Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Quote from: Lloyd p on August 18, 2022, 11:04:23 AM
Mark mccartan said on commentary last night that carryduff could still go down which is why I asked. Must be mistaken then.

On looking at the table my take is that Carryduff can still go down mathematically but the superior score difference makes it highly unlikely, if 3 or more teams finish on level points then it comes to score difference.

toby47

Would Carryduff not have been considered dark horses for a championship this year? Finnian Moriarty in as manager too isn't her?

Truth hurts

Kilcoo 4/6

Burren 4/1

Warrenpoint 9/1

Clonduff 9/1

Carryduff 11/1

Mayobridge 12/1

Ballyholland 14/1

Downpatrick 20/1

Loughinisland 40/1

Glenn 40/1

Longstone 50/1

Bredagh 50/1

Bryansford 66/1

Castlewellan 66/1

An Riocht 66/1

Saul 100/1

odds on PP

upandwin

Someone in PP sniffing glue again. How can Barps be 14/1 and Loughinisland 40/1?

Burren 9/2 is some price. Overheard in Busy Bees today that a prominent Burren Bald figure from Burren saying that team won't be beaten this year. They've already planned a training weekend for the 3rd week of the championship as they are that confident of winning first two rounds. Hope they can do it, great club showing they are leaps and bounds ahead of the rest in terms of talent.

Too many steps

Quote from: stiff breeze on August 18, 2022, 10:59:21 AM
Both teams at it last night . No innocent parties . It's a very toxic atmosphere at them games

Both teams had players who were 'at it' as you say.

But I think it should be said that the young fella who probably had the most reason to go out last night and start a row showed the rest of them how it should be done. Was marking the lad that hit him a few weeks ago and did it hard and fair and just marked him out of the game. No low blows, no dirt, no sledging.

That's how it should be done.

Players need to be reminded that's its football if they want thuggery go take up MMA or something. They're no use to a football team looking on from the sidelines.

Mourne Red

Seen a video of the row.. My thoughts would be Magill didn't hit Jerome hard enough, then the Kilcoo player came in to clean Magill but the Burren man put him on his hole should probably do a bit more S&C.

Ref did right, let them get it over and done with and the deal with the aftermath.

TakeTheMark

Quote from: upandwin on August 18, 2022, 03:27:57 PM
Someone in PP sniffing glue again. How can Barps be 14/1 and Loughinisland 40/1?

I think they are just looking at past championships. Ballyholland have been in the last three semi finals and probably had a factor in that price.

After watching the game last night, I don't think the price of the other 14 teams is going to matter much. It looks like the winner will come from one of them again

redandblackareback

Quote from: redandblackareback on August 08, 2021, 08:39:00 PM
You are right Sheedy, it happens every week, every week in Kilcoo, eye gouging an opponent is up there with spitting, the lowest of the low but is anyone really that surprised with this carry on. The player in question, and his manager and his club have plenty of history and it just seems to happen all too often. Thought it would have taken till at least the club championship for the mask to slip but it only took a week.

Just over a year later and the same boy is at it again, celebrating his eye gouging anniversary. McCusker is a disgrace and it says more about Laverty who had him on a pedestal last year with the U20s. Last night's game was a clear display of downright treachery and trampish behaviour of the highest order. Of course let's not forget our new Messiah stuck in the middle of it all, crying at the referee because he didn't get his own way for a change.

The CB had the perfect opportunity to select an outside man to put all this nonsense to bed, mostly nonsense created by Kilcoo, too late now though, Jack pressed the panic button and got his man. It is time though for our county board to stand up to them for once and throw the book at them.

stiff breeze

Quote from: Too many steps on August 18, 2022, 04:31:55 PM
Quote from: stiff breeze on August 18, 2022, 10:59:21 AM
Both teams at it last night . No innocent parties . It's a very toxic atmosphere at them games

Both teams had players who were 'at it' as you say.

But I think it should be said that the young fella who probably had the most reason to go out last night and start a row showed the rest of them how it should be done. Was marking the lad that hit him a few weeks ago and did it hard and fair and just marked him out of the game. No low blows, no dirt, no sledging.

That's how it should be done.

Players need to be reminded that's its football if they want thuggery go take up MMA or something. They're no use to a football team looking on from the sidelines.

Agree totally , this pushing and shoving nonsense off the ball and the verbals is just embarrassing to watch. From the throw up Burren tried to get a reaction last night and they got it and then stood up to it . They won the battle , wars just starting though . Burren men behind me shouting at a kilcoo lad on the ground that they hoped his leg was broke . Not much class about either club

johnnycool

It's bad when the Tipp lads on Premierview have a clip up.  ;D

Wouldn't get that in the hurling lads, can you lot not behave yourselves?  ;D

Truth hurts

The Kilcoo/Burren rivalry the past few years will die out when one becomes less successful. Burren is jealous of the magpie's recent glories and Kilcoo has been living rent-free in their heads for years. Burren like most south Down clubs have a superiority complex and they haven't dominated Down football since the late 80s/early 90s and this is hurting their ego. They have resorted to taking players from other parishes close to them to increase their underage success which has bore them fruit as they can field 2 teams at every age level. On Wednesday they took an aggressive game to Kilcoo and to be fair were physical for them. On the other hand, Kilcoo was missing a few regulars who will be starting v Clonduff. A lot of observers from Wednesday night have been writing obituaries for Kilcoo but I won't be buying a mass card for the pride of East Down yet.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Truth hurts on August 19, 2022, 10:23:53 AM
The Kilcoo/Burren rivalry the past few years will die out when one becomes less successful. Burren is jealous of the magpie's recent glories and Kilcoo has been living rent-free in their heads for years. Burren like most south Down clubs have a superiority complex and they haven't dominated Down football since the late 80s/early 90s and this is hurting their ego. They have resorted to taking players from other parishes close to them to increase their underage success which has bore them fruit as they can field 2 teams at every age level. On Wednesday they took an aggressive game to Kilcoo and to be fair were physical for them. On the other hand, Kilcoo was missing a few regulars who will be starting v Clonduff. A lot of observers from Wednesday night have been writing obituaries for Kilcoo but I won't be buying a mass card for the pride of East Down yet.

Pride of East Down? Behave.

SticksandStones

I have no issue with aggressive football. Aggressive hard hitting football is very exciting and great to watch. But people are going out on pitches week in week out and think that because its on a football pitch that its fine to assault opposition players and if it happened on a Saturday night somewhere they would be thrown into the back of a police car. Is it going to take someone getting seriously brain for this to change? I personally would prefer preventative measures rather than a reaction to something that has been boiling for years

thewobbler

Until:

a) the rule book is tightened up, to define melees and people's role within.

b) sanctions for striking are increased.

c) the appeals process is tightened up to prevent the use of technicalities, and that a hearing will never be heard for a match/multiple match suspension unless video evidence is provided along with the initial response.

Then melee culture will continue to reign. It allows for hiding in plain sight and is by far the safest strategy (in terms of sanctions) if intent on inflicting physical damage to opponents.

——-

If the rule book doesn't change the only other nuclear option is to request referees to abandon any game immediately when a melee begins.

But you know who suffers the most from that? The referees who get chased to their cars, and the administrators who are left with no choice but to hit the clubs involved with a disrepute charge, which will inevitably be drawn out for months.

Truth hurts

Quote from: SticksandStones on August 19, 2022, 11:06:21 AM
I have no issue with aggressive football. Aggressive hard hitting football is very exciting and great to watch. But people are going out on pitches week in week out and think that because its on a football pitch that its fine to assault opposition players and if it happened on a Saturday night somewhere they would be thrown into the back of a police car. Is it going to take someone getting seriously brain for this to change? I personally would prefer preventative measures rather than a reaction to something that has been boiling for years

I heard the CCC are now meeting to discuss the issues due to the publicity and could be issuing bans and fines to prevent in the future.