Time to merge the LGFA and Camogie Association under the GAA umbrella

Started by Eamonnca1, October 03, 2017, 07:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiempo

Quote from: full moon on February 22, 2022, 10:01:44 PM
Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on February 22, 2022, 02:23:51 PM
Quote from: tiempo on February 22, 2022, 01:53:09 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on February 22, 2022, 12:13:50 PM
quality is at the essence of the latest effort to amalgamate the two women's Gaelic games organisations with the GAA, the Gaelic Players' Association (GPA) looking to crystallise opinion on that matter with their motion at Congress this weekend.

GPA chief executive Tom Parsons outlined that exact intention at a press briefing at the Radisson Hotel in Dublin Airport on Monday, highlighting the fact the biggest push is coming from the players themselves, and that the time for integration is "here and now".

Motion 33 calls on the association "to prioritise integration with the LGFA and Camogie Association in order to jointly ensure equal recognition, investment and opportunity for all genders to play all sports in the Gaelic games family".

For Parsons, the former Mayo footballer, there's already been enough talk on the matter, now is the time for action.

"There's been a journey for the three separate governing bodies for 20 years now," he said, "even going back to 2003 when Seán Kelly set up a working group to bring them all together as one GAA family, by the end of 2007.

"Since then all we've seen are memorandums of understanding, agreement to make stronger links, but we've never got a commitment. That's what players are shouting for now, a commitment and timeline, because equality cannot be achieved as long as there are three separate organisations.

"The motion is about integration, but also to ensure equal opportunity for every GAA player, girl or boy, man or woman. Morally and culturally it's the right thing to do, but it also creates great opportunities, to further propel the GAA as one of the greatest sporting organisations in the world. The one thing that's holding the GAA back is that it represents boys and men only."

As for barriers which to date may have prevented such a move, Parsons believes fear of losing some "voice" may be chief among them: "There might be the fear of losing an independent voice, or would there be equal investment and recognition. There's a responsibility for the GAA to ensure this is a win-win for all three associations, same as when the GPA merged with the LGPA [last year]. Since we merged the women's voice has only been strengthened.

Tom needs to give his head a wobble with that soundbite, a bit rich the GPA lecturing on perceived inequality, there are 3 organisations, its OK to have 3 organisations, 3 organisations which I'm sure are proud of their achievements and rightly so. 3 organisations that I'm sure can be integrated and will be, but why is it any more the GAAs responsibility than either of the other 2 organisations. Vomit inducing to be honest.

Conor Meyler giving it the big one too... "if you stay quiet you're part of the problem" "it's a lack of awareness and education in young males" "we seen the Aisling Murphy incident... how many males went and had a conversation then? I was able to go to my girlfriend and have a conversation about it because you're trying to break down barriers"  ... bore the f**k off you absolute unicorn

Was a bit confused at this line in particular. What that has got to do with the LGFA and Camogie Association being better organised or agreeing to come under the GAA umbrella is beyond me.
Many in society are better placed to address/comment on those broader societal issues than Conor Meyler and Tom Parsons ffs.

Very strange statement from Meyler. Seems to be trying to shoehorn some feminist agenda into it.

And he's doing a PhD on Gender in Sport?  What does that qualify him to do? Some odd fellows up in Tyrone it must be said.

It's a license to print money I'd say, when I was at University there was a door labelled "poet in residence" Meyler will be that guy, grant funded for the next 20 years no bother with that "qualification"

full moon

Quote from: tiempo on February 22, 2022, 10:55:18 PM
quality is at the essence of the latest effort to amalgamate the two women's Gaelic games organisations with the GAA, the Gaelic Players' Association (GPA) looking to crystallise opinion on that matter with their motion at Congress this weekend.

GPA chief executive Tom Parsons outlined that exact intention at a press briefing at the Radisson Hotel in Dublin Airport on Monday, highlighting the fact the biggest push is coming from the players themselves, and that the time for integration is "here and now".

Motion 33 calls on the association "to prioritise integration with the LGFA and Camogie Association in order to jointly ensure equal recognition, investment and opportunity for all genders to play all sports in the Gaelic games family".

For Parsons, the former Mayo footballer, there's already been enough talk on the matter, now is the time for action.

