Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

befair

Quote from: Truth hurts on August 02, 2021, 08:33:54 AM
Quote from: Johnnysboys on August 01, 2021, 10:08:21 PM
Disgraceful scenes at the end of the minor league final today in Mayobridge.. Burren win the game easily but started an absolute melee.. these clubs need to be held to account like Ballyholland and Downpatrick were a few years ago.

sssshhh move on.. nothing to see here, two of the so-called superclubs, nothing will be done about it. The videos did not look too kind though.

Have you a link?

charlieTully

Quote from: befair on August 02, 2021, 04:25:43 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on August 02, 2021, 08:33:54 AM
Quote from: Johnnysboys on August 01, 2021, 10:08:21 PM
Disgraceful scenes at the end of the minor league final today in Mayobridge.. Burren win the game easily but started an absolute melee.. these clubs need to be held to account like Ballyholland and Downpatrick were a few years ago.

sssshhh move on.. nothing to see here, two of the so-called superclubs, nothing will be done about it. The videos did not look too kind though.

Have you a link?

I'll take one as well lol

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Truth hurts on August 02, 2021, 01:08:25 PM
Any predictions for tonight's games, I am looking forward to watching the two best teams in the league play in Kilcoo tonight. It should be a cracker

It was some game.. We definitely have their mark in these games and a bit more belief we will take them in the championship too.. Clonduff look like pace setters at minute.. playing weakened teams due to injuries and winning games is good sign of a strong panel.. Rostrevor struggling as expected and apparently the blues had the unbeatable Burren beaten and let it slip in injury time..

Truth hurts

Kilcoo had a good team out minus a few regulars but apparently so did the Point but the victors seemed to look sharper, Kilcoo will get stronger for the championship but on last night's performance, they will not cakewalk it like previous years. I always rated Mulholland as a manager and he seems to have steel in the Point this season.

A prominent county board member told me last night that there will be repercussions for the brawl at Sunday's minor league final and the talk is that they could be expelled from the championship. Apparently, county board is sick of clubs fighting and bringing the good name of the county into disrepute.

wobbller

Quote from: Truth hurts on August 03, 2021, 08:48:15 AM
Kilcoo had a good team out minus a few regulars but apparently so did the Point but the victors seemed to look sharper, Kilcoo will get stronger for the championship but on last night's performance, they will not cakewalk it like previous years. I always rated Mulholland as a manager and he seems to have steel in the Point this season.

A prominent county board member told me last night that there will be repercussions for the brawl at Sunday's minor league final and the talk is that they could be expelled from the championship. Apparently, county board is sick of clubs fighting and bringing the good name of the county into disrepute.
Prominent ;D ;D ;D ;D

upandwin

Was up watching Kilcoo CPN game last night. Have to say, lots of missed chances from both teams and they'll both probably be happy enough with the result tbf. Kilcoo will have bigger fish to fry than a league game at the start of the year, they haven't traditionally started the league that strongly...they'll hit their stride in about 3/4weeks I'd imagine.

Was very impressed with our lads though tbf, both teams missing a good few players that will make a big impact if fit and available later in the year. Kilcoo being kept to one point in the second half was not like them at all and they badly lost their discipline near the end with one Brannigan being black carded and the other sent off for a kick. Magpies didn't get out of 2nd or 3rd gear but neither did Warrenpoint. Good start to the league for our lads, very tough few fixtures coming up though against Burren, Yellas and Bridge.

Clonduff seem to be flying and Harps ticking along OK too, Rostrevor got a fair pasting last night at home which was surprising, anyone at the game? Also Loughinisland getting it very tight atm, are they missing many men? Know Flynn wrecked himself but surely they should still be competitive enough with the talent at their disposal?

Mayobridge getting pipped by Burren at the death which seems to be an annual occurence now, whether it's a last minute goal or point-they never seem to be able to see it over the line. What was the report from that game?

upandwin

Also, side note...Out of ten games played in Div1 so far, 9 of them have been won by the away side...any particular reason for that?

thewobbler

Quote from: upandwin on August 03, 2021, 09:34:38 AM
Also, side note...Out of ten games played in Div1 so far, 9 of them have been won by the away side...any particular reason for that?

