Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redandblackareback

Quote from: thewobbler on July 15, 2021, 02:13:07 PM
It will only take precedence if our clubs allow it to happen.

How players are released for county fixtures is not set by central council. It is motioned by the county board executive, and agreed by the county board (the clubs).

My personal belief (in no way representative of my club) is that senior league fixtures should be fulfilled on same weekend throughout the u2 competitions, and u20 players are eligible to play for clubs.

I have to agree, the leagues have to go ahead, we are the only county in Ulster that hasn't started the league's yet and now we are stopping them for an underage development squad!!! What's next???

Laverty has been training these lads from February the whole way through lockdown, time to push on with the senior club leagues.

Smurfy123

Lads whilst I agree that the leagues should go on without them or scrapped that is not going to happen

And anyone who thinks these lads will play for the clubs now is badly badly mistaken

These players haven't played for the clubs since the 1st game of that pre season competition so they are not going to play now

And I'll state again I agree with wobbler regarding we should not be stopping club leagues for this

That's 2 Fridays past already where leagues could have been started

I'll say it again a decision needs to be made

And it's all or nothing

Can't have say 7 teams not playing and the rest playing.
That's just farcical

Hedgehunter

What clubs will be looking for a postponement? I'm not speaking for my club but I wouldn't think they will be looking to postpone. But who knows.

Lotto

Any club who have U.20's on their team as starters and are most likely weaker without them will possibly look for postponements. Any others with injuries and players on U.20 panel may also look to put their game back if this suited them. I always thought that County panels were allowed a free fortnight before their championship games, certainly the case for seniors and I think 7 days for minors, not sure what it is for U.20's though. This really is a mess and while we all want to see them do well there is no doubt that the club season will suffer for the sake of this competition.

Smurfy123

Well would you expect auglishnafin to play without there best player? After all the hard work that club done to get into Division 3 to potentially play 5 matches without him and probably getting relegated?
Saul without O Hare? I think not
Now we are fine as we only have 2 and can deal with that but the smaller clubs will struggle
It may only be 1 player but in a short league it could be the difference in getting relegated and staying up.

Lotto

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 15, 2021, 09:17:58 PM
Well would you expect auglishnafin to play without there best player? After all the hard work that club done to get into Division 3 to potentially play 5 matches without him and probably getting relegated?
Saul without O Hare? I think not
Now we are fine as we only have 2 and can deal with that but the smaller clubs will struggle
It may only be 1 player but in a short league it could be the difference in getting relegated and staying up.

Could we have some English please, what point are you making?

Smurfy123

Smurfy123

I see the Auglishnafin match will be off Monday night if Down win tonight
Anyone who thought games would continue without these lads were mistaken
This is just the start of it

Truth hurts

The leagues cant be scrapped, I think teams should play without their players and no relegation but promotion from 2,3,4. It will be up to the CCC to rejig the leagues in the next few years but a division 1 with 12 teams next year would not be the end of the world followed by 2(10 teams), 3 (11 teams), and 4 (10 teams). I think that would be fairer on every player both county and club and would ensure all games go ahead as planned without the stop-start nature. If Down win tonight I hope the CCC sees sense to meet over the weekend and agree on this proposal as it's the only viable solution. The wobbler's suggestions sound good but won't happen, Smurfy's suggestions to scrap the league are ludicrous. The fairest solution is no relegation but promotion. There would be no club that would be against this.

snoopdog

U20s on tg4 youtube tonight. 

terrifictommy

The reason the choices are so difficult are all outlined in the thread. So many different opinions about what's the best way forward and all discredit each other's views.
Plan better, go ahead without u20's, postpone if not available, all for u20, get rid of u20. County board, provincial.
They had to make a decision and we clubs need to adjust. The county are saying any clubs who don't wish to go ahead when there is a clash, they can postpone. I can't see any other logical way forward.

Truth hurts

The problem is the further they go in the competition that there will be no space to play the remaining games due to the start of the championship. It will not be possible to have enough weeks even if they go Monday and Friday. I really believe that option of no relegation is the best option if they win an Ulster title. It will keep everyone happy

Smurfy123

Truth hurts you seem to have a good solution
No relegation
That would mean all clubs would get on with it from next week on with no issues
As it stands if Down win tonight we will see 50% of matches in division 1 and 2 postponed
Now that is farcical
Would it be that bad if the leagues were
Div 1 -12
Division 2- 12
Division 3 12
Division 4 10

Now what is wrong with that?

Things will be a lot clearer this evening

Good luck to Conor and his brilliant team tonight
Playing the game the way it should be

stiff breeze

Farcical you reckon ....50% postponed you say ....It's fantastic insight for you to know what decision 20 clubs are going to make next Friday night . Did you text round them all ? Which ones aren't playing out of interest ?

Smurfy123

Well of the top of my head with lads on panel
Kilcoo 5
Ballyholland 4
Burren 4
Auglisnafin 1
St John's 1
Saul 1
Mayobridge 4
Glenn 1
Clonduff 2
Downpatrick 1
Carryduff 2
Longstone 1
Bryansford 2

Now why would any of those clubs play with men down?