Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on May 16, 2021, 11:23:34 PM
Quote from: straightred on May 16, 2021, 10:15:38 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on May 16, 2021, 08:22:13 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 16, 2021, 07:11:43 PM
Quote from: straightred on May 16, 2021, 03:46:32 PM
Quote from: Schkite on May 16, 2021, 03:44:58 PM
I'm not well up on the new rules so maybe I'm missing some new interpretation - but one of the most obvious looking black cards wasn't given at the end of the Monaghan/Armagh first half, when a Monaghan forward was pulled back from being straight through on goal after a poor kickout. I've no idea how the officials arrive at some of these decisions.

Bizarre decision. Thought it was also might have been a penalty as well but im not sure. You won't see a clearer black all year though

Was outside the big square. Kennedy was a very lucky boy tho.

Rules have changed tonto. 'Cynical' foul anywhere inside the 21 or the D that stops a goal scoring opportunity is now a penalty. Not sure if Kennedy's foul was inside the 21 though, maybe just outside.
He couldn't give the penalty if he didnt give the black card as the rule wouldn't apply then. Armagh still won well anyway but lets just say Brannigan is a poor ref and leave it at that.

but don't the definitions of 'cynical fouls' still apply? So a pull back isn't a cynical foul and can't be included as a black card or cynical penalty. If he had body collided / tripped him it may have been a different story.
Blame may be with the rule rather than the refq
Under the new rules IMO it was a penalty/black card,  although Brannigan blew up for the foul I don't think he saw the whole encounter that's why he consulted with the umpire, hardly ever an illuminating conversation.  All academic really  as Armagh were always ahead and led from pillar to post.
Other than that incident I thought Brannigan did well, at least better than my expectations.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Main Street on May 16, 2021, 11:38:29 PM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on May 16, 2021, 11:23:34 PM
Quote from: straightred on May 16, 2021, 10:15:38 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on May 16, 2021, 08:22:13 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 16, 2021, 07:11:43 PM
Quote from: straightred on May 16, 2021, 03:46:32 PM
Quote from: Schkite on May 16, 2021, 03:44:58 PM
I'm not well up on the new rules so maybe I'm missing some new interpretation - but one of the most obvious looking black cards wasn't given at the end of the Monaghan/Armagh first half, when a Monaghan forward was pulled back from being straight through on goal after a poor kickout. I've no idea how the officials arrive at some of these decisions.

Bizarre decision. Thought it was also might have been a penalty as well but im not sure. You won't see a clearer black all year though

Was outside the big square. Kennedy was a very lucky boy tho.

Rules have changed tonto. 'Cynical' foul anywhere inside the 21 or the D that stops a goal scoring opportunity is now a penalty. Not sure if Kennedy's foul was inside the 21 though, maybe just outside.
He couldn't give the penalty if he didnt give the black card as the rule wouldn't apply then. Armagh still won well anyway but lets just say Brannigan is a poor ref and leave it at that.

but don't the definitions of 'cynical fouls' still apply? So a pull back isn't a cynical foul and can't be included as a black card or cynical penalty. If he had body collided / tripped him it may have been a different story.
Blame may be with the rule rather than the refq
Under the new rules IMO it was a penalty/black card,  although Brannigan blew up for the foul I don't think he saw the whole encounter that's why he consulted with the umpire, hardly ever an illuminating conversation.  All academic really  as Armagh were always ahead and led from pillar to post.
Other than that incident I thought Brannigan did well, at least better than my expectations.

Didn't see the incident, so my interest is purely academic.
Are you saying it was a penalty/black card because the foul was one of the 'nominated' cynical fouls? Or are you saying that the definition of a cynical foul has been widened with the introduction of the new rule?

Original post in this quote from Shkite refers to the player being pulled back
Hasta la victoria siempre

balladmaker

For the games next weekend being shown on Eir Sport, how does one watch Eir Sport in the north?  The GaaGo website says 'Available: All countries except Island of Ireland' ... so looks like Eir is the only option. 

lurganblue

Good to see that no matter what division Armagh are in, RTE give them the same minimal few seconds of coverage and chat.

Angelo

To be fair, the coverage as a whole is a joke.

The hurling and football shows should be separate with adequate time served to each. The football alone warrants a 2 hour slot probably if you want to cover the four divisions.

So what you are left with is them trying to cover everything in a minimal amount of time.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

lurganblue

On the game it's self, yeah i'd have to say that Kennedy was a lucky boy to not get a black card.  In the long run I don't think it would have mattered.  At times I thought Armagh looked comfortable, and had another gear.

Still frustrating that with seconds left we managed to allow a relatively decent goal chance.

Taylor

All in all I think it was a poor performance for us and when McShane does come back we need him to be flying - a big ask.

We still persist with this pulling and hauling off the ball - other teams naturally do the same but are cuter about it.

You could see Bonner over giving out to McQuillan at half time - that may have influenced some 50/50 calls in the second half.

Ryan McHugh is now up there challenging Murphy for the biggest yap on the field.

I would like to see Canavan and Bradley get more time on the field together to stretch defences more

balladmaker

Quote from: lurganblue on May 17, 2021, 09:44:20 AM
Good to see that no matter what division Armagh are in, RTE give them the same minimal few seconds of coverage and chat.

Last night's coverage was awful, almost as if this Div. 1 game was getting in the way of talking about the big teams.

lurganblue

Quote from: Taylor on May 17, 2021, 11:04:36 AM
All in all I think it was a poor performance for us and when McShane does come back we need him to be flying - a big ask.

We still persist with this pulling and hauling off the ball - other teams naturally do the same but are cuter about it.

You could see Bonner over giving out to McQuillan at half time - that may have influenced some 50/50 calls in the second half.

Ryan McHugh is now up there challenging Murphy for the biggest yap on the field.

I would like to see Canavan and Bradley get more time on the field together to stretch defences more

The tackle on him wasn't a 2nd yellow in my book. I'd agree with your statement there.

smelmoth

Quote from: lurganblue on May 17, 2021, 09:44:20 AM

Given the 4 games in Division 1 that was always the likely one to get reduced coverage. You would expect it to be different when we play Tyrone and Donegal.

smelmoth

Quote from: Angelo on May 17, 2021, 09:48:15 AM

The hurling and football shows should be separate with adequate time served to each. The football alone warrants a 2 hour slot probably if you want to cover the four divisions.

So what you are left with is them trying to cover everything in a minimal amount of time.

Warrants?

How many would watch a 2 hour football programme especially if it's going to plumb the depths of Division 4 when there would be a separate hurling programme.

Never going to happen

tonto1888

Quote from: balladmaker on May 17, 2021, 08:09:44 AM
For the games next weekend being shown on Eir Sport, how does one watch Eir Sport in the north?  The GaaGo website says 'Available: All countries except Island of Ireland' ... so looks like Eir is the only option.

I have eir sport free with my sky sports package

galwayman

Quote from: balladmaker on May 17, 2021, 08:09:44 AM
If you have a VPN you can purchase the individual games for a tenner.
Unfortunately, I did this for Galway Kerry on Saturday!

Angelo

Quote from: smelmoth on May 17, 2021, 02:45:06 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 17, 2021, 09:48:15 AM

Warrants?

How many would watch a 2 hour football programme especially if it's going to plumb the depths of Division 4 when there would be a separate hurling programme.

Never going to happen

Oh you're being contrary again.

I'll leave it to you so.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Jesus could you imagine 2 hours of punditry on football?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea