Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

Some serious hypocrites on this board. The same people critiquing and abusing McCorry & Tally are the ones now thinking and saying maybe they weren't so bad. The grass isn't always greener folks. The unnecessary and ill informed constant bashing of the County Board and everything they do or don't do is also a disgrace. Time people got behind the County, in all facets, instead of just complaining and criticising behind an online pseudonym.

Smurfy123

Blame the paid staff who have access to primary schools and run a very very successful 8 weeks summer camps one of the most successful in Ireland

I know Mark Poland came into my kids school and the children absolutely loved it and are playing off the back of it

I could never understand why these coaches never got access to secondary schools

Sean Og touched on this in his report

How do you expect these paid staff to make Down successful?

Do people forget Tally's last year where we won 1 game and got hammered out the gate by Mayo Meath and Donegal

The buy in to our senior squad is just not appealing anymore and lads would rather play for a club

Lads who could be on County panel but for whatever reason choose not to be
But blame everyone else

J Johnstone
S Johnstone
A Branagan
D branagan
R McAleenan
D McAleenan
S Annett
S Dornan
D o Hare
C Toner
G McGovern
J Guinness
A Davidson
R Magill
R O Hare
C Smyth
M Bagnell
E Branaagan
C Francis
C Harrison
S Harrison
S Loughran
Walshe
D Magill

wobbller

Meanwhile over in Louth who we would traditionally look down our noses at:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2022/0322/1287805-mickey-harte-to-remain-in-louth-hot-seat-until-2025/

Progress on and off the pitch.To do this their Top Table had to first realise they were in dire straits.
Down haven't grasped this yet.

johnnycool

CB are having major issues getting training facilities for the various county teams at this time of year, in fact I was told that the senior footballers don't know from week to week where they'll be training on any given night, begging and borrowing of the various clubs and schools with floodlights.

The senior hurlers go to the Dub for an 8PM session so most of those lads won't be home till 11PM and later.

And you wonder why there's a list the length of your arm of lads that won't/can't commit to that.

James McCartan needs a medal for taking that type of shíte on and trying to do his best with it..

Ballykinlar will have it's faults, but the sooner it's built then the better.

Truth hurts

The coaching staff are virtually PE teachers in primary schools and coaching children who maybe will never play gaa. The county board want them in secondary schools but schools say no. Sean og stated this in his annual report.

The players need to look at themselves, they get given everything and still moan.Is the Holyland crew cut yet?

Smurfy123

The fact we have no centre of excellence is a big problem
Minors training at 8.30 on a Tuesday and Thursday due to pitch availability
Some lads maybe not home until 1130
The players have not been given a great environment but they also need to take responsibility for this year as some lads turning up with drink on them is simply not good enough

The shambles of Newcastle almost 15 years ago has really stalled us as a county
But yes blame the paid staff who coach in primary schools for this mess

Brick Tamlin

Whats the thinking behind these coaches getting access to secondary schools?
Mark Poland going into St Colman's twice a week is going to do what exactly?
Who are we talking about and which schools exactly.
I would thought that most schools are well equipped to coach their own and would have more experienced and competent coaches than what is being sent out by the county board in some cases.
Maybe im wrong.

Truth hurts

Would they not better coaching a school's squad than a p4 class teaching them the fundamentals. Blaming coaches who go to a primary school is clutching and to blame them is to blame every u10 coach in Down. The players are in the county, we have one of the most exciting championships in Ulster, strong club leagues which other counties are envious of.

Ballykinlar will be massive for us and the county executive of the previous ten years was crippled with debt from previous admin including the Newcastle/Tesco fiasco. In support of our county board, they are got our finances into a far better position and they need a lot of plaudits for that in the previous 10 years.

Godsown

Quote from: Smurfy123 on March 23, 2022, 07:43:59 AM
Blame the paid staff who have access to primary schools and run a very very successful 8 weeks summer camps one of the most successful in Ireland

I know Mark Poland came into my kids school and the children absolutely loved it and are playing off the back of it

I could never understand why these coaches never got access to secondary schools

Sean Og touched on this in his report

How do you expect these paid staff to make Down successful?

