Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 21, 2015, 11:31:47 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 21, 2015, 07:17:04 PM
Quote from: Highlander3 on August 20, 2015, 08:52:03 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 20, 2015, 01:29:57 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 20, 2015, 12:44:28 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 20, 2015, 12:28:53 AM

It's whoever is going the best on the team that is going the furthest.

James O Donoghue one year.

Michael Murphy another.

Diarmuid Connolly another.

You d have to go back to mid 90's to get a player that was 'carrying' a team. Peter Canavan. By the mid 00s he was the cherry on the top of a fine cake. Murphy had likes of Durcan, Gallagher, Lacey, McGlynn, McGee and McFadden at times, being top class as well.
Connolly and O'Donoghue as well have considerable cavalry in support. In fact you could make a case for more important players on both those sides.

In fairness if carrying a team is the requirement it's got to be Niall McNamee and Emlyn Mulligan.

Yeah. Add in likes of Peter McGinnity, O Hara, Declan Browne, Mickey Kearins, Dessie Barry, Kevin O Brien, Mattie Forde, in the past.

But Canavan was the alpha player for Tyrone in mid 90s. Got within dodgy reffing of an AI with a welter-weight midfield. The 80s team had great big All Time Great  players like McGuigan and Eugene McKenna. Then you had likes of Plunkett Donaghy, O Hagen and McCabe as well in those 80s teams. Some of the 90s Tyrone did last until the AIs. Everybody remembers Colm O Rourke saying that Tyrone would nt win an AI with likes of Dooher in the team. I thought that was silly at the time myself.

Anyway, what I m saying is, that Peter Canavan has been the most important individual player that I ve seen in a team at the highest level.

Totally agree with this, that's why I think Canavan is the best player I have ever seen

It's  totally subjective and it's gas how you've only named inside forwards

The best individual player I've seen in terms of being absolutely critical to his team is Anthony Tohill. I don't think I've ever seen a player have so much influence on a team then him. He could do everything on a GAA pitch. Ticked every single box. Hasn't been a midfielder like him since until David Moran. Derry would have won nothing without him

Tyrone would have still won 3 all irelands without Canavan ( well the 2 he was involved with)

Interesting way to look at it Indie, I also have always thought the same the best overall footballers are generally the guys up the middle and in particular midfielders

Tohill for me was a great footballer, he could do pretty much everything on a pitch and how some people put Dara O'Se (a great player too it must be said) ahead of him is beyond me. There is no way tho that he was carrying that Derry team, it had fantastic players all over the pitch with the exception of the FF line.

I always said Tyrone's best footballer is Frank McGuigan but he may not have been as effective as Canavan. Gearad Cavlan would be a more extreme example, in terms of talent and ability he would be in my Tyrone top 5. His effectiveness tho was questionable tho due to various aspects, bit of a renegade, not a leader, hot and cold, character etc.

However the point that I am trying to make is Canavan was by far the most effective footballer for Tyrone, a good part of that was his leadership and ability to make others raise their game.

So in terms of effectivness I would probably have Canavan up there, but in terms of ability as an overall footballer defo not, some skills he had were outstanding and unique for his position but he wouldnt have been that great if you stuck him at CB for example.

I dunno who would be top of my footballing ability chart, but Tohill would be up there.

Yeah, Tohill was some player. Dermot Earley was a player you would clone imo. One of my favourite players of all time. Eamonn O Hara an unbelievable talent as well. But harder to like. I d put him on a best of team I saw play. Matt Connor has to be up there as well. Larry Thomkins was a complete player too.

When I was a kid I remember Purcell and Carney being talked about as being complete. Mick O Connell and Jacko more recently. The Kerry greats were always surrounded by other greats but great anyway.

McKenna and McGuigan were complete as well. I think McKenna got All-Stars in 3 different lines. McGuigan would have played mid-field as well when he was in better shape.

moysider

Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 21, 2015, 08:36:12 AM
Quote from: Hardy on August 20, 2015, 08:15:03 PM
Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 20, 2015, 05:13:57 PMthe only team that can beat us is ourselves.

