Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnysboys

Dundrum wise a proposal was brought forward by the then committee a few years ago about amalgamation with Kinlar and all football be moved over to the centre of excellence when built but was strongly opposed by the players. Don't know if Ballymartin or Stone would be keen on an amalgamation but Glassdrumman look to be struggling senior panel down until they get to u11s for numbers, could be bleak few years for them. Hopefully they can keep the ship afloat until they get numbers coming through
[/quote]

Tell me this folks

Looking at other counties like Galway, Dublin, Armagh, Cork. Kerry, Monaghan, Mayo etc they allow clubs to have a team in the senior league and Junior league.. For example Corofin have a team that is playing in Senior. Intermediate and Junior leagues.. Nemo Rangers the same.. others like Crossmaglen and killeavy are in senior and junior league in Armagh.. I'm sure the likes of CPN, Kilcoo, Burren, Clonduff, Mayobridge could all field in division 4 and make it more competitive.. Surely the likes of Dundrum, Dromara, St Paul's etc would relish the chance of going to these clubs and showcasing their talent rather than the same old same old each year.. Teams in division 4 target who they will beat before a ball is kicked and know the 1 or 2 games that will be tough.. surely if there were 5,6,7 tough games per season the quality of player they have would improve - thus county representatives..

These teams can get promoted but only to division 3 not beyond.. If their seniors were to be relegated then they won't play each other in division 2.. but if they go another division their junior team has to go to division 4... name a top 20 players that are never allowed to play in juniors and if a junior player for kilcoo goin well in division 4 and plays for seniors after a couple of weeks - he cannot go back to junior again that year.. I think it could work if we had open minded people in certain clubs..

Thoughts???

Mourne Red

Quote from: Johnnysboys on July 30, 2021, 10:38:38 PM

Dundrum wise a proposal was brought forward by the then committee a few years ago about amalgamation with Kinlar and all football be moved over to the centre of excellence when built but was strongly opposed by the players. Don't know if Ballymartin or Stone would be keen on an amalgamation but Glassdrumman look to be struggling senior panel down until they get to u11s for numbers, could be bleak few years for them. Hopefully they can keep the ship afloat until they get numbers coming through

Tell me this folks

Looking at other counties like Galway, Dublin, Armagh, Cork. Kerry, Monaghan, Mayo etc they allow clubs to have a team in the senior league and Junior league.. For example Corofin have a team that is playing in Senior. Intermediate and Junior leagues.. Nemo Rangers the same.. others like Crossmaglen and killeavy are in senior and junior league in Armagh.. I'm sure the likes of CPN, Kilcoo, Burren, Clonduff, Mayobridge could all field in division 4 and make it more competitive.. Surely the likes of Dundrum, Dromara, St Paul's etc would relish the chance of going to these clubs and showcasing their talent rather than the same old same old each year.. Teams in division 4 target who they will beat before a ball is kicked and know the 1 or 2 games that will be tough.. surely if there were 5,6,7 tough games per season the quality of player they have would improve - thus county representatives..

These teams can get promoted but only to division 3 not beyond.. If their seniors were to be relegated then they won't play each other in division 2.. but if they go another division their junior team has to go to division 4... name a top 20 players that are never allowed to play in juniors and if a junior player for kilcoo goin well in division 4 and plays for seniors after a couple of weeks - he cannot go back to junior again that year.. I think it could work if we had open minded people in certain clubs..

Thoughts???
[/quote]

Transferred from an Div 4 club due to moving out of the parish but they talked about restructuring leagues a few years ago and players in club I was in wanted that.. No offence too them but you learn nothing and don't improve beating Aghaderg, St Michaels, Mitchell's by 20 points. You've it right too Johnny games are targeted so you'd base trainings on playing Finn/St Paul's etc the stronger teams and that's how the league is done. Also going up to Kilcoo, Burren etc gives teams who've no chance of playing at those venues a taste of what it's like and bigger crowd to play in front off too..

But too my mind only thing stopping this would be senior managers want to keep everyone who is on their panel playing senior football, wouldn't lend them to the "2s". Other thing would be shortage of referees, don't think we have the capacity to put more games on a Friday night

Smurfy123

What a win for Down tonight
Fair play to all involved
A great achievement

The division 4 teams voted against seconds teams entering division 4 3 years ago. That's why it never happened. The senior clubs wanted it

Mourne Rover

Quite a performance tonight from what is clearly the best underage team we have produced since the 2005 AI minor champions. They were a brilliantly organised side, with every player comfortable on the ball and confident in the system. Monaghan put in a massive effort in the most difficult of circumstances, but just a little more calmness by our forwards would have finished the contest comfortably in normal time. However, extra time was a clinical exercise with our ability to retain possession and use our pace hugely impressive. O'Hare was a well deserved man of the match, and his interview afterwards was also exceptional, but there were plenty of other fine performances and Gilmore coming off the bench was a game changer. While the AI semi against Roscommon is only a week away, we have a serious management unit and the squad will be well up for it.

