Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No hoper

Quote from: T O Hare on December 16, 2010, 06:46:35 PM
What happens a club that plays under 16's at under 20 level ?????

Well we had a few under 16s training at the start and were then told they could not play

dundrumite

EagleLord

I think that rule is just plain silly. I would say that there are very very few cases of this, that a 15yr old would be good enough to play in a team of 20yr olds anyway. But do yous not think its a bit sad a bunch of 20yr old lads complaining about how a 15yr old beat them? Its not as if hes a 25yr old playing at u20 level, which would obviously be unfair. I dont see it as an advantage to be honest. If a lad is good enough, he should play.

dundrumite

Quote from: EagleLord on December 17, 2010, 05:31:17 PM
I think that rule is just plain silly. I would say that there are very very few cases of this, that a 15yr old would be good enough to play in a team of 20yr olds anyway. But do yous not think its a bit sad a bunch of 20yr old lads complaining about how a 15yr old beat them? Its not as if hes a 25yr old playing at u20 level, which would obviously be unfair. I dont see it as an advantage to be honest. If a lad is good enough, he should play.

I see Swallinbar are lodging a protest against Corduff in Ulster Junior final for doing exactly the same thing.

supersub

Quote from: EagleLord on December 17, 2010, 05:31:17 PM

I agree but regardless of whether it is right or not it is still a rule which was broken!

No hoper

I would love to no why the under 20 competition starts in november and not earlier in the year when the weather is beter and more pitches available

thewobbler

QuoteI would love to no why the under 20 competition starts in november and not earlier in the year when the weather is beter and more pitches available
No hoper, surely you can work that one out without havoing to be told.

I'm a bit torn on this under-21 / under 16 rule. I'd figure that most of our senior team during the nineties and early noughties began playing senior football as under-16s. So playing restricted age football should be within the grasp of all the bigger under-16s.

But I'd also have the feeling that if a club can't field an under-21 side without having to dip into their under-16 ranks, then they shouldn't be entering the tournament at all. It's not really fair to rely on children against grown men.

T O Hare

Quote from: thewobbler on December 18, 2010, 08:05:42 PM
QuoteI would love to no why the under 20 competition starts in november and not earlier in the year when the weather is beter and more pitches available
No hoper, surely you can work that one out without havoing to be told.

I'm a bit torn on this under-21 / under 16 rule. I'd figure that most of our senior team during the nineties and early noughties began playing senior football as under-16s. So playing restricted age football should be within the grasp of all the bigger under-16s.

But I'd also have the feeling that if a club can't field an under-21 side without having to dip into their under-16 ranks, then they shouldn't be entering the tournament at all. It's not really fair to rely on children against grown men.

Nothing will happen then anyway!! They had a few good administers who can talk them out of a hole :o
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

redandblackareback

PJ MC GEE new saval manager? Can anyone confirm ??

Banana Man

Quote from: redandblackareback on December 21, 2010, 09:42:50 AM

Declan Morgan left them has he?

EagleLord

Quote from: redandblackareback on December 21, 2010, 09:42:50 AM
Yes he is, good enough appointment I reckon, experienced man.

redandblackareback

Yes, heard Declan Morgan is now a selector in the Pete Mc Grath Minor Management team for 2011.

PJ Mc Gee is an excellent appointment for saval, not sure if he has the resources to challenge at the top but certainly will keep them in Division 1.

Any other news on the managerial front, its been pretty quiet this year??

T O Hare

I heard Jonny McCumiskey is taking over Kilcoo!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

alba2

Thoughts about the panel for the year ahead...

