Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redandblackareback

Quote from: stiff breeze on August 27, 2022, 10:57:05 AM
Quote from: redandblackareback on August 26, 2022, 06:21:11 PM
So tonight the championship properly starts. Magpies v the yellas. With McConvilles broken jaw in the league meeting a few weeks ago it should add spice.

Other game of any significance is Burren v Bridge, old rivals but they are no longer rivals, Burren are well ahead of them. The dream team club management on paper of Clarke and Poacher has been very underwhelming for the Bridge.

If the big two avoid each other it's the perfect final.

Properly starts you reckon ....
One from two, best game of the weekend last night, Bridge won't get a better chance to beat Burren or Kilcoo this year. Burren showed a mental toughness towards the end, the money they are spending this year in the chase for Frank is crazy.

terrifictommy

Wobbler, progression isn't solely about how far in a Championship campaign you go, there's more to it than that. Stabilise your position in Div 1, create a stable underage program with facilities to bring the next generation through, improve the players you have in the senior squad, add depth to the squad. Getting knocked out by the winners isn't an achievement or barometer in my opinion   

Too many steps

Quote from: African Sunset on August 29, 2022, 11:00:44 PM
Decent enough game in the marshes this evening. You can't help but wonder if the Bridge lost because all their players were cramping up in extra time when none of the Burren lads appeared to be suffering. Bridge lads aren't being trained appropriately, perhaps?

Burren a young team too - that might have been a factor - think there were 5 or 6 u20s on Burren starting team.

Bridge should have won it in normal time though.

meatsy86

Anyone know how relegation from the championships works this year and who replaces relegated teams? Is qualification based on League finish 2022? Example Rostrevor got relegated from Senior Championship last year is their only route to next years Senior Championship by Winning Intermediate or re they in based on finishing inside top 16 teams via league. An Riocht won Inter last year but have been relegated to Div 3. Are they still in next years Senior Championship unless they get relegated from that Championship?

stiff breeze

The only way to be promoted to a championship above your current grade is to win your current grade . The only way to get relegated is to lose in the relegation playoffs in each championship grade . League positions are irrelevant as far as I'm aware

upandwin

Bridge don't have the stones to beat Burren simple as that. Should've could've would've the last few years and fall short when it matters. Even if they snuck a win last night Burren would hammer them when it matters. It's between Burren and Kilcoo, the rest are a sideshow. Point have far too many men missing, I hardly knew any of their players on Sunday and Kilcoo look as hungry as ever. Clonduff are a spent force and Carryduff are nowhere near Burren. Burren still win the lot for me, clean sweep pending

Johnnysboys

[/quote]
One from two, best game of the weekend last night, Bridge won't get a better chance to beat Burren or Kilcoo this year. Burren showed a mental toughness towards the end, the money they are spending this year in the chase for Frank is crazy.
[/quote]

It's utter madness the money being spent by them. Their management team alone would cost a packet before you consider big McGuinness taking sessions. But they have the backers with deep pockets!!

thewobbler

Quote from: terrifictommy on August 30, 2022, 11:24:26 AM
Wobbler, progression isn't solely about how far in a Championship campaign you go, there's more to it than that. Stabilise your position in Div 1, create a stable underage program with facilities to bring the next generation through, improve the players you have in the senior squad, add depth to the squad. Getting knocked out by the winners isn't an achievement or barometer in my opinion

Have they not done all that too?

terrifictommy

I think they have certainly made big strides in these regards yes, that just solidifies my argument though. Progression is more than Champiosnhip games. Your view point regarded success as their senior teams Championship prospects, unless I got that wrong.

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: stiff breeze on August 30, 2022, 03:48:05 PM
The only way to be promoted to a championship above your current grade is to win your current grade . The only way to get relegated is to lose in the relegation playoffs in each championship grade . League positions are irrelevant as far as I'm aware

Will they not revert back to pre 2021?

Ie. Top 15 in the league + intermediate champs?

They only changed to due to no relegation in covid seasons?

KeyboardWman

I like the way it is. More games to watch and a good edge to them in the relegation side of things. Although could be very flawed if an riocht were to stay in senior championship and play in div 3 next year.

Burren will be very happy with their game and win on Monday night. Good touch game which will stand to them and surely only the start for them to go all the way to county final and beyond. They could go the whole way and take kilcoos crown I reckon.

TakeTheMark

Quote from: KeyboardWman on August 31, 2022, 09:48:49 PM
I like the way it is. More games to watch and a good edge to them in the relegation side of things. Although could be very flawed if an riocht were to stay in senior championship and play in div 3 next year.

Yes I agree, and in reality it is in line with other counties who have been working this system for years.

Although I get the An Riocht point, because on the flip side Longstone are almost certainly going to be in the relegation playoffs and Bredagh have a tough game too that could see them fall into the playoffs, as well as one of Clonduff/Bryansford. So we could have a div 3 playing senior and a div 1 playing intermediate if the stars align

PTC

Burren will be very happy with their game and win on Monday night. Good touch game which will stand to them and surely only the start for them to go all the way to county final and beyond. They could go the whole way and take kilcoos crown I reckon.
[/quote]

With Jim mcguiness on board anything is possible

rosskarr

Hearing that a few previous panellists will not make themselves available to CL if asked.

DuffGael

Players need to realise they play for the county, it shouldn't matter who the manager is. We can't have this perpetual cycle of different players opting out because of the manager. I played under plenty of guys I didn't get on with or thought they were awful but they never stopped me playing