Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duine Inteacht Eile

I'd say there's more to it than that. If they really had the players to be competitive in MacRory they'd surely be doing a lot more damage in the B competitions down through the year groups.
They lifted themselves to win an A hurling last year so it's not as if there is no GAA drive or ambition in the school.

Johnnysboys

Despite the Red High - St Colmans and Abbey are massively underachieving in A grade football. 11 years without winning a title on the field of play and almost 20 years for Abbey.
Every school in every area can't be complaining they are not getting quality players. St Joes and St Marks have won a few lesser titles in recent times - maybe it comes down to coaching?? Do we need more coaching officer roles in the county to visit the schools?? What are St Louis at? Since their school amalgamation they have gone backwards.. Let's hope that doesn't happen in Downpatrick..

ardtole

Quote from: johnnycool on February 12, 2024, 11:05:46 AM
Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on February 12, 2024, 10:25:30 AM
Quote from: downtothecore on February 11, 2024, 04:25:26 PMMc rory is donminated these days by Tyrone and Derry teams. St colmans, Abbey, St Louis and red high downpatrick well of the pace.

Red High very rarely compete in McRory even when they have had teams with several county minors.
They seem to value competing in a B competition more than testing themselves in an A competition.

Maybe with the impending bigger pick as "Lecale" next year they'll do a St Ronans of Lurgan and make bigger in-roads.

I thought the same, but I was talking to someone last weekend and he said that the Castlewellan and Bryansford students who would have formed the backbone of the team most years, are probably more likely to go to St Malachys Castlewellan now.

Sandstorm

There is quite a number going to the green high who would normally have gone to the red high and this may be a factor. Will be interesting to see how the amalgamation works in terms of success on the field.
On another matter, what is the position on tickets for the Antrim game on Sunday given the very low capacity in Corrigan Park?

Truth hurts

Quote from: Johnnysboys on February 12, 2024, 10:40:18 PMDespite the Red High - St Colmans and Abbey are massively underachieving in A grade football. 11 years without winning a title on the field of play and almost 20 years for Abbey.
Every school in every area can't be complaining they are not getting quality players. St Joes and St Marks have won a few lesser titles in recent times - maybe it comes down to coaching?? Do we need more coaching officer roles in the county to visit the schools?? What are St Louis at? Since their school amalgamation they have gone backwards.. Let's hope that doesn't happen in Downpatrick..

Without a doubt, our coaches need to be working with our secondary school football teams.The new school in Downpatrick first on the list.

johnnycool

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 13, 2024, 11:06:52 AM
Quote from: Johnnysboys on February 12, 2024, 10:40:18 PMDespite the Red High - St Colmans and Abbey are massively underachieving in A grade football. 11 years without winning a title on the field of play and almost 20 years for Abbey.

Without a doubt, our coaches need to be working with our secondary school football teams.The new school in Downpatrick first on the list.

It would be interesting to see what our existing GDO's are doing for a start!

Lloyd p

Numbers is a massive factor also.. Heard on gaa social podcast, Omagh CBS manager saying he had 95 boys out at trials at start of the year and the squad was cut down to 39.. Not sure this would be anywhere near the case in the likes of red high.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on February 12, 2024, 10:31:43 PMso it's not as if there is no GAA drive or ambition in the school.

Maybe things have changed, but there wasn't much application when I was going through.

A bit of enthusiasm, but no direction to it. Even back when there was men that clearly could coach, the actual standard of training was abysmal.
i usse an speelchekor

marty34

Quote from: Lloyd p on February 13, 2024, 04:34:50 PMNumbers is a massive factor also.. Heard on gaa social podcast, Omagh CBS manager saying he had 95 boys out at trials at start of the year and the squad was cut down to 39.. Not sure this would be anywhere near the case in the likes of red high.

Maybe a lot of 5th years going for a trial also.  That'd boost the numbers big time.

snoopdog

I see Juveniles need tickets for corrigan pk.

nearlymad

Quote from: snoopdog on February 14, 2024, 12:36:47 PMI see Juveniles need tickets for corrigan pk.
Surely you should know that by now :'( .Do the Juveniles get into your beloved Old Tarfford for free? ;D  ;D

Too many steps

Quote from: nearlymad on February 14, 2024, 01:16:25 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on February 14, 2024, 12:36:47 PMI see Juveniles need tickets for corrigan pk.
Surely you should know that by now :'( .Do the Juveniles get into your beloved Old Tarfford for free? ;D  ;D

Juveniles free into our beloved Pairc Esler for league games this year.

Johnnysboys

Another 6 lads with Sigerson medals tonight. A top class performance by The poly. Two Canavans are top class players.

downtothecore

I noticed Ryan McGill and Eamon Brown on the uu team. Who were the other 4?

ardtole

I saw a picture of Oisin Treacey from Bredagh, no 16, I presume the sub goalkeeper. Eamonn Brown's brother was on the panel too, don't know the other two.