Jim Gavin: 'Aidan O'Shea is the top footballer in Ireland'

Started by davegaasportsdesk, August 19, 2015, 06:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on August 20, 2015, 12:28:53 AM

It's whoever is going the best on the team that is going the furthest.

James O Donoghue one year.

Michael Murphy another.

Diarmuid Connolly another.

You d have to go back to mid 90's to get a player that was 'carrying' a team. Peter Canavan. By the mid 00s he was the cherry on the top of a fine cake. Murphy had likes of Durcan, Gallagher, Lacey, McGlynn, McGee and McFadden at times, being top class as well.
Connolly and O'Donoghue as well have considerable cavalry in support. In fact you could make a case for more important players on both those sides.

In fairness if carrying a team is the requirement it's got to be Niall McNamee and Emlyn Mulligan.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on August 20, 2015, 12:44:28 AM

Michael Murphy another.

You d have to go back to mid 90's to get a player that was 'carrying' a team. Peter Canavan. By the mid 00s he was the cherry on the top of a fine cake. Murphy had likes of Durcan, Gallagher, Lacey, McGlynn, McGee and McFadden at times, being top class as well.
Connolly and O'Donoghue as well have considerable cavalry in support. In fact you could make a case for more important players on both those sides.

In fairness if carrying a team is the requirement it's got to be Niall McNamee and Emlyn Mulligan.

Yeah. Add in likes of Peter McGinnity, O Hara, Declan Browne, Mickey Kearins, Dessie Barry, Kevin O Brien, Mattie Forde, in the past.

But Canavan was the alpha player for Tyrone in mid 90s. Got within dodgy reffing of an AI with a welter-weight midfield. The 80s team had great big All Time Great  players like McGuigan and Eugene McKenna. Then you had likes of Plunkett Donaghy, O Hagen and McCabe as well in those 80s teams. Some of the 90s Tyrone did last until the AIs. Everybody remembers Colm O Rourke saying that Tyrone would nt win an AI with likes of Dooher in the team. I thought that was silly at the time myself.

Anyway, what I m saying is, that Peter Canavan has been the most important individual player that I ve seen in a team at the highest level.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: tiempo on August 19, 2015, 06:35:50 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on August 19, 2015, 06:33:32 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 19, 2015, 06:26:36 PM
Quote from: davegaasportsdesk on August 19, 2015, 06:22:03 PM
Interesting comments from Dublin manager Jim Gavin.

https://beanbagsports.com/blog/2015/08/18/jim-gavin-aidan-oshea-is-probably-the-top-player-in-ireland/

I'd be fairly sure Jim wouldn't swap Connelly or Brogan for him.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The one thing Dublin don't have is a big target man, if they had one it would allow for a Plan B.

Dean Rock

Haha, Good man tiempo, very droll.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

AZOffaly

Michael Murphy another.

1997 Maurice Fitz carried that Kerry team.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 20, 2015, 09:14:35 AM

Michael Murphy another.

1997 Maurice Fitz carried that Kerry team.
Maurice had a bit more quality around him in 1997 AZ  - the likes of Moynihan, Dara O'Shea, O'Cinneide etc.  He was outstanding in the AIF for sure.

AZOffaly

True enough, I suppose I'm really thinking 1997 was the peak. He basically carried that team all through the 90s.

screenexile

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on August 19, 2015, 11:11:45 PM
Quote from: screenexile on August 19, 2015, 11:10:01 PM
I personally think its David Moran!

Why?

It's an opinion I suppose but I'm always drawn to midfielders when talking about the best footballers.

He has it all he's big, strong, excellent fielder of the ball, can kick off both feet, great range of passing and has no problem scoring. There are certainly no midfielders his equal in Ireland from what I can see!

Farrandeelin

Trying to plámás us now. Wait till everyone :-X sees his big smarmy smug grin after Dublin win by a point or two.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ck

I wouldn't listen to a word Jim Gavin says. He's a bluffer of the highest order!

The Aristocrat

Jim Gavin is right, O Shea is the best footballer in Ireland and Mayo have all the momentum, its Mayo to lose now.

AZOffaly

Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 20, 2015, 12:39:33 PM
Jim Gavin is right, O Shea is the best footballer in Ireland and Mayo have all the momentum, its Mayo to lose now.

Ye Dubs haven't quite mastered the Yerra bit at all really. It's the inherent arrogance in ye that makes it all sound false :)

moysider

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 20, 2015, 03:22:27 PM

Ye Dubs haven't quite mastered the Yerra bit at all really. It's the inherent arrogance in ye that makes it all sound false :)

Correct. Comes across all patronising rather than cute.

The Aristocrat

We are still learning the ways of Yerraaaism, its hard to master, we were thinking of having a training session with Darragh o Se and The Bomber Liston in DCU to assist. 

But seriously, we are only having a bit craic of it and you lads should know that. For me anyway I know we are heavy favourites, have the better team and players and the only team that can be us is ourselves.

But Gavin is right that O Shea is possibly the most difficult player to mark/stop in the country at the moment, all he was doing was stating the obvious.

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 20, 2015, 05:13:57 PM

We are still learning the ways of Yerraaaism, its hard to master, we were thinking of having a training session with Darragh o Se and The Bomber Liston in DCU to assist. 

But seriously, we are only having a bit craic of it and you lads should know that. For me anyway I know we are heavy favourites, have the better team and players and the only team that can be us is ourselves.

But Gavin is right that O Shea is possibly the most difficult player to mark/stop in the country at the moment, all he was doing was stating the obvious.

Jez, easy on the humility! And the only team that can beat ye the next day is Mayo! I know there has been talk of splitting Dublin into two, but it has not happened yet!

muppet

Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 20, 2015, 05:13:57 PM

Worst Yerra EVER!

:D
MWWSI 2017