Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lfdown2

thought p murphy was a very lucky man last night, granted it wasnt intentional, he is in no way a dirty player, and ye could see he was very sorry but it was an awful challenge!!!!!!(otherwise thought the ref was very good!)

good win for the harps, liatroim again letting the game away from them before they decide to play any, 1st goal was a joke, side line ball bout 30yrds out bounced in the square into the roof of the net no one taking charge in there second wasnt much better defence let ballyholland walk through them in the 1st half and roney esp was unstoppable, think the defence tighting up and working hard n the second half had a lot to do with liatroim getting back in to it, though just wasn't enough!

would look at it as one that got away and its 2 pts that come the end of the season we would have been glad off to stay clear of relegation. though dosnt work out that way..

first time iv been up at ballyholland too, good set up and a quare stand fair play..

amallon

Interesting point GoldenYears about the difference between Div2 and Div1.   I would class the Ford as a proper Division 1 team and should never have let themselves get relegated last year.  Anyway they seem to be dishing out a good few hidings in Div2, I'm missing one of their results below but you get the idea.  Attical and the Shamrocks would have been two of the stronger teams I'd have thought and they were beaten fairly well.

Bryansford 1.17 Darragh Cross 0.05
Shamrocks 2 02 Bryansford 0 14
Bryansford 0 17 Attical 2 05

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

buglebhoy

Good win for the harps last night, got off to a really good start with 2 goals in first 10-15 mins!! Liam Doyle was a handful as was murtagh.

Murph prob should have got the line but clearly didnt mean it. 2 foot challenge on a boy going down to pick the ball up, the sort of tackle that would have been talked about for half hour on motd.

Harps held on from serious pressure and won ugly in the end!! 2 points is 2 points!!

ExiledGael

Quote from: buglebhoy on May 09, 2008, 03:54:20 PM
Good win for the harps last night, got off to a really good start with 2 goals in first 10-15 mins!! Liam Doyle was a handful as was murtagh.

Murph prob should have got the line but clearly didnt mean it. 2 foot challenge on a boy going down to pick the ball up, the sort of tackle that would have been talked about for half hour on motd.

Harps held on from serious pressure and won ugly in the end!! 2 points is 2 points!!

Obviously didn't see the challenge last night, but every game I've attended this year I have seen really dangerous examples of players going in with the boot on others trying to pick the ball up legally. Refs seem to take very little action and it won't be long before someone gets seriously injured by this cowardly type of play, broken hand etc. Needs to be stamped out and refs to favour the player trying to pick the ball up.

goldenyears

ref was a fella called n.cousins (is it neil?) - i think he is from the mournes. I thought he gave Liatroim alot of handy frees and seemed to want to bring them back into the game. in saying that i enjoyed the fact that you could talk to him and he would converse explaining decisions etc, makes for a much better ref in my book.

bad tackle from murf alright; made a lunge with his foot and it was a good job the lad jumped up out of the way; looked worse than it was but could have been v bad. rony & doyler were the pick of the bunch on show. liatroim could struggle without doyle as i didnt see v many match winners otherwise; and i think the whole "lets be physical and get stuck in" only brings you so far

lfdown2, did you get in for tea & sandwiches? the harps have been doing it for 4 or 5 yrs now but it seems our brethren in other div1 clubs dont do it anymore?? v little hospitality on show! and yes we're v proud of the stand! ;)

amallon

Is there a story behind the stand in Ballyholland?  Was it bought from a soccer club in England or something?

goldenyears

thats right amallon - we have an ex player who does the whole salvage business thing, spotted an opportunity to buy the stand on the cheap - the cmte bought it about 7/8 yrs ago and it lay in a heap behind the bank for years!

then we had an injection of new blood in the cmte and they decided to give it a rattle. it was almost sold to killeavy i believe, but glad they persevered. it really looks the part and was funded privately thru club members & sponsors. almost next to nothing i hear from GAA or grants.....joke really when you see sacair clubs (and other sports) getting facilities paid for everywhere!! >:(

5 Sams

Quote from: amallon on May 09, 2008, 04:20:12 PM
Is there a story behind the stand in Ballyholland?  Was it bought from a soccer club in England or something?

One of our members was in England and saw that a soccer club in Runcorn were taking the stand down. He phoned our chairman at the time to see if we wanted to buy it...the decision was made to buy it and it was shipped home there and then. That was the cheap part however........we decided to put it up last year and a couple of the club members in the building trade took the bull by the horns and drove the project forward. It has cost the club an absolute fortune to put up. There was a serious amount of concrete involved and the seats were bought brand new. It is now a fairly comfortable 700 seater....big enough for our purposes and it might get us one or two high profile games in the championship.
The Aristocrat Years

T O Hare

Totally agre with you goldenyears.. it seems everyone else can get massive grants except Gaa clubs, every week you look in the paper you see soccer clubs in kilkeel or rathfriland/dromore getting lottery grants!
its a great stand but freezing at times :)
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

5 Sams

Quote from: T O Hare on May 09, 2008, 04:48:28 PM
Totally agre with you goldenyears.. it seems everyone else can get massive grants except Gaa clubs, every week you look in the paper you see soccer clubs in kilkeel or rathfriland/dromore getting lottery grants!
its a great stand but freezing at times :)

It might be cold but at least you wont get wet!!

On the grants front....we'll get 5k Euro from the Ulster Council after I dont know....you hear about all the money being made at Croke Park being invested in the grass roots...what I want to know is where do you apply??? Anyone any ideas???
The Aristocrat Years

amallon

Good work to all involved.  I'm looking forward to getting to Ballyholland.  A roof, seats, tea, sandwiches and two points what more could we ask for!

T O Hare

Who needs Croke Park hospitality when you have Ballyholand Harps  :D
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

5 Sams

Quote from: amallon on May 09, 2008, 05:01:43 PM
Good work to all involved.  I'm looking forward to getting to Ballyholland.  A roof, seats, tea, sandwiches and two points what more could we ask for!

Aidan,
You should really work on your spelling....it's two PINTS....there's no "O" in it. ;)
The Aristocrat Years

amallon

Free pints too, thats just too generous!  :D

Anyone hear about this wonder kid Saval have?  Faloon.  He is supposed to have scored a real wonder goal against Longstone.  He's supposed to be the real deal.  Is he that good?

stiff breeze

Quote from: amallon on May 09, 2008, 05:20:46 PM
Free pints too, thats just too generous!  :D

Anyone hear about this wonder kid Saval have?  Faloon.  He is supposed to have scored a real wonder goal against Longstone.  He's supposed to be the real deal.  Is he that good?

Have seen him play underage on a number of occasions , think he is still a minor. He is a very talented footballer no doubt about it. He is in the same cut as hughes was at that age only taller. one of his let downs is that he is very light but he is very quick and therefore gets alot of frees. Has a bit of an attitude but hopoefully as he is with a div1 side that can be stomped out of him. Definately one for the future. from what i ve heard johny hughes and cathal donnelly are playin brilliant stuff this year surely could do with a chance for the county, especially donnelly.