Derry v Galway, Glen, Sunday 22nd March 2.30pm

Started by screenexile, March 19, 2009, 02:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

There we go lads! As I've said before this is a great game for us. Galway and us are probably fighting it out for the other League Final spot so this will go a long way to deciding that. Will be interesting to see if the lads can raise their game another level after last week because although we played well Dublin were awful. A lot will depend on the team we put out also. There is talk of a right few changes for this game. I fancy Galway to win it but not by much. The performance will be what I'm looking for.

Duine Eile

Nicky Joyce is doubtful for this game, the injury he picked up last week seems to be causing him a bit of trouble. He got a knee in the back according to what I'm hearing.

Duine Eile

Galway Team to play Derry

4 changes from Donegal game, Nicky Joyce out injured:

1.Adrian Faherty (Paul Doherty)
2.Niall Coyne
3.Finian Hanley
4.Damien Burke
5.Gary Sice(Gareth Bradshaw)
6.Diarmuid Blake
7.Darren Mullahy
8.Joe Bergin
9.Barry Cullinane
10.Sean Armsrong
11.Padraic Joyce (Capt)
12.Damien Dunleavy
13.Paul Conroy (Mark Lydon)
14.Michael Meehan
15.Cormac Bane (Nicky Joyce)

GalwayBayBoy

No Bradshaw either. He's fast becoming a very important player. Is he injured or just rested? He's played a lot of games recently so it might be the latter. Mattie and Fitz probably not fully match fit yet either.

Despite the good league campaign so far I'd say we'll be doing well to come away from Derry with a win. Derry don't tend to lose very many at home.

Duine Eile

Ya it'll be a tough encounter alright, no harm to have the likes of Bradshaw and Matt Clancy to call on. No surprise to see Faherty back, he was doing well, only missed out last week on account of the U-21 game Saturday, same with Conroy, capable of landing some monster scores. (Capable of some shocking scud missiles too mind you, usually makes up for it though.) All in all, should be a good indicator of how much we've improved, Derry are a good team and difficult to beat. Would I be right in saying whoever wins this would be in the league final?

Oakleafer1993

Derry: J Deighan, K McCloy, N McCusker, R Dillon, P Cartin, B McGoldrick, SL McGoldrick, Patsy Bradley, E Muldoon, P Young, P Murphy, B Mullan, Paddy Bradley, E Bradley, B McGuigan. Subs: B Gillis, J Diver, B Og McAlary, G O'Kane, C McKaigue, J Kielt, E Brown, S Bradley, Paul Bradley.

wherefromreferee?

No Fergal Doherty, No Sean Martin Lochart, No Kevin McGuckin.  Cassidy is certainly true to his words and experimenting with the League campaign.
I guess Derry are considered safe now, and this is a good time to try out players that are on the cusp of the 1st team.
Will probably make the journey to Glen to have a look at this game - wouldnt rule out a draw!
Derry went down to Galway last year in the league, anyone know the score, or even better, the Derry team that lined out that day?
In your Endo!

Duine Eile

[url]http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=7205.0/url] Last year's thread on the same topic, you should find what you're looking for there ref

Duine Eile

Well that link didn't work at all, you'll have to copy and paste!

wherefromreferee?

MARCH 2008
Derry (v Galway): John Deighan, Kevin McGuckin, Kevin McCloy (Capt.), Francis McEldowney, Liam Hinphey, Michael McBride, Michael McIver, Enda Muldoon, James Conway, Mark Lynch, Paul Murphy, Barry McGoldrick, Conleith Gilligan, Patrick Bradley, Eoin Bradley.
Subs: Barry Gillis, Paul Cartin, Colin Devlin, Joe Diver, Fergal Doherty, Michael Friel, Joe Keenan, Sean M Lockhart, Enda Lynn, Niall McCusker, Ciaran Mullan, Paul O'Hea, Eunan O'Kane, Gerard O'Kane, Raymond Wilkinson.

Thanks Duine Eile

Last year it finished 3-09 to Derrys 0-13
In your Endo!

GalwayBayBoy

Derry 0-13
Galway 2-7

Enda Muldoon with injury time point to draw the game. Sounds like Meehan had another stormer.

belleaqua

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 22, 2009, 04:14:31 PM
Derry 0-13
Galway 2-7

Enda Muldoon with injury time point to draw the game. Sounds like Meehan had another stormer.

Yup, if anything happens Meehan we'r screwed, simple as. Sounds like some of his points could have easily been goals. Not a bad result but it was disappointing that they didnt kick on with the wind in the second half and win

Oakleafer1993

Galway where lucky to get the draw. Derry dominated the second half. Galway only got a penalty and a point in the entire second half. ( All from Meehan) Galway where cleaned out in the middle of the field I thought Patsy Bradley was brilliant. Derry where playing against the wind and I think we kicked about 5/6 wides.We should have taken the game. Dieghan was terrible in nets.

I think you are right without Meehan - Galway are screwed.

GalwayBayBoy

Heard we didn't go great in midfield alright. Then again the commentators on GBFM said that three of Meehan's points could just as easily have ended up in the back of the net as he blasted them just over the bar so a draw was probably a fair result.

In fairness Nicky Joyce was out injured and Cormac Bane got the line so Meehan was without his normal partners either side of him. Still can't be complaining about someone who is actually playing well. If he keeps performing the rest will chip in with their share as well most weeks.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Oakleafer1993 on March 22, 2009, 06:30:58 PM
Galway where lucky to get the draw. Derry dominated the second half. Galway only got a penalty and a point in the entire second half. ( All from Meehan) Galway where cleaned out in the middle of the field I thought Patsy Bradley was brilliant. Derry where playing against the wind and I think we kicked about 5/6 wides.We should have taken the game. Dieghan was terrible in nets.

I think you are right without Meehan - Galway are screwed.

Same problems as last year rearing the head again, going by the fact that Cullinane was taken off and then put on again I'd be very worried that it is going to be the achilles heel of this Galway side again in 2009. Outside of Meehan it doesn't sound like we had much today (13 scores to 9 tells it's own tale) but that said a draw is a good result to take from Maghera.