Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Quote from: Johnnysboys on January 02, 2024, 10:57:50 PM[/quote
I see Johnny's lad is getting started early this year. Name a manager that regularly names a correct starting team. I hate the practice but they are all doing it.

Just because they all do it doesn't make it right. Donegal, Derry, Armagh, Tyrone and Cavan all have panels named. Pick any 15 starters from the 24/28 named - it's fairly straight forward. But yet our county PRO team gets an award... go figure..
[/quote]

We will name a team before our opening game on Saturday. Do the most futile things get you angry?

skat man

Quote from: marty34 on January 03, 2024, 08:27:06 AM
Quote from: ck on January 03, 2024, 08:08:50 AM
I see Johnny's lad is getting started early this year. Name a manager that regularly names a correct starting team. I hate the practice but they are all doing it.

Just because they all do it doesn't make it right. Donegal, Derry, Armagh, Tyrone and Cavan all have panels named. Pick any 15 starters from the 24/28 named - it's fairly straight forward. But yet our county PRO team gets an award... go figure..

What exactly is the point of naming incorrect teams? Does it really give the manager an advantage over the opposition? All it seems to do is p*ss everyone off.

No benefit in it at all.  I think mamagement think there is but there isn't.  Happens a lot in championship as if a county is getting 'one over' on the opposition.

Is there not a fine in place for naming dummy teams?
[/quote]

how can you possibly know whether there is benefit in it or not ?

Hard2Listen2

Ffs lads someone just name a team to keep these fellas happy!

Ed Hardy

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on January 03, 2024, 02:39:09 PMFfs lads someone just name a team to keep these fellas happy!

I regret asking the question now lol

supersub

[/quote]

Donegal, Derry, Armagh, Tyrone and Cavan all
played on Wednesday night, Down don't play until Saturday. It's fairly straightforward.  ::)

ardtole

Quote from: supersub on January 04, 2024, 06:06:24 PM

Donegal, Derry, Armagh, Tyrone and Cavan all
played on Wednesday night, Down don't play until Saturday. It's fairly straightforward.  ::)
[/quote]

That would have been my understanding too Supersub.

Truth hurts

Spare a thought for Johnnysboys who is currently refreshing his Twitter feed every few seconds awaiting this Down team for tomorrow ;D

johnnycool

Is wee Conor going for a sweeper Keeper?

Nanderson

https://x.com/OfficialDownGAA/status/1743253202227609695?s=20

Down panel named for McKenna opener. Not as many new faces as I thought there might be

Mourne Red

Quote from: Nanderson on January 05, 2024, 01:36:26 PMhttps://x.com/OfficialDownGAA/status/1743253202227609695?s=20

Down panel named for McKenna opener. Not as many new faces as I thought there might be

Strong enough line up I was thinking too

Walter Cronc

How many of that side started the final against Meath? Laverty must be going all out.

Nanderson

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 05, 2024, 03:46:40 PMHow many of that side started the final against Meath? Laverty must be going all out.

9 of tomorrows starting 15 started the final with another 4 on the bench

Johnnysboys

Great to see the panel named for tomorrow evening. Very strong outfit named and possibly only 5/6 new faces on the panel from last year. Def can't see either of the named keepers lining out tomorrow.
It will also be interesting to see how strong Derry go with Harte a McKenna cup traditionalist who loves winning the competition to set down early season markers.  They are obviously without Glen players but a chance for others to really impress their new manager.

Splash

Good to see John O'Hare named for tomorrow. Well worth giving him a crack in the league this year imo.

Great to see Conor McCrickard in the squad,too.

Couple lads thought would be involved which were not named, but it's very early days yet.

Would be great to get a scalp over Derry tomorrow. Regardless of McKenna Cup or not, beating the Ulster Champions is never a bad thing. Beating Donegal and Monaghan last year set a good standard for the year.