"There's been a journey for the three separate governing bodies for 20 years now," he said, "even going back to 2003 when Seán Kelly set up a working group to bring them all together as one GAA family, by the end of 2007.

"Since then all we've seen are memorandums of understanding, agreement to make stronger links, but we've never got a commitment. That's what players are shouting for now, a commitment and timeline, because equality cannot be achieved as long as there are three separate organisations.

"The motion is about integration, but also to ensure equal opportunity for every GAA player, girl or boy, man or woman. Morally and culturally it's the right thing to do, but it also creates great opportunities, to further propel the GAA as one of the greatest sporting organisations in the world. The one thing that's holding the GAA back is that it represents boys and men only."

As for barriers which to date may have prevented such a move, Parsons believes fear of losing some "voice" may be chief among them: "There might be the fear of losing an independent voice, or would there be equal investment and recognition. There's a responsibility for the GAA to ensure this is a win-win for all three associations, same as when the GPA merged with the LGPA [last year]. Since we merged the women's voice has only been strengthened.

Tom needs to give his head a wobble with that soundbite, a bit rich the GPA lecturing on perceived inequality, there are 3 organisations, its OK to have 3 organisations, 3 organisations which I'm sure are proud of their achievements and rightly so. 3 organisations that I'm sure can be integrated and will be, but why is it any more the GAAs responsibility than either of the other 2 organisations. Vomit inducing to be honest.

Conor Meyler giving it the big one too... "if you stay quiet you're part of the problem" "it's a lack of awareness and education in young males" "we seen the Aisling Murphy incident... how many males went and had a conversation then? I was able to go to my girlfriend and have a conversation about it because you're trying to break down barriers"  ... bore the f**k off you absolute unicorn

Was a bit confused at this line in particular. What that has got to do with the LGFA and Camogie Association being better organised or agreeing to come under the GAA umbrella is beyond me.
Many in society are better placed to address/comment on those broader societal issues than Conor Meyler and Tom Parsons ffs.

Very strange statement from Meyler. Seems to be trying to shoehorn some feminist agenda into it.

And he's doing a PhD on Gender in Sport?  What does that qualify him to do? Some odd fellows up in Tyrone it must be said.

It's a license to print money I'd say, when I was at University there was a door labelled "poet in residence" Meyler will be that guy, grant funded for the next 20 years no bother with that "qualification"

;D

It's a strange one, seems like a very staunchly feminist course to be doing at PhD level for a man.

It must qualify him to go on RTE radio and come out with absurd crap. Think a fair few people see through men like this, hopping on a self righteous bandwagon dictating to others while being a total hypocrite at the same time. Think this country has enough of that shite.

tiempo

It's the crass way Ashling Murphy has been drawn into it which has really sickened me. The article is very self righteous and stinks of media profile building opportunism, be an uber feminist all you want but at least try and stay within the lines. Another few punt in the account anyway nomatter I suppose

johnnycool

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 22, 2022, 05:44:48 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 22, 2022, 04:54:45 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 22, 2022, 04:27:29 PM
One of the things this change does is reduce the number of counties administered by the GAA who have never won a senior all Ireland.

Monaghan ladies have 2 all Irelands
Antrim have 6 camogie titles
Mayo ladies know how to win finals

Mayo Ladies have not won an AI in nearly 20 years. It's like saying Galway footballers know how to win AI's?

His point is valid. Where is this assumption the GAA can do it better coming from? It's a bit mansplainy

It's ultimately a decision for the LGFA and the Camogie Association to make, so no mansplaining in it, but the benefits of them coming inside the umbrella is easier access to thousands of pitches for intercounty and provincial games whereas the Camogie association only have the two pitches maintained by Cork Camogie in Blackrock and I think Tipp Camogie have their own grounds, don't think the LGFA have any and are reliant on the good will of standalone GAA units making their pitches available as we witnessed last weekend.

Club wise I don't think there's an issue with pitch availability but there might be.

Baile Brigín 2

If I am following correctly, the driver here is GPA have taken on women so the three bodies should match them. For that reason alone I am opposed.

