Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Great win today
A wins a win
Sets us up nicely with a match against an average Laois side
Credit to Bubba who I have had a go at for his kickouts but he was the hero today
Well done bubba

Mourne Rover

Burns was our man of the match by some distance in an absolutely crazy match. We were eight up in the third quarter and completely dominating, after Westmeath got a black card, and it should have been just a question of game management. However, the wind seemed to get stronger, the familiar gaps started to appear in our defence and a brilliant Westmeath goal gave them all the momentum. The excellent penalty save from Burns gave us some respite, but he had to make another couple of fine stops, there was another shot blocked on the line and a Westmeath forward palmed the ball on to the crossbar. At the other end, Kerr overcarried the ball when a goal seemed certain and Darren O'Hagan missed an equally good chance. Eight minutes of injury time was announced and the referee actually managed to play ten, but we just about got over the line. There were some outstanding blocks and tackles in the dying stages as well as some panicky mistakes, and a relegation playoff against Laois is probably the outcome we wanted. If we stay up, we will have done it the hard way.

Lotto

Great to get a win and many thanks to Burns for that. Just papering over the cracks though.

Ed Hardy

What club is Thomas McInerney from?

Nanderson

redandblackareback

Brilliant win on Sunday against an ultra defensive set up, Laois are very poor and we should be winning that game comfortably especially with home advantage. With Murphy and McGee injured, have we a glimmer of hope v Donegal ?

Johnnysboys

What's the story with so many games being called off due to no referee??? I know there is a big drive to recruit referees every year but are we that short that we are now not having fixtures???

terrifictommy

The game I was at last weekend there was a load of referees calling fouls, right enough none of them were on the pitch.
But apart from that there's been no real new refs in the county this past 4/5 years. The odd one or two but more leaving?

Johnnysboys

Loooking at the recent scores in the Corn An Duin sections and a few teams getting toppled by lower league opposition.. the one club that really stands out is the Bridge... has "downs oldest club" bubble finally burst???

befair

Quote from: terrifictommy on June 03, 2021, 08:06:44 PM
The game I was at last weekend there was a load of referees calling fouls, right enough none of them were on the pitch.
But apart from that there's been no real new refs in the county this past 4/5 years. The odd one or two but more leaving?
With the abuse refs receive, who would want to be a GAA ref? Managers make mistakes, players miss open goals, but it's easier to blame the ref.

Lotto

Just wondering why our Down social media channels of twitter and facebook are solely County based? We must have the worst PRO's in Ireland over the last few years who cannot retweet or post any club activity, every other county can do this apart from us apparently.

snoopdog

Any team news for tonight's game. Did the 500 spectators get selected or how did the tickets get sorted? 12 to every club?
I dont know how it will go but Down have struggled against Laois over last number of years. They have had height in Kingston that Down always struggle with and begley will be a bonus to them if fit.

Leftmidfield

All I know is Gerard Mcgovern is full back and Patrick Murdock is left corner back

snoopdog

Good win today. I didnt see it but another year in div 2 gives something to build on. Looking at div 2 if it had been played as normal I wouldve looked at Laois and westmeath as games to win to keep us up.  Cant see is troubling Donegal but sure just go for it nothing to lose.

Dubh driocht

A good finish to our league campaign and we will be dining at the number 2 table for another year.
Tally managed the game well and while the kick out strategy is far from perfect, it has come on leaps and bounds, with Rory Burns born again to claim a second successive motm performance.
Full back line was strong, only Darren impressed in HB line and Ryan McAvoy brought plenty to the mf sector when he came on apart from his black card and mad cross field pass to Donie Kingston.
Liam Kerr was pick of the forward line despite 1.9 from Barry O'Hagan while Cory Quinn didn't do a lot but everything was quality.  He has the balance and skills of Mark Poland but more end product.  The usual mixture of madness and brilliance from Mooney while all subs did well.
We probably won't get close to Donegal but I'm certain we will put on a good show with pride in the Jersey.