Terraces on Hill 16 to go

Started by longrunsthefox, December 23, 2009, 09:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: boojangles on December 26, 2009, 05:54:42 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 24, 2009, 10:45:02 PM
Hill 16 is fine the way it is. I can't understand the obsession with all-seater stadiums. If they completed three tiers all the way round it would just look like every other stadium in Europe. The terrace at the Railway End gives the stadium a bit of character and uniqueness.

Its unlikely to ever happen anyway because of the Maynooth line behind the terrace.

Exactly.

It would hardly be a major engineering undertaking to put a train track underneath a stand or divert it around it someway, I never bought into that excuse. The stadium might be finished but it does look unfinished IMHO
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rossfan

We dont need an all seated Stadium in Croke Park or anywhere else.
Mind you some cover on the various standing areas wouldnt go amiss as we do get th'odd biteen a rain in Ireland ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Rossfan on December 26, 2009, 09:21:58 PM
We dont need an all seated Stadium in Croke Park or anywhere else.
Mind you some cover on the various standing areas wouldnt go amiss as we do get th'odd biteen a rain in Ireland ::)

Except McHale Park, Castlebar, currently Irelands largest All-Seater Stadium.   8)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

thewanderer

You could leave the hill in place but continue the upper tier and premium level right round which would be above the railway track, what a stadia that would be then.

sammymaguire

for those who don't know the heritage behind the Hill it looks like the GAA ran out of money and could not afford to finish the job, for those who know and I am sure the Dubs would agree, the stadium is fine as it stands with an 80k capacity
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: sammymaguire on December 29, 2009, 09:51:54 AM
for those who don't know the heritage behind the Hill it looks like the GAA ran out of money and could not afford to finish the job, for those who know and I am sure the Dubs would agree, the stadium is fine as it stands with an 80k capacity
There are those who know its heritage and would still like to see the GAA 'finish the job'
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

thewanderer

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on December 29, 2009, 11:42:36 AM
There are those who know its heritage and would still like to see the GAA 'finish the job'
well said, dont ever forget it

Maguire01

Quote from: Minder on December 23, 2009, 11:52:04 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 23, 2009, 11:44:24 PM
Tradition apart, the Hill provides a more affordable alternative for people might find the prices associated with stand tickets for big games prohibitive. For that reason alone, as well as the tradition, I think it should be retained.

Agree, as the prices for an All ireland Final head inexorably towards a €100 people should have the option of paying a bit less. Haven't been in the hill since the '96 hurling final it
is a hoor of a place with a hangover.
Eh? Who has the luxury of choosing what ticket they'll have for an All Ireland final?

sammymaguire

are 80k fans not enough to see an amateur sport played in a live arena? can't keep some people happy
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

mckieran

Whats the heritage associated with the hill? The hill currently in place is different to the one that was there 10 years ago. The hill that was there 10 years is different to the one that was there during the 80's. There has been constant development there. Why would buliding a stand there be any different to the previous developments?

At a tour of croke park about 3 years ago, the guide said that it would probably have to go all seater eventually due to EU regulations. But that they had not thought that far ahead yet. She said that the railway line was a major barrier. Interestingly, She said that a railway stop at croke park would happen before any more development to the hill (In her opinion).

I agree that the control tower takes a lot away from it. It would look much better if the terrace stretched from the hogan to the cusack. Another alternative would be to complete the horseshoe into a bowl. But to leave the lower tier as standing.

If they ever do try to complete the stadium, then I would hope that the hill would look a little different to the rest of the stadium. To ensure that it is unique

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: sammymaguire on December 29, 2009, 04:03:47 PM

are 80k fans not enough to see an amateur sport played in a live arena? can't keep some people happy
That's just the thing sammy. Hill 16, as it is, is a constant reminder to all of how the present Irish state was formed.  I'd say that those who would like to see Hill 16 to go would be the sort of people who wouldn't give a bollocks about numbers at GAA matches, they would probably be more concerned about the rugby and soccer crowds.

What was it renamed for the rugby and soccer crowds? 

You would think that some people were ashamed of their heritage.... oh wait  ::)
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Main Street

Is that the heritage that some people refer to, the use of the rubble from the 1916 rising?
A use of sarcasm perhaps, as you can't be serious. I think mostly people like the Hill for when the Dubs are playing.
Afaia, Hill 16 had no more heritage cred than the Canal End terracing and certainly less prestige than the Hogan and Cusack stands.

According to Spirit of Dublin website
http://www.spiritof16dsc.com/crokepark.htm
(some 2,000 tons of steal were used in the roof  ;D)

Some interesting figures, they say the Cusack stand seats 24,500 and cost Eur 45m,
Hill 16 and Nally terrace holds 12,700 and cost Eur 35m.

Lone Shark

Quote from: Minder on December 23, 2009, 11:52:04 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 23, 2009, 11:44:24 PM
Tradition apart, the Hill provides a more affordable alternative for people might find the prices associated with stand tickets for big games prohibitive. For that reason alone, as well as the tradition, I think it should be retained.

Agree, as the prices for an All ireland Final head inexorably towards a €100 people should have the option of paying a bit less. Haven't been in the hill since the '96 hurling final it
is a hoor of a place with a hangover.

Why is it thatwhen people want to complain about All Ireland final tickets, they always pick the final - the one game which is probably woefully underpriced, since it is the opportunity of a lifetime to be part of it and would be well worth double the cost. 

I can never understand this. All the supposedly diehard fans constantly give out about johnny-come-latelies in the summer and eventers coming along to the big game, and still they can't see that the best way out of this would be to charge more for the big summer games from August onwards, and give the money back in the Spring for the national leagues and through the clubs.

Anyway, sorry for going off topic. For what it's worth, I'd love to see the ground "finished" with terracing on the lower level and more seats on top, but there isn't a hope of doing it right now for a variety of reasons, the rail line being one of them.