Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

Quote from: Godsown on June 12, 2023, 11:52:32 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on June 12, 2023, 11:30:31 AM
Why are so many reserve fixture being conceded ?

We have never been able to get the right day/ time for reserve football. We need reserve football to keep on board those players who want to play and get occasional senior game time but it's too easy then to opt out when you couldn't be bothered to go to the other end of the county on a sat evening or Sunday afternoon. No easy answer. This weekend we had combination of brilliant weather, Slane, Belsonic CL final as distractions.

Interestingly the genuine efforts to try to ensure teams field might have been counterproductive. Teams changing times and days , & 13 a side particularly. The game is intensive enough at 15 a side , but for less fit players to have to work harder and exposed to more space and pace,  at 13 a side is unattractive to many.
Ironically we've found it easier to field 15 this year than we did 13 last year . The cccc are excellent in looking at all options and providing competitive leagues. Having tried different times/days , I'm sure they'll know which time results in least DNFs
Many

Mourne Red

Our 2s game against the point off tonight.. Holidays and injuries mean they aren't able to field.

general

The Derry Leagues have 2nds games immediately before the 1st's - would this work in down?

thewobbler

Quote from: general on June 14, 2023, 07:23:49 AM
The Derry Leagues have 2nds games immediately before the 1st's - would this work in down?

Don't think it's a practical solution on a Friday evening.

—-

Like one of the earlier posters I'd commend how flexible County Board are at trying ways, methods, means to ensure seconds football keeps going.

The Tailteann Cup's presence on Saturdays has added a challenge to the Saturday at 5pm slot, which they could have done without. But I'm still a fan of Saturdays. My experience from the past is that the current spell of weather would have decimated a Sunday programme, with both family men on days out and younger players on the lash, relegating their football priorities.

Anyhow the solution to DNFs isn't down to the day of the week. It's a cultural issue that fellas who train with senior football would prefer to be subs on a Friday night than starters for a reserve team. I'll never understand that culture myself, but it seems to be a national issue rather than one particular to Down football.

The bigger clubs suffer less from it. Panel size is no doubt a factor here... but it's also a cultural thing.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: thewobbler on June 14, 2023, 08:56:08 AM

—-

Like one of the earlier posters I'd commend how flexible County Board are at trying ways, methods, means to ensure seconds football keeps going.

The Tailteann Cup's presence on Saturdays has added a challenge to the Saturday at 5pm slot, which they could have done without. But I'm still a fan of Saturdays. My experience from the past is that the current spell of weather would have decimated a Sunday programme, with both family men on days out and younger players on the lash, relegating their football priorities.

Anyhow the solution to DNFs isn't down to the day of the week. It's a cultural issue that fellas who train with senior football would prefer to be subs on a Friday night than starters for a reserve team. I'll never understand that culture myself, but it seems to be a national issue rather than one particular to Down football.

The bigger clubs suffer less from it. Panel size is no doubt a factor here... but it's also a cultural thing.

Jaysus lads. Plenty of Derry reserve matches on a Sunday and they get fulfilled. If theres a stag/wedding usually changed to midweek.

Now thats not to say our league is perfect - far from it. Bigger clubs use to to play fringe players throughout as the league table indicates.

statto

Quote from: thewobbler on June 14, 2023, 08:56:08 AM

—-

Would agree with that.  We have a culture in our club where the reserve team is frowned upon, you will have a load of lads training Tuesday and then cant play on Wednesday night for some reason then don't get any minutes on a Friday/Sunday don't buy the logic at all surely you train to play a match. 

Blackandblue2

A win tomorrow, however that be, would show clear signs of progress. Alot of players got lost in the championship pace agaisnt armagh. First proper knockout game for the team and some players to redeem themsleves. Hope we can get over the line, if so a day out in croke park and a real chance to get into a final.

Ed Hardy

Team for tomorrow;

Kane
A Doherty
Laverty
McCarthy
Rooney
C Doherty
P Branagan
Guinness
Murdock
Kerr
McAleenan
D Magill
E Branagan
Havern
R Johnson

befair

Down better team so far, but horrendously defensive game; only one contested kick-out in 1st half. A rule change to disincentivise defensive tactics is desperately needed (even worse at club level, endless hand-passing around the 45). Great save by Kane, might have been a turning point

thewobbler

That was good from Down. Really good.

Playing to their strengths and playing together.

Walter Cronc

Is Tailteann final down for before one of the AI semi finals?

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 17, 2023, 08:54:58 PM
Is Tailteann final down for before one of the AI semi finals?

Scheduled for 15/16 July.

SHEEDY

Not long back from breffini,  those roads never get better lol. Brilliant performance from Down, defended well and always looked dangerous on the break, probably the best performance of the year, credit to players and management

Maybe that result will keep a few on here quiet for a while, I'd say if we had've got beat the usual suspects would already have been on here.
nil satis nisi optimum

downtothecore

Good performance today.
I found it strange though that the bookies fancied cavan. They are not great. Down dealt with them handy enough.

GAABoardMod5

Quote from: SHEEDY on June 17, 2023, 09:22:24 PM
Not long back from breffini,  those roads never get better lol. Brilliant performance from Down, defended well and always looked dangerous on the break, probably the best performance of the year, credit to players and management

Maybe that result will keep a few on here quiet for a while, I'd say if we had've got beat the usual suspects would already have been on here.

Great win.

Those that issue insults on this thread are on their last chances, by the way.  Next insult will be their last, with usernames and ip addresses getting banned.