Division one 2021

Started by tonto1888, December 14, 2020, 07:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

The relegation play-offs is where it's at this weekend ....

Armagh v Roscommon
Monaghan v Galway

The makings of two great games .... I expect Armagh v Roscommon will go down to the wire as most Armagh games tend to do.  What's the Roscommon view for their prospects this weekend?

Rossfan

If you asked us after the Galway game very dim.
A bit more confidence after the Kerry game.
I'd say we're looking at it as a 50/50, all on the day etc, etc.
Hopefully it doesn't go to a fkn penalty shoot out.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

KickItInAndStartClapping

Quote from: Rossfan on June 08, 2021, 09:24:53 AM
If you asked us after the Galway game very dim.
A bit more confidence after the Kerry game.
I'd say we're looking at it as a 50/50, all on the day etc, etc.
Hopefully it doesn't go to a fkn penalty shoot out.

That's quite the signature you've got there

An Fhairche Abu

Feel bad for both of the teams that will go down after just 3 league matches and a win or go home game, there was no margin for error at all really.
Avoiding relegation was the only thing that mattered this year given the format so these are two massive games, Galway have a serious job on their hands going up to Moanaghan to escape the trapdoor.
Once you go down it could be a brutal slog to get out again if you don't bounce straight back up as Galway found for the many years we were in Divison Two the previous decade. I wouldn't like to try and predict what shape Galway show up in on Sunday but certainly anything less than full tilt and it'll be down to second tier because in terms of gaining possession from kickouts they will surely be in second place on the day as Monaghan have such an advantage at the goalkeeping position and at restarts.

KickItInAndStartClapping

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 08, 2021, 10:37:16 AM
Feel bad for both of the teams that will go down after just 3 league matches and a win or go home game, there was no margin for error at all really.
Avoiding relegation was the only thing that mattered this year given the format so these are two massive games, Galway have a serious job on their hands going up to Moanaghan to escape the trapdoor.
Once you go down it could be a brutal slog to get out again if you don't bounce straight back up as Galway found for the many years we were in Divison Two the previous decade. I wouldn't like to try and predict what shape Galway show up in on Sunday but certainly anything less than full tilt and it'll be down to second tier because in terms of gaining possession from kickouts they will surely be in second place on the day as Monaghan have such an advantage at the goalkeeping position and at restarts.

I would agree in most things your saying however you need to realise Galway are a division 2 side that have been seriously lacking since their all ireland win in 01.

seafoid

Quote from: KickItInAndStartClapping on June 08, 2021, 10:42:51 AM

I would agree in most things your saying however you need to realise Galway are a division 2 side that have been seriously lacking since their all ireland win in 01.

Division one like everything else in fuball has been debased. Armagh/Ros aren't D1 teams either by that reckoning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVyS9JwtFoQ
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Fhairche Abu

Yeah at All Ireland level a non entity for 20 years and certainly might be a Div 2 side by Sunday evening alright but by all other metrics have been Div 1 since 2017 so don't know how we'd need to realise they are a Div 2 side during that period? Is it that they weren't fit for Div 1 all through or that they are clearly a Div 2 standard team right now?

KickItInAndStartClapping

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 08, 2021, 11:54:35 AM

Galway excellent county for GAA and have upmost respect for them however, it can be said that there are sides sitting in div2 and derry in div3 that could put it up to the Tribesmen
Yeah at All Ireland level a non entity for 20 years and certainly might be a Div 2 side by Sunday evening alright but by all other metrics have been Div 1 since 2017 so don't know how we'd need to realise they are a Div 2 side during that period? Is it that they weren't fit for Div 1 all through or that they are clearly a Div 2 standard team right now?

An Fhairche Abu

With all due respect to those Div 2 teams and Derry they have been playing some teams that are nowhere near Div 1 standard. Galway have been stuck playing Dublin and Kerry out of 3 games due to the crazy structure of the league this year.
I don't think Galway are in a great place at the minute and the more I see on the pitch, the less confidence I have in the mgt team but I don't see a whole pile down the Divisions that's all that great outside of Mayo who are clearly better than several Div 1 teams.

KickItInAndStartClapping

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 08, 2021, 12:24:58 PM
With all due respect to those Div 2 teams and Derry they have been playing some teams that are nowhere near Div 1 standard. Galway have been stuck playing Dublin and Kerry out of 3 games due to the crazy structure of the league this year.
I don't think Galway are in a great place at the minute and the more I see on the pitch, the less confidence I have in the mgt team but I don't see a whole pile down the Divisions that's all that great outside of Mayo who are clearly better than several Div 1 teams.

I agree Galway's fixtures and the way the league has been handled this year is a disgrace in my opinion however, you must admit that it's been coming for Galway for a while since their fluke season a couple of years ago. Mayo will be straight back up and are a lot more fitting of Galway's spot.

From a tyrone fan

An Fhairche Abu

Don't see how "it's been coming for a while" in all honesty, on what basis? That statement doesn't stack up in reality. Galway have had zero relegation issues until this year, finished table in 1st, 5th, 3rd in previous years.
50/50 chance of it right now but the eqivalence of a poor showing over 3 weeks in May 2021 to it's "been coming since 2018" is some stretch. Even if you were to say it's been coming since the games resumed last October then that's a strong argument but saying it's coming since 2018 doesn't make any sense.
Mayo are a better team than Galway but they are better than a good few more as well in Div 1, plenty other teams in the lower ranking range outside of Dublin, Mayo and Kerry who could all beat each other depending on the day.

KickItInAndStartClapping

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 08, 2021, 01:21:54 PM
Don't see how "it's been coming for a while" in all honesty, on what basis? That statement doesn't stack up in reality. Galway have had zero relegation issues until this year, finished table in 1st, 5th, 3rd in previous years.
50/50 chance of it right now but the eqivalence of a poor showing over 3 weeks in May 2021 to it's "been coming since 2018" is some stretch. Even if you were to say it's been coming since the games resumed last October then that's a strong argument but saying it's coming since 2018 doesn't make any sense.
Mayo are a better team than Galway but they are better than a good few more as well in Div 1, plenty other teams in the lower ranking range outside of Dublin, Mayo and Kerry who could all beat each other depending on the day.

Maybe your right and I didn't have such an in-depth look as I should have. I stand corrected.

galwayman

Quote from: KickItInAndStartClapping on June 08, 2021, 02:05:22 PM

Maybe your right and I didn't have such an in-depth look as I should have. I stand corrected.
Absolutely correct. We won division 2 in 2017 and haven't been close to being relegated in the 3 seasons since.

KickItInAndStartClapping

Quote from: galwayman on June 08, 2021, 02:19:39 PM
Quote from: KickItInAndStartClapping on June 08, 2021, 02:05:22 PM

Absolutely correct. We won division 2 in 2017 and haven't been close to being relegated in the 3 seasons since.

Still a long way away from an All Ireland Final appearance never mind a Sam Maguire

skeog

Same as 30 others in regard to winning Sam.