Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: highorlow on July 16, 2018, 09:12:16 AM
QuoteThe problem with a shot clock is that an extra official therefore is required at every match. I'm not so sure any club would want another few thousand per year in referee fees.

The ref wears watchs I believe.

I see the paranoid Dub is on here having a go. This is not about Dublin.

So you'd propose that if Lee Keegan and Colm Boyle were swamping Denis Moran, that the referee instead of looking for fouls, should be keeping his eye on his watch to make sure Moran doesn't exceed the allocated (say) 50 seconds.... while somehow always remembering for press reset the moment that Keegan or Boyle claims the ball, or the moment just a few milliseconds later when Moran reclaims it?

Not possible for one man to do all this friend.

highorlow

QuoteNot possible for one man to do all this friend.

Let the linesmen do it. They do f**k all else.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

APM

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on July 16, 2018, 09:08:50 AM
Think about it lads, this is just another suggestion to try to beat Dublin without having to match them in terms of footballing quality. Awhile back the focus was on trying to concoct rules to disrupt Stephen Cluxton's kick-outs. One of the changes brought in to try to stymie Cluxton was the introduction of the "mark" - we all saw how that worked last Saturday with Dublin winning most of the long kick-outs even those from the Donegal keeper.

There's been much talk about the standard of football in the Dublin/Donegal game. Now I wonder if that is simply down to the fact that Dublin won again. If Donegal had won while holding on to the ball during the last few minutes of the game it would be talked about now as the game of the decade.

Talk about being introspective and defensive.  This is about more than Dublin; the Kerry - Galway game was worse. Football played like this isn't worth watching. Sligoman talks about turning the football off. 

Your response reminds me of the time Joe Kernan and others managed to get the sin-bin abolished.  It was a better rule than the black card and the strong teams at the time thought that it would do more harm to them than others. For some reason, Mickey Harte also seems to have major issues with talk of changing the rules to make it a better spectacle.  The truth is that the strong teams will adapt and Dublin or Tyrone will have nothing to fear from a change in the rules - they just might have a bit more work to do and undo with their players. 

But whether its Dublin, Donegal, Tyrone, Armagh or London, I'm sick looking at games where teams play keep ball in their own half and you and the GAA are deluded if they think that people will continue to pay €30 at time to watch this shit in a half empty stadium with zero atmosphere. 

didlyi

If ye keep tweaking rules you end up with something very different from what you started with. The 'evolving game' is rubbish. Both the soccer and hurling yesterday were played largely the same as it was played 30 years ago. Gaelic football looks like another sport entirely. The problem is with the basics of the game. Put the foot back in the game and get rid of the handpass.

thewobbler

Quote from: highorlow on July 16, 2018, 09:19:08 AM
QuoteNot possible for one man to do all this friend.

Let the linesmen do it. They do f**k all else.
Doesn't solve the problem that club sides would be paying thousands a year more for officials if it was mandatory to have two at every club league game

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: didlyi on July 16, 2018, 09:34:49 AM
If ye keep tweaking rules you end up with something very different from what you started with. The 'evolving game' is rubbish. Both the soccer and hurling yesterday were played largely the same as it was played 30 years ago. Gaelic football looks like another sport entirely. The problem is with the basics of the game. Put the foot back in the game and get rid of the handpass.

Soccer is very different from 30 years ago,  the tackle from behind was outlawed.  I remember hearing an interview with Maradona talking about the effect of rule changes have had the major one being tackle from behind allowed the good players to flourish. In the 70's lads were trying to maim the flair players.  The Goalie was allowed to pick up the ball on a pass back from their own team, are you too young to remember the 1990 world cup, Ireland's tactic pass it back to Packie who hoofed it up front.  Ireland v Holland excitment personified NOT.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 16, 2018, 02:01:42 AM
I think we're seeing an early glimpse of a real weakness in the current competition structure. You have a good side that is very strong in defence, playing a side that they're not likely to beat. But because it's a league setup, and they'd give themselves a fair chance of winning the other two games, it's imperative that they don't get hammered.  So despite an imminent loss, there is no incentive for them to try to win if doing so risks a tanking. Imagine how the last ten minutes might have gone if Donegal had been facing exit from the tournament.

So, is it a rule change thats needed, or a return to qf knockout?

Ffs will you wait to at least we've played two games in the competition before blaming it for all the games ills. It's virtually knock out for Kerry in Clones next weekend, let's see how that goes. It's virtually winner takes all in Omagh. It's knock out stage for Kildare and Roscommon, both at home. There's plenty to get excited about if we just stop wringing our fecking hands after every bad game.
That was never a square ball!!

BennyCake

Quote from: sligoman2 on July 16, 2018, 02:55:19 AM
I think football is in a very bad place at the moment.  4  very poor games this weekend from an entertainment point of view.  Dublin just as guilty.  I believe that once you get into your opponents half you can't go back to your own half at all until the ball goes out of play.  I know we have talked about this before but this weekend for me showed that something needs to be done, I turned off the football twice this weekend to watch the hurling and the World Cup and I doubt I'm the only one.  The entertainment is disappearing at the expense of stats, blankets and keep ball.  A very sad state for a once proud and entertaining game.  I don't even know if I will watch the games next week as I'm not enjoying it at all.

I could've wrote the same myself.

Football is pure piss nowadays.

BallyroanAbu

There is nothing wrong with changing rules to promote attack, makes it more exciting and if they don't work you try something else.  I like good defense but the wider audience likes attack and it should be promoted.

A shot clock would be interesting after a while it would become instinctive to speed up your attack.  I don't know if it would work but nothing wrong with trying it.

TheGreatest

Regarding the last 10 minutes of the Dublin v Donegal match, Dublin are not there to entertain, they are there to win.

Some matches are very defensive, stale and tight, others are free flowing attacking football. Like in every sport there are good games and bad games, I believe this year is heading for the highest scoring championship to date. A lot good games this year.

BallyroanAbu

Laois V Dublin
Kerry V Cork
Cork V Tyrone
Tyrone V Roscommon
All high scoring were they good games ?
The Super 8's is a positive in the GAA but 3 out of the 4 games were quite poor to watch this can't be a good thing.  I don't have the answer to improving the game but should we not be talking about it.

manfromdelmonte

Maybe just push up and go 14 v 14 out the field?

Jinxy

The problem isn't the last 10 minutes of the Dublin/Donegal game.
The problem is the full 70 minutes of the Galway/Kerry game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BennyHarp

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on July 16, 2018, 10:02:50 AM
Laois V Dublin
Kerry V Cork
Cork V Tyrone
Tyrone V Roscommon
All high scoring were they good games ?
The Super 8's is a positive in the GAA but 3 out of the 4 games were quite poor to watch this can't be a good thing.  I don't have the answer to improving the game but should we not be talking about it.

Those games being poor spectacles are nothing to do with hand passes, back passes, shot clocks etc. The teams are just unevenly matched and until a full and fair assessment of how we progress in terms of funding equality then we will always get teams who feel they have little option than to play conservatively. The Dubs have no excuse though but for me it does show the first little chink of weakness that they feel they had to do that. Maybe they are beginning to feel a little bit of the pressure of being unbeatable.
That was never a square ball!!

APM

Quote from: didlyi on July 16, 2018, 09:34:49 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWEU5gn8Q5k

Plenty of handpassing here - OK less of it in the middle of the field - but the handpasssed goals were a joke.  The natural inclination of football is to evolve and rules need changed when that evolution takes it it a direction where people don't want to watch.  Other sports do it for the same reasons - eg Rugby