Previous topic - Next topic

upandwin

Quote from: Smurfy123 on August 25, 2021, 09:00:16 AM
John hasn't played for Newry this year yet. He has been a sub
Not sure if that was the reason
It's not in our own hands to now win it which is the problem
I think management have 1 eye on the championship
I'm sure all the big teams will have now turned attentions to it

Absolute nonsense...W'point wanted to win that league...and may still do tbf. But to say there's one eye on championship is Bull***t no harm...strong team out. Maybe Burren and Kilcoo etc have an eye on championship as they have bigger fish to fry than the league but CPN haven't won silverware worth talking about in decades. Sooner they get their best 15 sorted the better but there's no excuse for a performance like that last night.

thewobbler

Personally, I'd be worried about the mental state of any man who really wants to win D1 this year.

In fact I'd be worried about it most years. League titles don't matter a damn unless there's promotion attached to it. But especially this year, D1 really doesn't matter a damn. It's a high standard of friendly match, nothing else.

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on August 25, 2021, 09:21:44 AM
Personally, I'd be worried about the mental state of any man who really wants to win D1 this year.

In fact I'd be worried about it most years. League titles don't matter a damn unless there's promotion attached to it. But especially this year, D1 really doesn't matter a damn. It's a high standard of friendly match, nothing else.

That's a strange comment, I would think that any team who wins a division one title who be delighted with it.

Will John McGovern be allowed to play for the Harps in the championship?

elk

Quote from: Leftmidfield on August 24, 2021, 09:28:19 PM
CPN missing John Boyle
McMahon not in nets for some reason
Ryan McAleenan is "long term" injury if you want to include him
Apart from that full team imo
If CPN have nothing else to come in besides the above they may forget about the championship after last nights performance. Ballyholland actually played some decent football last night instead of the usual defensive blueprint they stick to and were well worth their win. I agree with other posters CPN would definitely be trying to win the league

Truth hurts

Could the Harps be dark horses for the SFC, they could have made the final last season.

upandwin

Having chatted to people at the game last night I think there was a big stag at the weekend which also wouldn't have helped matters :/

Clonduff had a similar situation last week after a wedding and took a hammering at the hands of Carryduff...Ballyholland looked good last night but I seriously doubt they can win a SFC with that team. Kilcoo will win it at a canter again by the looks of it.

Truth hurts

Is there an expected announcement due on the county senior football management?

whitegoodman

Personally, I’d be worried about the mental state of any man who really wants to win D1 this year.

In fact I’d be worried about it most years. League titles don’t matter a damn unless there’s promotion attached to it. But especially this year, D1 really doesn’t matter a damn. It’s a high standard of friendly match, nothing else.

This is exactly the point this year.  You just have to look at the strange look of the league table and the fact that no one team is dominant and teams are getting beat by teams that wouldn't usually be beat by.  Sure CPN or Clonduff may be pushing for a league but I really don't think Mickey Moran or Jim McCorry give one fiddlers f**k about the league.

I may be wrong but I will be surprised if its not the usual suspects in the championship final unless they meet each other prior to it.

Truth hurts

Quote from: whitegoodman on August 25, 2021, 12:14:29 PM

This is exactly the point this year.  You just have to look at the strange look of the league table and the fact that no one team is dominant and teams are getting beat by teams that wouldn't usually be beat by.  Sure CPN or Clonduff may be pushing for a league but I really don't think Mickey Moran or Jim McCorry give one fiddlers f**k about the league.

I may be wrong but I will be surprised if its not the usual suspects in the championship final unless they meet each other prior to it.

You think it will be a Kilcoo/CPN final then?

Smurfy123

The big clubs have no interest in the league
Carryduff Ballyholland Rostrevor Loughinisland and maybe the Ford would celebrate it
Who remembers how many Kilcoo have won or the great Burren teams of the 80s or the great bridge team of the noughties
Teams are gauged on championships
Lower divisions with promotion this year is different

Truth hurts

Quote from: Smurfy123 on August 25, 2021, 12:31:12 PM
The big clubs have no interest in the league
Carryduff Ballyholland Rostrevor Loughinisland and maybe the Ford would celebrate it
Who remembers how many Kilcoo have won or the great Burren teams of the 80s or the great bridge team of the noughties
Teams are gauged on championships
Lower divisions with promotion this year is different

You have won nothing at senior level since the early 50s, ffs it would be celebrated as big as anything.

It's easy for people to come on writing with 2 games to go in the league that teams don't care about the league. Every manager would be delighted with a league title. Jesus, it grins my gears about clubs dissing the league. Thats an easy cop out when you are not going well. Only one team can win the Frank O'Hare cup and a senior team divion 1 title would take pride of place on a club wall.

Centre 3/4

There's two competitions up for grabs one of which has been won almost exclusively by one club the last number of years. Most senior players have zero medals. Most managers have won sweet nothing. Winning a trophy is still an achievement especially for clubs who've won sweet fa. Catch yourselves on

thewobbler

It's all about perspective.

Footballers want to win games.

But if a key player from league contenders like Clonduff, CPN or Kilcoo has a leg strain next week, he won't be playing in the final league match(es). He will stay on ice until the championship.

Him playing might secure the win. And if it was a championship final this week, he would find a way. If it was a relegation league playoff he'd find a way too.

That's the league summed up. It's great to play in. It's nice to win. But in the grand scheme, winning a league title doesn't matter so much.

stiff breeze

Any league title for anyone outside of burren and kilcoo would be massively celebrated and a fantastic achievement . Winning anything at senior level is a fantastic achievement for anyone given the vice like grip the above mentioned two have had on things for years

Truth hurts

Correct me if I am wrong but since the turn of the Millenium there have been 20 champs and league trophies presented (40 in total), only Kilcoo, Mayobridge, Burren, Ford, Castlewellan, The kingdom and Clonduff have collected any titles, Maybe Rostrevor won one league title?? But for clubs to say they don't care about a league is crap, yes if there is an injury you won't risk your player but clubs should be disrespecting a Down division one league, as the teams down below would lose a limb for it. Its easy to say you don't care when you had a shit campaign.