Cavan19

Quote from: full moon on February 22, 2022, 11:08:00 PM
Quote from: tiempo on February 22, 2022, 10:55:18 PM

;D

It's a strange one, seems like a very staunchly feminist course to be doing at PhD level for a man.

It must qualify him to go on RTE radio and come out with absurd crap. Think a fair few people see through men like this, hopping on a self righteous bandwagon dictating to others while being a total hypocrite at the same time. Think this country has enough of that shite.

Like bressie and Rory's stories going around the country charging a packet to give mental health talks.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: johnnycool on February 23, 2022, 08:47:09 AM
It's ultimately a decision for the LGFA and the Camogie Association to make, so no mansplaining in it, but the benefits of them coming inside the umbrella is easier access to thousands of pitches for intercounty and provincial games whereas the Camogie association only have the two pitches maintained by Cork Camogie in Blackrock and I think Tipp Camogie have their own grounds, don't think the LGFA have any and are reliant on the good will of standalone GAA units making their pitches available as we witnessed last weekend.

Club wise I don't think there's an issue with pitch availability but there might be.

Armagh LGFA have a pitch at the former "Morgan" Killean club.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

full moon

Quote from: Rossfan on February 23, 2022, 11:05:57 AM
Mods,
Some disgraceful personal attacks on an individual.
Really where? Do you think the comments are appropriate by Meyler? Because they're being criticised elsewhere. Come out with deliberately antagonistic, self serving and divisive comments, expect criticism on them.

Hound

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 23, 2022, 09:37:16 AM
If I am following correctly, the driver here is GPA have taken on women so the three bodies should match them. For that reason alone I am opposed.
You probably should have checked first whether you were following correctly, before posting such a juvenile retort. 

tiempo

Quote from: Hound on February 23, 2022, 03:05:31 PM
You probably should have checked first whether you were following correctly, before posting such a juvenile retort.

BB2 you are following correctly. The GPA have taken a virtue signaling position having only recently brought the WGPA on board.

The WGPA's report 'Levelling the Field', released in October 2020 noted that 93 per cent of female intercounty players receive no travel expenses at all. Some spend up to €200 per week on fuel to accommodate training.

That report also highlighted that while the government provided €3m for the GAA's player grants scheme last year, just €700,000 went to the women's game.

Shame on those claiming the inability of the LGFA or Camogie Association to facilitate their members participation is the fault/responsibility of the GAA, and the inability of the LGFA/Camogie association to assimilate with each other or the GAA is the fault of the GAA. The GAA are incredibly supportive of these organisations, and before they become part of the GAA they need to get their own house in order.

If the lads really wanted to make a statement, maybe they would donate half of their grants to their female counterparts, yeno if you're not taking action you're part of the problem.

full moon

No coincidence all this feminist anti men shite from the GPA after they hired that "Diversity, Equality and Inclusion" officer Gemma Begley from Tyrone.

This seems orchestrated I see Gearoid Hegarty and Meyler tweeting out similar today, are all these cretins on the GPA pay roll?

thebackbar1

Its fantastic to see the GPA pushing for equality ! Requesting that county training facilities would be shared equally between mens and ladies teams and requesting equal spending on all adult teams. Surely in the short term this will see mens teams having less access to facilities and less cash to be spent on them, but its fantastic to see the mens section of the GPA pushing for this.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Hound on February 23, 2022, 03:05:31 PM

Prove me wrong. It was a lady GPA manager on the wireless plugging this yesterday

full moon

Quote from: thebackbar1 on February 23, 2022, 03:53:15 PM
Its fantastic to see the GPA pushing for equality ! Requesting that county training facilities would be shared equally between mens and ladies teams and requesting equal spending on all adult teams. Surely in the short term this will see mens teams having less access to facilities and less cash to be spent on them, but its fantastic to see the mens section of the GPA pushing for this.
Meyler, Parsons is that you?

"Equality" is such a meaningless word. The GPA represent only themselves, a handful of wannabe politicians trying to promote themselves and get money/employment to help their "careers".

Equally spending on all teams is absurd especially for smaller counties, when 95% of the money is coming from men's matches. That isn't equality it's nonsensical.

You could argue for shared facilities and most will agree, but some of the commentary surrounding this has been disgraceful from the GPA.