Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Quote from: manwithnoplan on August 29, 2022, 09:32:08 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on August 29, 2022, 09:13:13 AM
Quote from: Johnnysboys on August 28, 2022, 09:34:54 PM
Clonduff have a huge population and lots of underage players who attend real football schools in St Colmans, Abbey and St Malachys Castlewellan. It beggars belief that they can't win underage titles and bring through players to compete at senior level every year. Maybe they are employing the same underage tactic as ourselves - let the teams field but winning is not the most important element of it all - maintaining players to senior level is.. it has worked for us thus far with nearly 50 players at senior level training for firsts and seconds. Winning a senior league last year was massive for us in order to keep players playing. A nice win this evening too - let's hope that keeps going.

Real football schools? The Abbey hasn't won a major since 2006 and St Malachys? The Shimna are pushing GAA more.

So the Points tactic is just field at underage and plays C football but as long as the children play? That sounds like excellent coaching and will be good in the long run LOL

Warrenpoint shouldnt be playing C football BTW

Retaining player's interest in playing football up to adult level is the most difficult aspect of youth coaching, and the fact you are dismissive of it says a great deal about your knowledge of the game. Winning at all costs at underage is not how young players develop in either ability or attitude, participation and a positive environment are far more important.

I wasn't dismissive of it but if you want to win at the senior level then a strong underage system is needed. A winning mentality at underage gives you an edge at the senior level. It's just a fact of life. Kilcoos recent success was from hard work and from winning underage championships.

charlieTully

Warrenpoint should definitely be not playing c football at underage. Entering teams in a 13 a side competition. Shouldn't be allowed for div 1 clubs.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: charlieTully on August 29, 2022, 09:57:59 AM
Warrenpoint should definitely be not playing c football at underage. Entering teams in a 13 a side competition. Shouldn't be allowed for div 1 clubs.

I'd agree with that in principle but what do they do if they don't have the players to compete at the top level. You can't expect them to get hammered every week either. They shouldn't be in C competitions but maybe that was a one off.

Truth hurts

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on August 29, 2022, 01:05:56 PM

I'd agree with that in principle but what do they do if they don't have the players to compete at the top level. You can't expect them to get hammered every week either. They shouldn't be in C competitions but maybe that was a one off.

The county board shouldn't allow it, but the problem is that coaches are afraid to test themselves versus the best and are happy to collect a tea cup and think they are brilliant. In fairness to Clonduff they always seem to play at the highest level without winning trophys.

One example in Newry Bosco who is in this year's u15 b championship final but 2 years previously  were beaten by Ballyholland in the u13 south Down A final. How can you go from a divisional A final to B football in 2 years?

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Truth hurts on August 29, 2022, 01:38:21 PM

The county board shouldn't allow it, but the problem is that coaches are afraid to test themselves versus the best and are happy to collect a tea cup and think they are brilliant. In fairness to Clonduff they always seem to play at the highest level without winning trophys.

One example in Newry Bosco who is in this year's u15 b championship final but 2 years previously  were beaten by Ballyholland in the u13 south Down A final. How can you go from a divisional A final to B football in 2 years?

Maybe Bosco have lost some of those players during the last 2 years? As many other clubs did during Covid. And sure Bosco seniors are in division 4 next year so make your mind up about how underage teams are placed in their respective competitions.

Having a currently strong senior team is nothing to do with what sort of under 13 team a club has. It has no bearing on how many kids were born in the area 13 years ago.

Truth hurts

Quote from: manwithnoplan on August 29, 2022, 01:51:43 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on August 29, 2022, 01:38:21 PM

Maybe Bosco have lost some of those players during the last 2 years? As many other clubs did during Covid. And sure Bosco seniors are in division 4 next year so make your mind up about how underage teams are placed in their respective competitions.

Having a currently strong senior team is nothing to do with what sort of under 13 team a club has. It has no bearing on how many kids were born in the area 13 years ago.

I never said that.

My point is that there are certain clubs that will try to pull a fly one to win a lower ranked competition just to win a trophy.

terrifictommy

Player development and retention has to be high on coach/club agendas and there are many split views on how that's measured or achieved. Coming3rd in an A league or winning a C league - Which is better, winning breeds winners or playing at highest level.
I'd much rather have a team not winning medals but competing at higher level.

Any reports from games yesterday? 

Burren my guess for tonight.

Truth hurts

Quote from: terrifictommy on August 29, 2022, 03:29:33 PM
Player development and retention has to be high on coach/club agendas and there are many split views on how that's measured or achieved. Coming3rd in an A league or winning a C league - Which is better, winning breeds winners or playing at highest level.
I'd much rather have a team not winning medals but competing at higher level.

Any reports from games yesterday? 

Burren my guess for tonight.

Bryansford was poor enough yesterday but Carryduff is dangerous, a big strong team with Donnelly in midfield. They are dark horses as are Warrenpoint who are coming in under the rador.

Burren are strong favorites tonight and will be interesting to see how they play tonight as all eyes are on them.

terrifictommy

I'd love to say Carryduff or Warrenpoint will give it a good crack but I just don't see it. Unless they get an easier path to the final and avoid the other 2.
Looking forward to seeing Burren tonight but get the feeling a defensive set up will be in effect and ruin the game.

Hard2Listen2

Have Carryduff regressed a bit since they got to the championship final?

They've added Donnelly & they've a couple of younger lads involved but they've had a large turnover of players which has been their thing for many years.
I thought with them mostly being home grown that might change.

terrifictommy

I'm not sure they've regressed, maybe just haven't kicked on as we thought they might.

Johnnysboys

Burren were very lucky tonight. Charlie Smyth kicks the dead ball over in normal time and it was game over. Not too many tasty clashes in the next round of senior and intermediate either..

thewobbler

Quote from: terrifictommy on August 29, 2022, 05:58:55 PM
I'm not sure they've regressed, maybe just haven't kicked on as we thought they might.
They made the SFC final two seasons ago and took the eventual AI champions to extra time in last year's championship. In fact the only team to beat them on championship football the past two seasons is Kilcoo.

What level of kicking on does one need to see?

African Sunset

Decent enough game in the marshes this evening. You can't help but wonder if the Bridge lost because all their players were cramping up in extra time when none of the Burren lads appeared to be suffering. Bridge lads aren't being trained appropriately, perhaps?

Godsown

Quote from: African Sunset on August 29, 2022, 11:00:44 PM
Decent enough game in the marshes this evening. You can't help but wonder if the Bridge lost because all their players were cramping up in extra time when none of the Burren lads appeared to be suffering. Bridge lads aren't being trained appropriately, perhaps?

Bridge manager looks well conditioned and in good nick all the same