Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictommy

It certainly would be nice to have a more competitive championship, same old gets fairly boring after a while.
Maybe the recent issues have created a more open and attacking philosophy, watching the Inter county there seems to be much more scores and a better attacking system.
Be interesting to see who comes out on top today, have the feeling it's more important for CPN

redandblackareback

Quote from: terrifictommy on July 11, 2021, 10:11:10 AM
It certainly would be nice to have a more competitive championship, same old gets fairly boring after a while.
Maybe the recent issues have created a more open and attacking philosophy, watching the Inter county there seems to be much more scores and a better attacking system.
Be interesting to see who comes out on top today, have the feeling it's more important for CPN

More important for CPN, really??? A meaningless pre season competition, wise up.

Excellent win for our U20 side Friday evening, I agree with Wobbler, more to come from this young side, they have a head start on most teams as they have been training since January, so there is an Ulster title there for the taking.

terrifictommy

More important for CPN, really??? A meaningless pre season competition, wise up.

Absolutely more important for CPN. I can guess neither team are thinking it's a Mickey Mouse cup before throw in, and both will want that win. You are naive if you don't believe these 2 going head-2-head in a 'final' isn't significant.

Sandstorm

What was the game like today? I see Kilcoo won well.

Leftmidfield

It was like a training match especially with the small crowd which added to lack of atmosphere. Kilcoo much superior and the score line certainly didn't flatter them

elk

Warrenpoint seem to have a lot of lads missing. Very one sided game, their new management team have a lot to work on.

5times5times

Not a single mention of ANY of the games this week across the finals... Anybody even suprised?

befair

Shield final was a good game; RGN 7 pts ahead with 15 mins left, good comeback by Rostrevor to win in the end. Sean Parr still an amazing footballer, should have been on the county panel for years. If he'd been playing in Croke Pk in 2010 we'd have taken Sam home

Akinfenwa

Championship draws going up on Facebook at 5pm today.

Any ties anyone wants to see? A couple of big guns drawn together? Keep the big boys separate until later in the competition?

Truth hurts

Can anyone tell me are division 1 and 2 going ahead if Down win on Friday night? There is real talk throughout the county that the leagues are going to lose promotion and relegation and to play for the trophies due to players' involvement in the  u20 championship. It was a great performance by Down on Friday night but how in the name of God did the GAA let this competition be run in the middle of July and August . Apparently, Ballyholland has stated they are not playing the league without their county players, and who can blame them.

Hedgehunter

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 14, 2021, 10:11:00 AM
Can anyone tell me are division 1 and 2 going ahead if Down win on Friday night? There is real talk throughout the county that the leagues are going to lose promotion and relegation and to play for the trophies due to players' involvement in the  u20 championship. It was a great performance by Down on Friday night but how in the name of God did the GAA let this competition be run in the middle of July and August . Apparently, Ballyholland has stated they are not playing the league without their county players, and who can blame them.

I think I read somewhere where there are 3 free dates later on in the year where any postponements will be played and if needed the final round of fixtures will be pushed back 1 week to allow the postponed to catch up.

general

I believe clubs are given the option to postpone their games should they have any county players...

this will then turn the fixture list in to more Friday/Monday Games (already 2 scheduled in div 2) rather than push the end date back for the league - Div 2 still scheduled to finish on 3rd Sept.

Truth hurts

If Down got to the all Ireland final there are 5 games scheduled to be played before then. The number of fixtures to be squeezed into then would be crazy. This has not been thought out properly. Teams will have played games and teams will know what they need to do et etc, It is going to be a disaster if Down can go far.

Smurfy123

If Down win on Friday what happens?
Some teams play some don't?
What a crazy crazy situation.
Some teams may not start until the first week of August
If an All Ireland final it will run into some teams starting at the end of August
Promotion and relegation for some teams who could be playing in 10 games in 20 days if that 6th of September is the cut of point
I don't think the county board have much riggle room as it takes 6 weeks to run off the championship that's with no weekends free
Promotion and relegation needs scrapped

supersub

In the event of Down Under 20s reaching an Ulster Final and All Ireland Semi Finals or Final, the following dates have been set aside for postponed games to be played- August 16th, August 30th and September 3rd (Final round of League Games would then move to Monday 6th September).

Games will not be automatically postponed by CCC but a request must be made to CCC by Clubs who may be impacted by their players involvement with Down Under 20s.