D Alder     - great keeper but needs a chance. 2005 u21 keeeper and had great season bar the all ireland final
G McArdle  - tried and tested - not good enuf
D Gordon - has it all - just hope his head is in it from the start of the year
A Brannigan - not good enough. How many chances is he gonna have
D Rooney  - bit erratic - good passer of the ball though.  Will he stay in the team all yr tho?? i doubt it
A Carr  - Didnt get a look in last year. has a serious attitude problem when playin club footy - must have this at county too
P Fitzpatrick - a class act. showed against the big guns last year he can cut it at the top level
K King - a revelation last year and would have got all star had down won the all ireland
L Doyle - a class act - but has injuries finished him to being a bit part player?
M Poland - a true footballer and a real leader on and off the pitch
B Coulter - been there done that - still needs the medals at this level to retire in style though
P Devlin - good player - but a far cry from the underage talent he was.
J Clarke - not good enough for this level - all ireland series showed that this year
M Clarke - has it all - but head needs to be right from the start of the season
C Murdock - good keeper and had reasonable year with club. Should do well
K Anderson - transfer caused a bit of havoc for him this year - should c the real kevin this season
J Colgan - has all the talent in the world - but i know that - you know that - only prob is James also knows that - big headed
B McArdle - not good enough for this level - was found wanting at various stages throughout the season
C Laverty - too small - too light - too greedy - why did he get on in the final??????
R Sexton - at 29/30 has seen his best play behind him - needs to move on
C Maginn - class player and one for this season to establish himself
R Murtagh - done well in games when introduced this year - bit part player at best
M McCartan - didn shine in club games this year - why is he in panel
C Poland - didnt shine for his club either and another player in the colgan mould.  Will never be a Mark...
P McPolin - A great player but has a serious amount of bulking up to do for this level of football. def worth his place
D Sheerin - are you serious... Why oh why is he there.. seen him getting cleaned in division 3 this year at times and          the championship. also has been tried and tested and failed the test miserably.

players missing form panel:

Eamon Toner - Burren - has it all and has the class to be a county footballer for many years
Seamus Grant - Bridge - tight man marker and hasnt got a look in yet for some reason
Ryan Brady - Bridge - great finisher and talented player
Jason Brown - Clonduff - very talented and needds to step

dodgy umpire

Quote from: alba2 on December 21, 2010, 05:57:02 PM
Thoughts about the panel for the year ahead...

D Alder     - great keeper but needs a chance. 2005 u21 keeeper and had great season bar the all ireland final
G McArdle  - tried and tested - not good enuf
D Gordon - has it all - just hope his head is in it from the start of the year
A Brannigan - not good enough. How many chances is he gonna have
D Rooney  - bit erratic - good passer of the ball though.  Will he stay in the team all yr tho?? i doubt it
A Carr  - Didnt get a look in last year. has a serious attitude problem when playin club footy - must have this at county too
P Fitzpatrick - a class act. showed against the big guns last year he can cut it at the top level
K King - a revelation last year and would have got all star had down won the all ireland
L Doyle - a class act - but has injuries finished him to being a bit part player?
M Poland - a true footballer and a real leader on and off the pitch
B Coulter - been there done that - still needs the medals at this level to retire in style though
P Devlin - good player - but a far cry from the underage talent he was.
J Clarke - not good enough for this level - all ireland series showed that this year
M Clarke - has it all - but head needs to be right from the start of the season
C Murdock - good keeper and had reasonable year with club. Should do well
K Anderson - transfer caused a bit of havoc for him this year - should c the real kevin this season
J Colgan - has all the talent in the world - but i know that - you know that - only prob is James also knows that - big headed
B McArdle - not good enough for this level - was found wanting at various stages throughout the season
C Laverty - too small - too light - too greedy - why did he get on in the final??????
R Sexton - at 29/30 has seen his best play behind him - needs to move on
C Maginn - class player and one for this season to establish himself
R Murtagh - done well in games when introduced this year - bit part player at best
M McCartan - didn shine in club games this year - why is he in panel
C Poland - didnt shine for his club either and another player in the colgan mould.  Will never be a Mark...
P McPolin - A great player but has a serious amount of bulking up to do for this level of football. def worth his place
D Sheerin - are you serious... Why oh why is he there.. seen him getting cleaned in division 3 this year at times and          the championship. also has been tried and tested and failed the test miserably.

players missing form panel:

Eamon Toner - Burren - has it all and has the class to be a county footballer for many years
Seamus Grant - Bridge - tight man marker and hasnt got a look in yet for some reason
Ryan Brady - Bridge - great finisher and talented player
Jason Brown - Clonduff - very talented and needds to step

Were it not for Aidan we probably wouldn't have made it past Offaly
The Boys in Red and Black are back