Assaults at GAA games

Started by Rudi, September 01, 2022, 11:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

Quote from: Eire90 on May 08, 2023, 09:57:46 PM
could it be down to the epidemic of cocaine

Personality change is a symptom of long covid but you're right it could well be the Coke doing it too.

Armagh18

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on May 08, 2023, 10:09:27 PM
Really??

I remember plenty of batin matches in club football & hurling from I was a child.
It hasn't got worse. It's just you get to see the ones outside your own club now.

Covid & cocaine ffs.
Yeah probably always been a thing. Not that it excuses that sortnof shit, but 20 years ago you wouldnt have people videoing it and sharing on social media.

Milltown Row2

So coke is making people fight in games? Holy f**k!!! I give up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mrdeeds

Can cocaine be blamed for u14 players?

quit yo jibbajabba

Is it too big a stretch to say some cannabis at ht might alleviate some of this?

whitey

There was a scuffle at an underage match in Mayo last year where a player was assaulted by a mentor of the opposing team

The team of the assaulted player were fined for recording an underage game without pre approval from the County Board

imtommygunn

Also who's to say it is a personality change in this instance.

This kind of shift, unfortunately, has been happening for years but if you're a mentor you want to be doing all you can to nip that behaviour in the bud and not be encouraging it. If you're encouraging it or threatening boys with hurls you probably shouldn't be allowed to be a mentor.

brokencrossbar1

Camera phones are the reason for the rise in knowledge of these incidents. They've always been happening,  and in my experience they were a lot worse than they are now. I've been to lot of games in recent years as mentor or supporter I've actually seen a reduction in the level of fights and in fact the ferocity of them. It's only my experience but some of the shit I saw/was involved in over the years puts things in the ha'penny place.....thankfully!

Armagh18

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 09, 2023, 09:02:21 AM
Camera phones are the reason for the rise in knowledge of these incidents. They've always been happening,  and in my experience they were a lot worse than they are now. I've been to lot of games in recent years as mentor or supporter I've actually seen a reduction in the level of fights and in fact the ferocity of them. It's only my experience but some of the shit I saw/was involved in over the years puts things in the ha'penny place.....thankfully!
Yeah agreed, seen a lot bigger scale years ago I think now a lot of people have it in the back of their head that one punch can kill and most will go in with a shove rather than firing a punch to be honest. Would say though that especially at senior level with the amount of s&c that is done these days players are far stronger so if a punch is thrown there is more potential for it to be deadly now.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 08, 2023, 10:36:58 PM
Is it too big a stretch to say some cannabis at ht might alleviate some of this?

Yes. They'd all be hugging it out mannnn!

Captain Scarlet

Before they get paranoid and think the ref is against them!
In this case no 9 seems to be the only one after a row.

Even his own players were pushing him away.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

trailer

Only a matter of time until someone is killed. One punch fatality. Then the GAA will actually do something about it. Still loads of people think that fighting is part of the game and it is unmanly if you don't fight back.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 09, 2023, 09:30:57 AM

His mentor wasn't though.

Trailer I don't know what happens then though. I know this has happened maybe twice in Belfast soccer leagues. I think in one case the league shuts down but then what do they do.

trailer

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 09, 2023, 10:24:16 AM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 09, 2023, 09:30:57 AM

His mentor wasn't though.

Trailer I don't know what happens then though. I know this has happened maybe twice in Belfast soccer leagues. I think in one case the league shuts down but then what do they do.

I think they need to just say striking now carries an automatic 6 month ban. Rugby have taken a no nonsense approach to head contact. Players and Coaches adapt. Rugby know what is coming down the line albeit it's more dementia and brain injuries. Have to get serious about it. Of course it has always happened and the issue is very small, how many games took place over the weekend? 100s if not 1000s, how many had fights? Very few I'd say. However just think that a handlin is on the horizon if it is not stamped out.

johnnycool

I'm not sure any of you lads coach or are involved with underage teams but if the referee puts in their report that a mentor or supporter lays a hand on an underage player it will be treated as assault.

If that much is true then I'd expect the respective authority to be informed, i.e. peelers.

"Following a directive from the GAA National Children's Safeguarding Office last year all incidents where a mentor or supporter grabs an opposing team player will be treated as an assault and will be reported to the National Children's Officer"