Burren 7
Downpatrick 5
Ballyholland 4

Mayobridge 4
Castlewellan 1
CPN 7
Carryduff 8

Last chance for some big teams in the losers
It would be catastrophic if we went out but just can't see it. We are hurting as a club after last weeks defeat. Our players are made of the right stuff and the success of recent years will stand by us.

Truth hurts

I am going to repost a gaelic life article from Joe Brolly last year, granted he is a hypocrite but we all need to be careful when spreading news. There should be nothing more mentioned on this matter.

THE Reverend Travis Clarke, Catholic parish priest of the Pearl Saint Peter & Saint Paul dicoese in Louisiana, was arrested last week on obsenity charges.

Bored by lockdown, his empty schedule allowing his head to be filled with unclean temptation, the poor man finally succumbed and as you do, organised an orgy on the church altar with his two communion servers. I have to say I've never been a fan of orgies. One never knows who to thank at the end of the night.

On Wednesday past, three days after his arrest, the Archbishop of New Orleans travelled to the church with his resident exorcist (I kid you not) and they performed a lengthy ritual (behind closed doors) that was said to have "purified God's altar and restored the sanctity of his holy church."

Rev Clarke, who has been summarily suspended, must be sorely regretting videoing the whole thing on his cell-phone, which according to the local police chief he had "set up on a tripod to get the best possible angles, which will be a great help to the prosecution team." As a friend of mine from Dungiven commented, "Let he who has not organised an orgy on the church altar with his communion servers throw the first stone."

People can't sit down to a dinner of chicken and mash these days without taking a picture of it and posting it online with some important message like 'Yummy' or 'So hungry cannot wait to eat this.'

Society has been infected by what I call social media tourettes syndrome (SMTS). The automatic response to any event is to film and publicise it. SMT does not permit the sufferer to decide between what is acceptable, enjoyable, stupid, disloyal, dangerous, a gross breach of privacy or even a criminal act.

Most distressing is the glee with which many people in the GAA community are now happy to spread vile gossip, photographs and videos about other GAA members.

This year, a well-known retired footballer was subjected to a disgraceful attack on social media into his private and family life, which went viral. It was the sort of poisonous campaign that dark US political forces might mount against a candidate for office. Yet GAA people were spreading this stuff, instead of protecting one of our own.

The problem is that people, because of SMT, do not think of the consequences. The trauma to a family. The whispering campaign in a community. The terrible sense of humiliation. It's pathetic, unworthy and has to stop.

Recently, one of the great clubs and communities of Derry has been rocked by anonymous allegations against a large number of families of wife swapping and all sorts. Again, huge hurt has been caused because this stuff has been shared throughout the land by GAA folk who should know better.

Some years ago, one of our elite county footballers, struggling with a pathological gambling addiction, found himself at his lowest ebb and put himself in a dreadfully compromising position. The footage was leaked out and GAA folk gleefully shared it. It was sent to me. I deleted it without watching and rang the sender (a friend) to forcefully tell him never to send me anything like that again.

When I was growing up and going through the ranks of Dungiven and Derry, we never had this problem. The sense of solidarity was very strong. If anyone was in trouble, we were all in trouble.

Problems from family break up to alcoholism, gambling addiction to unemployment were all dealt with within the community. Publically naming and shaming just for the fun of it never happened. Of course, we didn't have camera phones. The only time I ever saw a camera about the club was when The Mid Ulster's Danny 'Click' O'Kane took pictures of the team before the throw-in at a championship match.

Last year, I was being trolled online by someone I didn't know with very vicious personal abuse. Not that it bothers me, but I noticed his profile pic was of a well-known GAA club, so I rang a friend of mine who owns a pub in that town.

He said "I know his father well. I am surprised at the young fella, I wouldn't have thought he was like that." I read out some of the abuse he was subjecting me to over the phone. "Jesus Christ, I'll go over to the house now." And so he did.

About an hour later I got a phone call. It was the lad's father. "I've a boy here has something to say to you Joe." The lad apologised, I accepted and when we talked about it, it was clear that he had genuinely no idea of the sort of impact this sort of thing can have on people.

I think the lesson for us all, is that if you're going to have an orgy on the altar, leave your phone at home.

upandwin

I don't think this week's fixtures will be anywhere near as predictable as people think. No harm Smurfy but you're a clown, 'success' over the last few years is absolute shite. Our club hasn't done anything to warrant a seat at the top table. There is Kilcoo, then Burren and then the rest of us all. At least Burren can say they won it in 2018. There are 4/5 good footballing sides in the reckoning but a big gulf in class from Magpies to the rest of us all IMO.