It's for insights like this that I read this board.
too
Took me a few hours to come up with that line.

You re wrong there boss. The worrying thing from our point of view is that a ref will believe that as well and go with that script. That and the home venue is massive. It means that we - or any other team - have to be considerably better to win v Dublin in CP.

In a composite team I would actually have more Mayo players than Dublin player (8/7) without being biased at all. There was a doubt about our management before Donegal but they got that game spot on. So we ll see.

I still think that location/ referring will decide this one. Dublin get a huge boost and fearlessness in CP where they can punch above themselves and when it goes for them you re fucked.

If this was in McHale Park I would be expecting to win it all day long.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: moysider on August 22, 2015, 01:00:08 AM
Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 20, 2015, 05:13:57 PMthe only team that can beat us is ourselves.

too

You re wrong there boss. The worrying thing from our point of view is that a ref will believe that as well and go with that script. That and the home venue is massive. It means that we - or any other team - have to be considerably better to win v Dublin in CP.

In a composite team I would actually have more Mayo players than Dublin player (8/7) without being biased at all. There was a doubt about our management before Donegal but they got that game spot on. So we ll see.

I still think that location/ referring will decide this one. Dublin get a huge boost and fearlessness in CP where they can punch above themselves and when it goes for them you re fucked.

If Mayo don't win in Croker it will be for one reason only - they are not good enough.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

larryin89

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 22, 2015, 02:49:15 PM

too

If Mayo don't win in Croker it will be for one reason only - they are not good enough.

That's fair enough but is there anyone in the right mind would deny Dublin have a distinct advantage playing in croke park . Actually don't bother answering as it's just a load of bollix .

When Jack macaffery brought the Sam Maguire to the young lads national school in malahide , my son asked him one question that he couldn't answer , " when is the second leg in castlebar"? A very young buckeen can figure out is the most f**king ridiculous scenario in our game but your ilk will just gloss over it with a load of nonsense , it's unfair , sin e,
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Jinxy

Well you can forget about winning an All-Ireland now.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

moysider

too

Facetious. To win in CP Mayo have to be much better than the home team. That's the way it is unfortunately for us.
Maybe you are right. We re probably not good enough to be that much better on the day.
But I can understand why Dublin supporters can afford to be glib. Circumstances are stacked in Dublin's favour.

INDIANA

Quote from: moysider on August 23, 2015, 12:37:30 AM

too

Facetious. To win in CP Mayo have to be much better than the home team. That's the way it is unfortunately for us.
Maybe you are right. We re probably not good enough to be that much better on the day.
But I can understand why Dublin supporters can afford to be glib. Circumstances are stacked in Dublin's favour.

Don't make excuses . Jesus Christ I'd love to see Mayo win the big one . I've so many connections there it's not funny . But you sell yourself short every time you mention the pitch and the crowd . Stop looking for exuses

Accept the challenge and embrace it

macdanger2

Would you say 70% of your connections are from there Indiana?  :)

INDIANA

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 23, 2015, 12:48:38 AM

i called that one wrong . I own up .  ;D. I wish Mc Curry was a Dub .

Even napolean got things wrongs .

Seriously though best of luck tomorrow

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on August 23, 2015, 12:56:57 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 23, 2015, 12:48:38 AM

i called that one wrong . I own up .  ;D. I wish Mc Curry was a Dub .

Even napolean got things wrongs .

Seriously though best of luck tomorrow

Yes Mac. Good luck tomorrow.

Said like a true Roscommon man Indy.

Mac2

too

Is this to become our latest excuse now Croke Park, Jesus wept. Have you ever thought that it can also work against the Dubs when things go against them on the pitch. Lets just play the game and stop the moaning.

moysider

Quote from: Mac2 on August 23, 2015, 12:24:43 PM

too

Is this to become our latest excuse now Croke Park, Jesus wept. Have you ever thought that it can also work against the Dubs when things go against them on the pitch. Lets just play the game and stop the moaning.

Yeah, but when they are going well it is a massive boost.
Anyway I like to do my moaning in advance ;D