Amateurism

Started by seafoid, October 20, 2021, 07:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: thewobbler on November 08, 2021, 09:21:40 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 08, 2021, 09:16:01 PM
Quote from: Silver hill on November 06, 2021, 09:27:54 AM
It's very simple. At the higher levels of soccer in Ireland (throughout the 32) up to 90% of income from gate or sponsor/benefactor goes on chasing a piped dream via payment to players. It stands to reason then that facilitates will deteriorate with zero investment.
Compare that to the GAA model, whereby there is only really an outside management fee to cover for some clubs and factor in the love of place that the GAA is built around. A smallish club might raise 100k in a raffle or corporate dinner; soccer just does not have that culture of volunteerism, where members will walk the highways and byways knocking doors and selling tickets. Add in members providing professional services for free or below cost combined with a professional approach to seeking and obtaining grants and you can see how facilities in Gaa are built.
Local sponsorship is also more freely available as the sponsor can see on the ground, the work and investment going on for minimal personal return for the members.
For me though, the greatest single factor contributing to the quality of Gaa facilities at present is tribal jealousy.
As Patrick Kavanagh once famously said, 'why is it, that all the greatest bastards in the world, are born in the next parish'😂
If then hoots are building a covered 4g with underfloor heating then be god, ours will be 5G

Patronising bullshit. No culture of volunteerism in soccer?

65% of revenue can go on wages. Thats there years and thats 20 clubs out of 6,000 in the 26.

Some GAA clubs are superb with top facilities. Same with soccer. Some are shite. Same with soccer. Some are well run. Some are a shambles.

There are two differences. One. Many multiples of soccer clubs than GAA ones. They need to share facilities or even merge. Two. The GAA got 100% of all sports grants until about 20 years ago. There was a tax on rugby and soccer tickets ringfenced for the GAA until the 60's. It's a blind spot for too many to appreciate just how much more help the GAA got from successive governments.

Or put another way. What Presidential candidate could soccer clubs bung 5k to to guarantee their grant was accepted? The playing field is not level, never has been.

They have their problems, but volunteerism isn't one of them.

The quality and frequency of GAA facilities in the six counties really should help you understand that no matter how much you want to believe something, you aren't entitled to your own "facts".

Part funded as part of that tax. The GAA got a cheque and spent it as they saw fit.

But I think it's fair to say IL grounds are in the main better than LoI ones due to a fairer funding regieme.  Have no idea about grassroots though

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on November 08, 2021, 09:24:00 PM
He's just being his usual "Gah bad soccer good" self.

Feel free to comment on anything I said as opposed to this shit attempt to bully.

Eire90

lots of players giving cushy jobs or push up the ladder because they play gaa expecially county players you could say its indirectly professional how many intercounty players are unemployed  how many club players are unemployed.

rosnarun

nobody  farts without Gas money in soccer
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

thewobbler

Quote from: Eire90 on November 11, 2021, 06:00:33 AM
lots of players giving cushy jobs or push up the ladder because they play gaa expecially county players you could say its indirectly professional how many intercounty players are unemployed  how many club players are unemployed.
You could also acknowledge that men who are disciplined and focused enough to excel in a sport might just have enough focus and discipline to have a career too.

Bord na Mona man

There are two differences. One. Many multiples of soccer clubs than GAA ones. They need to share facilities or even merge. Two. The GAA got 100% of all sports grants until about 20 years ago.
Do you have any source for this?
So you're essentially saying that the sports funding that came out of the National Lottery, which was set up in 1987, all went to the GAA until about 2001?

Rossfan

Usual oul soccer sh1te from that lad.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 11, 2021, 03:50:23 PM
There are two differences. One. Many multiples of soccer clubs than GAA ones. They need to share facilities or even merge. Two. The GAA got 100% of all sports grants until about 20 years ago.
So you're essentially saying that the sports funding that came out of the National Lottery, which was set up in 1987, all went to the GAA until about 2001?

No. I am talking about capital grants. Lotto was a whole other thing. Bertie broke that cartel up.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 12, 2021, 12:29:18 PM

No. I am talking about capital grants. Lotto was a whole other thing. Bertie broke that cartel up.

Are there any stats to back this up?
I don't remember any past era where GAA greatly benefitting moreso than other field sports organisations.

seafoid

GAA vs soccer/football in Ireland tends to be a class thing. I think that might influence infrastructural differences. 

Rossfan

How much money is spent annually paying soccer players in the 26 Counties?
It would build an awful lot of facilities!

thewobbler

Quote from: seafoid on November 15, 2021, 02:03:55 PM
GAA vs soccer/football in Ireland tends to be a class thing. I think that might influence infrastructural differences.

A class thing?

Rossfan

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 15, 2021, 01:29:13 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 12, 2021, 12:29:18 PM

Are there any stats to back this up?
I don't remember any past era where GAA greatly benefitting moreso than other field sports organisations.

They do in the current era...

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on November 15, 2021, 02:50:43 PM
How much money is spent annually paying soccer players in the 26 Counties?
It would build an awful lot of facilities!

So could the €8m payments gaelic games players get directly from the taxpayer per year. What could that do for the county grounds that aren't fit for purpose

There is a wonderful whataboutery argument to be had here