I think unless there are a few bodies back for W'Point we will struggle massively Sunday. Yes, a reaction would be fantastic and I'd love to see it but I don't think we have the quality at our disposal now to brush aside any team in this championship tbh. I'm going for a draw, with CPN winning in ET but it will be very close.

RGU will destroy the stone I think...they've a great group of players and if they all perform to the expected standard, they'll win by 7 or 8pts. My upset of the round is for the town to beat Rostrevor. The reds are favourites for the game and neither will be within a hound's gowl of counting come business end but It will be a decent game and I fancy CWellan to edge it.

Bridge will win comfortably and I think that result again Kilcoo won't bother them, as they know they can play better and still hung in for 45mins against Kilcoo who were very good IMO.

Going for Clonduff to beat Kilcoo as well in an upset and we'll see W'point v Kilcoo third round probably for a decent gate. Burren with another draw they'll absolutely coast through. Glenn have a lot of good lads but they're miles off where Burren are at this minute in time. Burren forwards will run riot.

Truth hurts

Looking forward to another weekend of great football.
I am really looking forward to Sunday to see how Darragh Cross can cope with the pace of Liatriom and also if Clonduff can continue their league form against the championship favorites.

Targetman

Conor Mc Crickards transfer and Liam Middletons absence will be a big loss to Liatroim, have to fancy Darragh Cross, Kilcoo just to edge their game with Clonduff, but could meet again when its knock out!!

Truth hurts

Quote from: Targetman on September 24, 2021, 01:30:12 PM
Conor Mc Crickards transfer and Liam Middletons absence will be a big loss to Liatroim, have to fancy Darragh Cross, Kilcoo just to edge their game with Clonduff, but could meet again when its knock out!!

Where has he transferred to?

Targetman

A team in Cork (apparently works there)

Nanderson

Anyone know whos bright idea it was to stream a game from probably the biggest network black spot in the county?

charlieTully

Quote from: Nanderson on September 24, 2021, 07:29:14 PM
Anyone know whos bright idea it was to stream a game from probably the biggest network black spot in the county?

18 quid and can't even get on at all. Trying to charge another fiver for by the sound of it no coverage anyway. But sure hi its only a couple a quid, decent spuds trying to provide a service.

ScarvaLegend

Quote from: charlieTully on September 24, 2021, 07:48:17 PM

18 quid and can't even get on at all. Trying to charge another fiver for by the sound of it no coverage anyway. But sure hi its only a couple a quid, decent spuds trying to provide a service.

I've mixed feelings about it to be honest. On one hand, the attempt to widen the coverage of our championship is a fantastic idea, it reaches those that are housebound, abroad or even those from other counties.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem like any network testing was done at Liatroim or Ballymartin prior to the day of the match, going to those grounds on the day and hoping for the best is just lunacy. Then asking people to cough up £5 a head for a sub-par service, then not issuing a credit for a future game or refund when it doesn't work sends the whole lot into farce. Asking people to pay when you've no idea if the service will work doesn't sit right with me

Nanderson

Quote from: ScarvaLegend on September 25, 2021, 08:59:21 AM
Quote from: charlieTully on September 24, 2021, 07:48:17 PM

I've mixed feelings about it to be honest. On one hand, the attempt to widen the coverage of our championship is a fantastic idea, it reaches those that are housebound, abroad or even those from other counties.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem like any network testing was done at Liatroim or Ballymartin prior to the day of the match, going to those grounds on the day and hoping for the best is just lunacy. Then asking people to cough up £5 a head for a sub-par service, then not issuing a credit for a future game or refund when it doesn't work sends the whole lot into farce. Asking people to pay when you've no idea if the service will work doesn't sit right with me
Yea bar those 2 games the coverage has been excellent and its a handy way of taking in more games. But as soon as I heard the game was being streamed in Liatroim i knew it was a recipe for disaster. Although to compensate they sent an email this morning saying that they would film Bredagh Ballyholland game and put it on site on demand which is fair enough and a good gesture

charlieTully

Mourne Red

We just ran out of legs against The Bridge today in Newcastle, don't think the 8 point loss reflected the game. We've a young team and there'll be better days out for us. Burren or Kilcoos too win I think, infighting in Kilcoo might catch them out but they always seem to find a way through Down Championship

Last Caress

Quote from: Mourne Red on September 25, 2021, 10:17:43 PM
We just ran out of legs against The Bridge today in Newcastle, don't think the 8 point loss reflected the game. We've a young team and there'll be better days out for us. Burren or Kilcoos too win I think, infighting in Kilcoo might catch them out but they always seem to find a way through Down Championship
?????🤔

Mourne Red

Quote from: Last Caress on September 26, 2021, 12:10:03 AM
Quote from: Mourne Red on September 25, 2021, 10:17:43 PM
?????🤔

How do all rows start these days, Someone texting another persons other half caused a bit of a row