Do people forget Tally's last year where we won 1 game and got hammered out the gate by Mayo Meath and Donegal

The buy in to our senior squad is just not appealing anymore and lads would rather play for a club

Lads who could be on County panel but for whatever reason choose not to be
But blame everyone else

J Johnstone
S Johnstone
A Branagan
D branagan
R McAleenan
D McAleenan
S Annett
S Dornan
D o Hare
C Toner
G McGovern
J Guinness
A Davidson
R Magill
R O Hare
C Smyth
M Bagnell
E Branaagan
C Francis
C Harrison
S Harrison
S Loughran
Walshe
D Magill

Ffs there's a handful of these guys already on the panel. And playing for Warrenpoint does not automatically make you a suitable candidate for playing Senior inter county football

Truth hurts

I see Jack Devanney is on the load of balls podcast with Fegan and Doran this week. I will look forward to listening to that. Fair play to him for not hiding away.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Johnnysboys on March 22, 2022, 09:03:37 PM
From the 1999 group - how many played at intercounty senior level for a sustained period of time - 8-10 years???
Benny, Murtagh, Sexton, Clarke?? Is that it??

Doyle was there but played a limited amount due to injury.
Grant, Walsh, Kearney were there for a few years only.

So out of this Ulster and All Ireland winning group we had 4 players. Is winning a minor Ulster really that important?

I would love the data on all players on development squads - that would make interesting reading. The county coaches - not being cheeky here - but what do they actually do? Surely this job should be for current players only for a period of 5 years to allow them the time to do the necessary training for intercounty senior football?? It might also allow the players time to retrain in a different career and hand the baton over to a current player who needs work - and the cycle continues...

The minor title in 1966 sent through 7 lads to win an all Ireland in 1968 and only for an injury to Dalsey Mooney it would have been 8.

Brick Tamlin

No point comparing situation with what happened in early 00s never mind the 60s. Dalsey Mooney!.Jesus wept.
Is it really that unfathomable for some to believe that times are different now, society has changed, priorities have changed and with it the thought process, lifestyle choices and decision making of young footballers has too. 

Anyone banging on about proud tradition, history, Down Way, pride in pulling on the jersey etc is simply living on another planet. Its a selfish game played by selfish people and nobody but nobody will give to the cause unless they are guaranteed to get something in return. Why would i, as a 24yr old sacrifice my best years and a social life with travel etc to go and play for Down?  Add in the fact that the game itself has evolved into a bastardised version of basketball, where creativity and expression of talent is stifled in favour of athleticism and system and where finances mean only the most affluent teams thrive.

The input and commitment required to play representative football nowadays just doesnt equal the output, especially in Down. There is no carrot in being selected to play for Down. Ive seen more jerseys handed out like confetti this last 10years than i care to remember and more questionable appointments and decisions made by decision-makers on an annual basis. If the decision makers cant see where they've gone wrong in their managerial appointment process in last 10 years then what little hope of progress is there. The managerial appointment process has been nothing short of shambolic. And i dont see it changing any time soon.

Im gonna agree with Ballyholland's finest when he said the crux of the problem or greatest challenge remains the clubs and local schools disconnect. Our schools dont compete regularly enough at the business end. Some schools do nothing and fall down badly. St Marks HS in Warrenpoint is an obvious example but i suppose historically Clonduff, Warrenpoint, Burren, Rostrevor and Mayobridge were sending a better calbre of footballer than what leaves P7 now to go to school there.

Theres about 10years of work needed to try and get the county teams back on track but it starts with clubs and primary schools.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on March 23, 2022, 12:40:19 PM
No point comparing situation with what happened in early 00s never mind the 60s. Dalsey Mooney!.Jesus wept.
Is it really that unfathomable for some to believe that times are different now, society has changed, priorities have changed and with it the thought process, lifestyle choices and decision making of young footballers has too. 

Anyone banging on about proud tradition, history, Down Way, pride in pulling on the jersey etc is simply living on another planet. Its a selfish game played by selfish people and nobody but nobody will give to the cause unless they are guaranteed to get something in return. Why would i, as a 24yr old sacrifice my best years and a social life with travel etc to go and play for Down?  Add in the fact that the game itself has evolved into a bastardised version of basketball, where creativity and expression of talent is stifled in favour of athleticism and system and where finances mean only the most affluent teams thrive.

The input and commitment required to play representative football nowadays just doesnt equal the output, especially in Down. There is no carrot in being selected to play for Down. Ive seen more jerseys handed out like confetti this last 10years than i care to remember and more questionable appointments and decisions made by decision-makers on an annual basis. If the decision makers cant see where they've gone wrong in their managerial appointment process in last 10 years then what little hope of progress is there. The managerial appointment process has been nothing short of shambolic. And i dont see it changing any time soon.

Im gonna agree with Ballyholland's finest when he said the crux of the problem or greatest challenge remains the clubs and local schools disconnect. Our schools dont compete regularly enough at the business end. Some schools do nothing and fall down badly. St Marks HS in Warrenpoint is an obvious example but i suppose historically Clonduff, Warrenpoint, Burren, Rostrevor and Mayobridge were sending a better calbre of footballer than what leaves P7 now to go to school there.

Theres about 10years of work needed to try and get the county teams back on track but it starts with clubs and primary schools.

ffs the clubs that supply st Marks are always winning or competing well in our underage championships. You only have to look at results. ST Marks are still getting good footballers to their school in plentiful.

How would you change the mangerial appointment??

redandblackareback

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 23, 2022, 11:12:23 AM
I see Jack Devanney is on the load of balls podcast with Fegan and Doran this week. I will look forward to listening to that. Fair play to him for not hiding away.

Fair play to Jack Devanney? Let's have three cheers for Devanney , O Tool and McAteer while we are at it.

The mess this county is in has a lot to do with an inept county board who have operated for years and years in sneaky deals on the sly, even the word coming from some of the selection panel for the new manager were severely critical of McAteers influence and role in doing all he could to deny Laverty a go at it.

O Toole in his highly paid role has now had 15 years to make an impact, what is his legacy in these 15 years?

As for Devanney, I said here long ago it would end up a Queens mafia gig and now the word on the street is Karl Oaks is our new saviour, lining him up for a operations manager role, the good old Queens alumni comes to the rescue again.

We are a disgrace and until the county board is rid of these cowboys you can forget about clubs and schools. Like a piece of fruit that is rotten to the core, rotting everything it touches.

McCartan and AOR throughout all of this also getting a free ride they ain't exempt either, he won one game in five years at minor level alongside the likes of Ambrose, Poland, Poacher, Sean O Hare his Daniel, how was he allowed to continue? Also allowing the carry on that has been going on in the panel, how 5 lads can show up drunk to training is surely the final straw for the Queen's mafia.

mourneman9194

Quote from: redandblackareback on March 23, 2022, 01:37:54 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on March 23, 2022, 11:12:23 AM

Fair play to Jack Devanney? Let's have three cheers for Devanney , O Tool and McAteer while we are at it.

The mess this county is in has a lot to do with an inept county board who have operated for years and years in sneaky deals on the sly, even the word coming from some of the selection panel for the new manager were severely critical of McAteers influence and role in doing all he could to deny Laverty a go at it.

O Toole in his highly paid role has now had 15 years to make an impact, what is his legacy in these 15 years?

As for Devanney, I said here long ago it would end up a Queens mafia gig and now the word on the street is Karl Oaks is our new saviour, lining him up for a operations manager role, the good old Queens alumni comes to the rescue again.

We are a disgrace and until the county board is rid of these cowboys you can forget about clubs and schools. Like a piece of fruit that is rotten to the core, rotting everything it touches.

McCartan and AOR throughout all of this also getting a free ride they ain't exempt either, he won one game in five years at minor level alongside the likes of Ambrose, Poland, Poacher, Sean O Hare his Daniel, how was he allowed to continue? Also allowing the carry on that has been going on in the panel, how 5 lads can show up drunk to training is surely the final straw for the Queen's mafia.

Who are the 5 lads in this case? Management aside, this also highlights how there is no leadership from senior players on the squad to address this, and that standards have fallen so low that they can get away with this. Senior players in this case should be able to take responsibility and chase these fellas if this is true. But there in lies the problem, have we even got senior leadership in the squad who would command such respect to do this? Darren o Hagan comes to mind but after that I'm struggling. Who is captain this year?