GAA Discussion > GAA Discussion

Minor, U17 or U18.. Croke Parks take on it....

<< < (2/12) > >>

bigarsedkeeper:

--- Quote from: johnnycool on September 26, 2022, 10:57:44 AM ---Thoughts?

--- End quote ---

Is this going to be 2023 or 2024 before it actually happens?

Taylor:
Option 1 meaning anyone playing under 18 cant play senior?

That would be the death kneel for a lot of clubs.

This is playing to the big clubs and saying tough shit to a huge number of clubs

Milltown Row2:
without reading all of this bring back under 18 and I like the look of under 20 as a grade.

Its been a poor enough experiment I feel. others may disagree,  kids are not built the way they used to for playing and seniors have certainly changed physically also, so I get the protection issues but there are some hairy arsed minors that wouldn't look out place on senior teams..

So you can't really always put an age on it at times

Armagh18:

--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 26, 2022, 11:47:55 AM ---The change to U17 and U19 isn't working, at least in Armagh in my opinion, anyway.

The U19 competition is almost non-existent (maybe a few games per year) with the result that a 17 year old lad (unless he is a genuine star) won't get much club  football as they won't be fit for senior.
Like U19s, the reserve football only provides a few games per year.

Changing back to U18 would give that 17 year old lad another full year of competitive football where he will be matched better physically.

--- End quote ---
Play under 19ís and under 17ís. Let the stronger lads at u19 play u19 and senior. Gives a chance to lads coming from u17ís who arenít ready for senior football another couple of years playing at their own level to develop physically for senior football.
Most lads I know would have played minor and senior games in a week not a bother to them. 

bigarsedkeeper:

--- Quote from: Armagh18 on September 26, 2022, 12:29:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 26, 2022, 11:47:55 AM ---The change to U17 and U19 isn't working, at least in Armagh in my opinion, anyway.

The U19 competition is almost non-existent (maybe a few games per year) with the result that a 17 year old lad (unless he is a genuine star) won't get much club  football as they won't be fit for senior.
Like U19s, the reserve football only provides a few games per year.

Changing back to U18 would give that 17 year old lad another full year of competitive football where he will be matched better physically.

--- End quote ---
Play under 19ís and under 17ís. Let the stronger lads at u19 play u19 and senior. Gives a chance to lads coming from u17ís who arenít ready for senior football another couple of years playing at their own level to develop physically for senior football.
Most lads I know would have played minor and senior games in a week not a bother to them.

--- End quote ---

Down had planned on playing U19s (or 20s) and reserve football on alternative weeks. I think covid never really let that happen properly but there's something in that. The issue is managers wouldn't let them play a lot of times now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version