent in Tuam yesterday. First time I think witnessing a Sligo victory at the venue.
Sligo have a great bunch of footballers there. A lot of things went against them , the harsh free where defender didn't realise a mark was given to Sligo. The 45 after the keeper save looked as if it didn't go out of play resulted in 2 points. The spirit to come back from 2 down at the end showed the charachter of these lads especially considering Galway should have been the fresher team. Subs made a big difference also.  Overall a brilliant occasional role on the All Ireland semi final

sligoman2

Some real talent there on both sides.  I would expect a few being drafted to the seniors later this year.  Really impressed with our full forward, reminded me a bit of Damian Comer.

Hard luck to Galway but believe me our second championship means more to us than a 22nd would to Galway.

Keep it going lads.  The other surprising and good thing about this team is that there was no starting players from either Tourlestrane or Tubbercurry, which tells me there is a lot of good work being done at underage throughout the county. Add in the 2 schools victories for Sligo schools and I have to say the future looks very bright for us.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.