It's just numbers being numbers. Live long enough and you'll see 6 numbers in a row come out in the lotto.

Truth hurts

Quote from: upandwin on August 03, 2021, 09:24:35 AM
Was up watching Kilcoo CPN game last night. Have to say, lots of missed chances from both teams and they'll both probably be happy enough with the result tbf. Kilcoo will have bigger fish to fry than a league game at the start of the year, they haven't traditionally started the league that strongly...they'll hit their stride in about 3/4weeks I'd imagine.

Was very impressed with our lads though tbf, both teams missing a good few players that will make a big impact if fit and available later in the year. Kilcoo being kept to one point in the second half was not like them at all and they badly lost their discipline near the end with one Brannigan being black carded and the other sent off for a kick. Magpies didn't get out of 2nd or 3rd gear but neither did Warrenpoint. Good start to the league for our lads, very tough few fixtures coming up though against Burren, Yellas and Bridge.

Clonduff seem to be flying and Harps ticking along OK too, Rostrevor got a fair pasting last night at home which was surprising, anyone at the game? Also Loughinisland getting it very tight atm, are they missing many men? Know Flynn wrecked himself but surely they should still be competitive enough with the talent at their disposal?

Mayobridge getting pipped by Burren at the death which seems to be an annual occurence now, whether it's a last minute goal or point-they never seem to be able to see it over the line. What was the report from that game?

Could this be the year that Clonduff finally clicks, I always think on paper they have a great squad but always seem to shit the nest at big stages. They are crying out for a good defense and goalie.  I am so looking forward to our championships, I think we will be in for a treat and although Kilcoo will be favourites I think there will be 6/7 teams that will fancy their chances on any given day provided they get a favourable run.

Kilcoo, Burren, CPN, Clonduff, Bridge and possibly Ballyholand and Carryduff could win a Down senior football championship this year

whitegoodman

Quote from: Truth hurts on August 03, 2021, 09:51:06 AM

Could this be the year that Clonduff finally clicks, I always think on paper they have a great squad but always seem to shit the nest at big stages. They are crying out for a good defense and goalie.  I am so looking forward to our championships, I think we will be in for a treat and although Kilcoo will be favourites I think there will be 6/7 teams that will fancy their chances on any given day provided they get a favourable run.

Kilcoo, Burren, CPN, Clonduff, Bridge and possibly Ballyholand and Carryduff could win a Down senior football championship this year

No they couldn't, what are you basing this on, a couple of glorified friendlies ?

Kilcoo and at a push Burren or CPN might.

Truth hurts

Quote from: whitegoodman on August 03, 2021, 11:04:51 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on August 03, 2021, 09:51:06 AM

No they couldn't, what are you basing this on, a couple of glorified friendlies ?

Kilcoo and at a push Burren or CPN might.

I am basing it on that when it comes to knock out football any of them teams can beat each other. ae you saying Clonduff could not beat Burren team when the get stuck into them?

Truth hurts

On another note, Dromara had a great win over St Pauls. Division 4 is going to go to the final day, Bright seem to be on the way up again. Great to see

whitegoodman

I certainly believe Clonduff could beat Burren or Burren could get caught by one of the other teams you mentioned but other than CPN or Burren I haven't seen any evidence that the teams you mentioned have the quality to beat Kilcoo in championship semi final or final.

The back door systems also provides the "better" teams with a second chance if they have an off day.

Truth hurts

Quote from: whitegoodman on August 03, 2021, 12:11:47 PM
I certainly believe Clonduff could beat Burren or Burren could get caught by one of the other teams you mentioned but other than CPN or Burren I haven't seen any evidence that the teams you mentioned have the quality to beat Kilcoo in championship semi final or final.

The back door systems also provides the "better" teams with a second chance if they have an off day.

Thats fair enough, I have not seen enough football in the top league to convey then.  What teams have you seen in the top division? How would you rate the top 8 teams in the county?