Mourne Red

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 30, 2021, 11:24:18 PM
What a win for Down tonight
Fair play to all involved
A great achievement

The division 4 teams voted against seconds teams entering division 4 3 years ago. That's why it never happened. The senior clubs wanted it

Didn't know that Smurfy apologies.. Club I was playing for at the time the players wanted it.. Hopefully get suggested again in the near future. It will benefit clubs in the long term, look at the Finn for example they were playing Senior teams 2nds teams in 2019 when they had a free week and clearly benefitted them from the level they were then too now

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Mourne Rover on July 30, 2021, 11:51:16 PM
Quite a performance tonight from what is clearly the best underage team we have produced since the 2005 AI minor champions. They were a brilliantly organised side, with every player comfortable on the ball and confident in the system. Monaghan put in a massive effort in the most difficult of circumstances, but just a little more calmness by our forwards would have finished the contest comfortably in normal time. However, extra time was a clinical exercise with our ability to retain possession and use our pace hugely impressive. O'Hare was a well deserved man of the match, and his interview afterwards was also exceptional, but there were plenty of other fine performances and Gilmore coming off the bench was a game changer. While the AI semi against Roscommon is only a week away, we have a serious management unit and the squad will be well up for it.

Excellent review. That is a serious Down team.

First off, hard luck to Monaghan, they were a credit to their county. A few lads and supporters were in bits at the end. Just so sad and hard to comprehend.

I hope for all the best for them in the future and sincere sympathy with the Dufaigh family.

Everything about Down tonight really impressed me.
The missed chances, the times when we looked buried, down to 14. Monaghan at times looking like sure winners.
As a defender in my playing days I always look at the grind of a win. Downs tackling was flawless tonight.

What won it for Down was their command of the basic skills and the confidence to play football. To stick to a plan. Kilcoo-esque maybe?

I thought what would cause Down to lose tonight was the historical habit of us losing and winning nothing for so long. Not to these players.
Mistakes were made but it cared not a jot. A trait that is taught.

Finally when we won, the understated celebration of the win was what marked the night for me. The respect that Down management and team showed toward Monaghan will live with me for a long time.

Now for Monaghan to win the Ulster senior championship. Come on the Farney!
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

6th sam

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on July 31, 2021, 12:50:11 AM
Quote from: Mourne Rover on July 30, 2021, 11:51:16 PM

Excellent review. That is a serious Down team.

First off, hard luck to Monaghan, they were a credit to their county. A few lads and supporters were in bits at the end. Just so sad and hard to comprehend.

I hope for all the best for them in the future and sincere sympathy with the Dufaigh family.

Everything about Down tonight really impressed me.
The missed chances, the times when we looked buried, down to 14. Monaghan at times looking like sure winners.
As a defender in my playing days I always look at the grind of a win. Downs tackling was flawless tonight.

What won it for Down was their command of the basic skills and the confidence to play football. To stick to a plan. Kilcoo-esque maybe?

I thought what would cause Down to lose tonight was the historical habit of us losing and winning nothing for so long. Not to these players.
Mistakes were made but it cared not a jot. A trait that is taught.

Finally when we won, the understated celebration of the win was what marked the night for me. The respect that Down management and team showed toward Monaghan will live with me for a long time.

Now for Monaghan to win the Ulster senior championship. Come on the Farney!

Well organised, well motivated, well disciplined, quality performances all round.  Now for Roscommon. Heartbreaking for Monaghan, so proud of big Ruairí's emotional speech of support.

Lotto

Congratulations to the Kilcoo U.20 team last night.

stiff breeze

Fantastic interview from ruairi o hare and well done the team amd management 👏

SamFever

Quote from: Lotto on July 31, 2021, 11:46:25 AM
Don't be a d-ck!!

Walter Cronc

Slightly off topic but are the likes of Bredagh / Carryduff producing any underage county players? 2 clubs with big picks. Can only benefit Down long term.

Dubh driocht

Quote from: Lotto on July 31, 2021, 11:46:25 AM
Sad begrudgery on a night that pride was restored in Down football and, more importantly, the players, management and supporters showed respect for a grieving family and county.
The future of Ireland will be shaped by people like Brendan Óg Duffy, Ruairi O'Hare and their teammates .

befair

The small number of clubs involved in the u20 team reflects the demise of East Down as a force and the lack of players from the big towns (Downpatrick, Belfast, Newry, Castlewellan)
It will be a generation before we challenge at senior level again.
Having said that, an Ulster U20 is to be celebrated for its own sake. I suspect life will take many of these lads away from Ireland, so Carpe Diem

manwithnoplan

Quote from: befair on July 31, 2021, 03:13:24 PM
The small number of clubs involved in the u20 team reflects the demise of East Down as a force and the lack of players from the big towns (Downpatrick, Belfast, Newry, Castlewellan)
Having said that, an Ulster U20 is to be celebrated for its own sake. I suspect life will take many of these lads away from Ireland, so Carpe Diem

12 players on last night's panel from East Down? RGU had a starter, and have men on the senior panel. Carryduff have players involved at pretty much all levels. Very negative comment after what was a positive event for Down football.

SHEEDY

Quote from: befair on July 31, 2021, 03:13:24 PM
13 different clubs on a 24 man panel is hardly a small representation.
nil satis nisi optimum