Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

It's in our hands to win the league. Win the rest of our matches and we win the league
Going strong on all fronts. Our Premier Reserves into semi final
Tonight's game will be interesting. Ballyholland seem to have lost that edge they once had. Ballyholland were never going to win a championship or league but you knew you were in a battle with them. Looking at the results that doesn't look like the case anymore.

Bryansford and Loughinisland can't count themselves very lucky that relegation has been done away with.

Truth hurts

Defeat for Dundrum and Kilief puts them out on contention for promotion in 4. The race now between St Pauls, Dromaraand bright to see who goes up. A really strong league this year and its good to see Newry Mitchell's fielding and getting a win last night in Kilwarlin.

Looking at the fixture list CPN certainly is strong favourites for the league title, Carryduff cannot win it now so they won't be risking any players in that tie. Kilcoo by all accounts have not shown their hand in the league and will be strong favourites to retain the Frank O'Hare cup even with Devlin out. The chasing pack CPN, Burren, Mayobridge, Carryduff and Clonduff are much of a muchness and would fancy themselves against each other and vice versa. the RGU are racking up some big scores and Carryduff and them in the first round should be a cracker.

Truth hurts

Quote from: upandwin on August 24, 2021, 08:51:07 AM
Clonduff's to lose? Was looking at the table last night and it seems wide open but as far as I can see, only CPN have their fate in their own hands? If they win the last four games then they win the league? If Carryduff beat the Point next week then that opens the door for themselves and Clonduff and Kilcoo...with the yellas and Magpies playing each other on the last day of the season...

Warrenpoint have to be slight favourites at this stage but Carryduff is a very tricky place to go and get a result so nothing is given...I fully expect them to beat Rostrevor and the Ford but Ballyholland is never a straightforward fixture so tonight will be interesting, looking forward to that one...wonder what sort of side both teams will have available.

Were there any reports on last night's games? Rostrevor took another absolute hammering...they've gone to the dogs altogether. Clonduff are a great team but surely the reds can be better set up than getting beat by 13pts. Lots of rumblings about players not happy with their management, hard to make sense of it all from the outside looking in.

Jesus concluded, "Truly I tell you no prophet is accepted in his hometown"

upandwin

Why can Carryduff not win it now? Surely if they win their last three games they have a mathematical chance? I think this close to championship, most teams will be playing their strongest hand as there will be little or no chance of any friendlies after the league before championship starts? The next four games are dress rehearsals for 1st round of the championship...

Realistically Burren can try new players and tactics as they will definitely beat Saul in their opener, and they have nothing to play for in the league. Same goes for Bryansford and Loughinisland who will feel they have very winnable championship games and with poor showings in the league so far, will need to try new systems and players to improve for a championship run.

Mayobridge and Kilcoo are bound to want to gather some momentum before the biggest clash of the first round in a few weeks. RGU and Carryduff the same.

Getting really excited now about a championship that I never thought would take place a few months back...My predictions are as follows:

Saul v Burren - Burren by 8/9pts pulling up
Bredagh v Castlewellan- Castlewellan by a couple
Mayobridge v Kilcoo- Mayobridge by 3, Kilcoo not going out of second gear
Clonduff v Rostrevor- Clonduff by 10 pulling up
L'Island v Harps- Island in extra time
Ford v Glenn- Glenn in Extra time
Stone v Warrenpoint- Point by a couple, def won't be a walkover
RGU v Carryduff- RGU by 2, Mooney stealing the show

Truth hurts

Saul v Burren - Burren easily
Bredagh v Castlewellan- be close, could go to extra time
Mayobridge v Kilcoo- Kilcoo easily
Clonduff v Rostrevor- Clonduff easily
L'Island v Harps- Harps if all players out
Ford v Glenn- Glenn narrowly
Stone v Warrenpoint- Point by ten +
RGU v Carryduff- extra time

Hedgehunter

Quote from: Smurfy123 on August 24, 2021, 10:24:16 AM
It's in our hands to win the league. Win the rest of our matches and we win the league
Going strong on all fronts. Our Premier Reserves into semi final
Tonight's game will be interesting. Ballyholland seem to have lost that edge they once had. Ballyholland were never going to win a championship or league but you knew you were in a battle with them. Looking at the results that doesn't look like the case anymore.

Bryansford and Loughinisland can't count themselves very lucky that relegation has been done away with.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Leftmidfield

CPN 1.10 Ballyholland 2.12
Harps fully deserved win

Godsown

befair

Harps deserved the win; some brilliant points in the 3rd quarter turned the game. Was told that CPN didn't have their strongest team out, which I can't understand with a chance of winning the league at stake.

Leftmidfield

CPN missing John Boyle
McMahon not in nets for some reason
Ryan McAleenan is "long term" injury if you want to include him
Apart from that full team imo

Mourne Red

Good of Harps to let CPN get themselves back into it too make it close before burying them in the last minutes of the game 👀

Smurfy123

Poor performance from us
Ballyholland full value for the win
This could be another year we fuk up the league
Beat the big 2 and still can't get over the line

Truth hurts

CPN can still win the league if they win their last 3 games but will prob need Kilcoo to beat Clonduff to make sure. either way it's typical of Warrenpoint when really they should have been in cruise control. Was Boyle not playing due to soccer commitments?

Smurfy123

John hasn't played for Newry this year yet. He has been a sub
Not sure if that was the reason
It's not in our own hands to now win it which is the problem
I think management have 1 eye on the championship
I'm sure all the big teams will have now turned attentions to it

upandwin

Was at the game last night and as a previous poster said, Ballyholland fully deserved the win we can have no complaints. They were hungrier and won every 50/50, our lads letting Loughran and Murtagh shoot for fun and they put over some magnificent scores. We were missing John Boyle but he didn't play against Burren or Loughinisland recently but we coped without him no problem...Gary McMahon had been injured but was definitely available as he was stripped out...but think he must just have been dropped...I definitely think we are a much stronger team with him in the side but the players on the pitch should've had enough to see out that game...no intensity, no aggression and until the last 10mins there was no fight either. Poor decision making all over the pitch, in particular from our forwards who seemed reluctant to shoot.

Clonduff's to lose now, they will fancy themselves for back to back leagues which would be some achievement. Big opportunity missed for our lads who will probably now go to Carryduff and get beat after that show last night. Hopefully we put up a half decent performance against the mighty Reds in the local derby Friday, one to look forward to.