Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 17, 2022, 11:15:27 AM
Quote from: guevara on October 17, 2022, 10:00:57 AM
The Referee was poor for both sides. Made some strange calls but any Kilcoo supporter thinking he favoured The Point are deluded. Ward's Yellow was as clear a red as you will see. Closed fist on McGarry right in front of The Ref. Ryan McEvoy's was again an easy decision. Contact with the head after the ball had gone.

Ruairi McGivern was very lucky to only get a yellow also.

The free at the end for Kilcoo was laughable. Hooked the defenders arm and fell to the ground.

Supporters are all experts from the stand. Sport has always been that way. But by and large all fans want is a referee to get the big decisions correct and use all his fellow officials to help him do that. Yesterday that did not happen.

The referee did well and let the game flow. So much has been said recently about respecting the ref yet yesterday a Kilcoo player and secretary ran to the ref at the end of the game after winning a county title with number 15 getting shown a red card.
Then a Kilcoo executive member made personal attacks on social media towards him, That's not in the spirit of the game.  I for one do not like the way we are going down the line of bullying and trying to influence refs. Without them, there are no games.
The ref  done well and we need to respect this.

I thought he let things go yesterday but he didn't let one team away more than others. Both teams had incidents where another ref might have produced reds but he kept them on the pitch. Darren is one of the better refs and Kilcoo should have accepted they won and had a look at what they did wrong on the day instead of abusing the ref.

Good luck to them in the Ulster championship.

terrifictommy

Another way of looking at the appointment question, who else has enough experience and ability for that game. The best won't take it because of the team involved. After that there isn't enough experience at that level for that game.
The b-line made for ref at the end is not acceptable for either a player or committee member/ex-referee!

Truth hurts

Quote from: terrifictommy on October 17, 2022, 03:56:09 PM
Another way of looking at the appointment question, who else has enough experience and ability for that game. The best won't take it because of the team involved. After that there isn't enough experience at that level for that game.
The b-line made for ref at the end is not acceptable for either a player or committee member/ex-referee!

That's a few times now that the ref has been verbally abused after a championship game by the.
I really admire their achievements but some of the antics by their committee members and a few players and supporters always tarnish the good.

I expect Larry McCarthy to have new rules for abuse of refs for next congress and I would say it's a massive problem in the country. Refs are becoming as rarer as hen's teeth and clubs need to protect them. If refs do not sway a way of a club then they get abuse. Its disgusting and needs eradicated. The only way to do that is harsher penalties for players and clubs.

Maurice Moss

Think I've just about recovered from last night's celebrations 😊 Well done to our men yesterday. Great win after a fierce challenge by Warrenpoint. We showed great experience and leadership throughout to get over the line with some great performances throughout the team.

Commiserations to Warrenpoint, hard one to take but they can hold their heads high after that.

20 Down championships now for us and some men with 11 medals in the back pocket. Unreal!!

#UTM

befair

For the winning team to abuse the ref takes it to another level. Thought the ref was fine, maybe missed a foot-block on Jerome Johnson in the 2nd half, but the umpires should have been more alert.
We urgently need a change in culture; if this kind of abuse happens in a showpiece, televised game, imagine what it's like at lower levels. Hate to compare us to rugby, but their discipline really does put us to shame

outinfront

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 17, 2022, 01:14:51 PM
Massive win for Carryduff v Clonduff, I cannot remember them being over strong at this level during underage?

Carryduff have a lot of depth available at this age group if truth be told.  Plus a decent sanction from DX.  I'd say they will fancy themselves for this but Burren will be favourites.

Truth hurts

Quote from: outinfront on October 18, 2022, 09:44:02 AM
Massive win for Carryduff v Clonduff, I cannot remember them being over strong at this level during underage?

Carryduff have a lot of depth available at this age group if truth be told.  Plus a decent sanction from DX.  I'd say they will fancy themselves for this but Burren will be favourites.

why do they take sanctions? Co board should not allow this

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 18, 2022, 11:22:57 AM

Any team can take a certain number of sanctions - how many lads are we talking about? If it's 1 or 2 is it not better than them not playing at all? I've no side in that fight by the way.

mourneman9194

An excellent weekend of football finals we've just had. I thought the quality across the board was very good, and as other posters have highlighted, I expect to see several who featured in the senior final to be in Lavery's panel. Congrats to Kilcoo, Saval, and Teconnaught and best of luck to them for their Ulster campaign. I can't help but feel for Warrenpoint, what a battling performance they put in, some very good individual performances all over the pitch. Thoroughly enjoyed the intermediate final as well on Saturday, wasn't expecting that result and Saval full value for their win. Fantastic goal by McCarthy, completely changed the game. A very good start to Danny Hughes managerial career, promotion with Castlewellan last year and now a championship win with his home club.

Truth hurts

Danny would be a good addition to Conor backroom team but ill say he will want to take Saval back to division one. Saval were always strong in the 80s and they seem to be going in the right direction.

Godsown

Nothing to do with Co Board

Truth hurts

Quote from: Godsown on October 18, 2022, 03:23:35 PM

Nothing to do with Co Board
Its everything to do with them

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: mourneman9194 on October 18, 2022, 01:37:06 PM
An excellent weekend of football finals we've just had. I thought the quality across the board was very good, and as other posters have highlighted, I expect to see several who featured in the senior final to be in Lavery's panel. Congrats to Kilcoo, Saval, and Teconnaught and best of luck to them for their Ulster campaign. I can't help but feel for Warrenpoint, what a battling performance they put in, some very good individual performances all over the pitch. Thoroughly enjoyed the intermediate final as well on Saturday, wasn't expecting that result and Saval full value for their win. Fantastic goal by McCarthy, completely changed the game. A very good start to Danny Hughes managerial career, promotion with Castlewellan last year and now a championship win with his home club.

If im not mistaken this isnt his first rodeo. hes been involved with a few clubs before this has he not?.Shamrocks maybe and another in Armagh.

charlieTully

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on October 18, 2022, 03:54:11 PM
Quote from: mourneman9194 on October 18, 2022, 01:37:06 PM

If im not mistaken this isnt his first rodeo. hes been involved with a few clubs before this has he not?.Shamrocks maybe and another in Armagh.

Carrickcruppin if memory serves correct

Brick Tamlin

Fun fact. Benny and Danny was the management team for Carrick cruppen that year.