Laytrum v Biffos

Started by AZOffaly, January 29, 2007, 01:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Well, it's that time of year again, and first up is a trip to Carrick on Shannon (I presume). Any word from the Leitrim lads here about how they are shaping up? Offaly had two decent wins in the O'Byrne Cup before being unseated by a late Laois rally in the semi final. Pat Roe did a little experimenting, but not too much has changed, apart from perhaps Ger Rafferty starting in the corner, Joe Quinn making full back his own, Shane Sullivan moving out to centre back, and the surprising form of erstwhile #6 Scott Brady at wing forward.

Promotion has to be achieved this year, or else the league re-org (Is that still going ahead) would leave Offaly in Division 3 or 4, which would be a disaster. In order to achieve that, Offaly will have to beat the likes of Leitrim, even away from home.

Any views on this game?

magpie seanie

Against us in the FBD two weeks ago Leitrim were lively enough and probably a little unlucky to lose. They won't score much from play but against us their free takers were excellent.

About Carrick - we closed her last year for redevelopment when we beat them in the qualifiers and I'm not sure if it's open yet.

AZOffaly

where else could they play? Are there *two* towns in Leitrm? :D

Bord na Mona man

Yet again Offaly travel up to Leitrim.
I can't remember when Offaly last got home advantage against them, but the last 4 or 5 meetings between the sides have been up there. I'm not sure about the venue. Apparently Mohill is a less dreary venue than Carrick On Shannon on a Winter's day. Either way this is an important fixture for Offaly. The three trickiest ties are away from home i.e vs Leitrim, Monaghan and Longford. Leitrim are usually too inconsistent in the league to challenge for promotion, but are very capable of beating any Div 2 team.

Hard to guess what line up Pat Roe will select. He has experimented a fair bit in his first three games. Scott Brady on the half forward line or midfield looks to best find so far. Joe Quinn has done well at full back, but will get bigger tests from now on. Eoghan Byrne deserves a run at wing back. The half forward line and a midfield high fielder look like the main areas that need addressing.

magpie seanie

They play a few games in Cloone too.

Billys Boots

I would have assumed Cloone too Seanie.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys BootsI would have assumed Cloone too Seanie.

Aertel confirms Cloone.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Owenmoresider

Half time - Leitrim 0-8 Offaly 0-5.

(Posted this on Sligo thread, might as well add it to its own.)

Owenmoresider

At the three-quarter point, Leitrim 0-10 Offaly 0-7.

Owenmoresider

6 mins to go, Letirim 0-11 Offaly 0-10, hanging on.

Owenmoresider

Leitirm won 0-12 to 0-11, great result for them.

AZOffaly

That's a bad result for Offaly today. As flagged by Seanie, no more than we would have expected from an away trip like this, it was always going to be tricky, but that was a game Offaly need to be winning.

The pressure is on from the start now, and with tricky away fixtures against Longford and Monaghan, and a tough last game v Roscommon in Tullamore, Offaly have heaped pressure on themselves if they don't want to be in Division 3 next year.

AhFeckRef

:) ;D

Absolutely delighted with Leitrims performance today. Hadn't seen them play in the FBD League and to be honest wasn't expecting great things going over to Cloone today.  Every area of the field played their part.  Thought McCluskey done  a good job keeping Ciaran Mc quiet. Fintan McB performed well considering he hasn't wore the Jersey in a few years. Ciarran Kennedy was a revelation at wing back.  Michael Foley covered a lot of ground as did Colin Regan.  Some great scores taken from play.  Great team support play all round. 

Great start to the league considering players like Michael McGuinness and Declan Maxwell are missing from the panel. Also nice to see Shane Canning's introduction. If he can reach some of the form he showed for Mohill in this years championship while playing for the county then there could be great things ahead!

All in all a great start, but still more work to be done. While they rallied to grab the winner it appeared that they were running a little out of steam in the last quarter. Also still some  poor ball distribution at times today.

Cant help wondering if there's a new found freedom in the Leitrim panel in the absence of Dessie D. through illness. A few guys appear to be making the most of the chance they are getting to impress under the standby management structure.