Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauly2

To come on here and say what you said about Anthony Devlin is nothin short of inaccurate and wrong. Disgusting? The man is as hard as nails and is one of the most physically imposing players about but in no way is he disgusting, cynical or dirty. Anthony is a player that gives his all and will empty the tank for the cause and even at the latter stages of a brilliant career has stil a lot to offer. The man is  one of the top players to ever wear the black and white since he made his debut for us back in 1996 as a 15 year old in division 3 where he went on to captain us to minor and under 21 championships, 2 Division 1 titles and play a major role in us securing the Frank OHare cup for the first time in 72 years, gaining the coveted player of the match award in the county final.
To say Castlewellan wouldnt have a player of his liking is laughable, he is a very well respected footballer throughout the county and is definatly not known as cynical or disgusting for that matter.
[/quote]

You must be like the rest of the magpies - blinkered vision.. If you think this man aint dirty, cynical and disgusting as a player on the pitch - you are delusional.  I agree with a later post about the Kilcoo tactics - slowing down free kicks, not allowing the other team to move the ball quickly, getting the ball moved forward time and time again for standing in front of the ball or not releasing it.  But think back to the bridge in the early years when mc crory had them - same thing.  They frustrated the life outta teams by playing the game on their terms.  So its Jim who should take the plaudits on this one.  And no i wouldnt want him on our club team - we have enuf to worry about with out a dirty prat like him playin...

Square Ball

jeez people, i am not a magpie but to call any player those names is imho way over the top. Would you call him those names to his face?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Square Ball on September 13, 2011, 10:52:46 AM
jeez people, i am not a magpie but to call any player those names is imho way over the top. Would you call him those names to his face?

Not a chance. Typical Castlewellan jelousey that their wee neighbours are streets ahead of them in terms of talent and class. I love a nice rivalry with our neighbours but to slabber about an absoulte gentleman and a brilliant player with words like those that have been used is nothing short of disrespectful and totally wrong.

infinity

As a Castlewellan poster I would have to agree MDG, bit cowardly of Pauly2 to slate any player like that behind an internet username. Incidentally, What do you think of Anthony Devlin as a footballer Pauly2?...Personally I think he would surely be in the top 10 players over the last 10 years in division 1 and has had a huge part to play in the upturn in Kilcoos fortunes over the same period. Very disappointed in Bryansford on Sunday and Mayobridge on Friday. On the face of things it looks like Burren and Kilcoo could make Down club football a 'duopoly' over the next while.

real food, real people

Anthony Devlin was & is an absolute gentleman. Had the pleasure of playing alongside him. Would never be an instigator but would always hold his own physically. The town have had a fair few like that of their own over the years.....

downtothecore

Folks, I attended all the senior championship matches at the weekend and Kilcoo were the pick of the bunch. In this match Byransford were simply not up for the fight. Kilcoo bossed them from start to finish. Pete Mc Grath at one point was even visibily dissappointed with the level of passion shown from some of his players.... Kilcoo simply gave a very passionate team perfomance and got most players behind the ball to pack their defence..Byransford simply had no answer.  GOD HELP CLONDUFF

Dubh driocht

Anthony Devlin is the first man I would have on my team.
Admire Kilcoo, respect their players,don't like their manager - he brings cynicism to a new level.
Clonduff have pride and won't roll over but I don't think there will be many predicting anything other than a Burren V Kilcoo final

razor

Jealously is an awful thing.

Anthony Devlin is a fantastic football and would walk on to any team in the county and should be selected for the county panel.

If everybody thought Kilcoo were dirty on Sunday. Where Bryansford innocent?

Also Pete McGrath sending on Aidan Shields to try and start a row late on shows how much he wanted to win the game. That was an absolute disgrace. He started the row on Sunday night.

pauly2

Top ten Club players over the last ten years

1 Benny coulter (Mayobridge)
2.Gavin Barry (Mayobridge)
3.Ronan Sexton (Mayobridge)
4.Aidan Shields (Bryansford)
5.Liam Doyle (Laitroim)
6.Mark Doran (Stone)
7.Eoghan Woods (Mayobridge)
8.P O Mc Conville (Clonduff)
9.Ronan Mc Govern (Burren)
10.Conor Lavery (Kilcoo) (maybe played 8 or 9 of the 10 years)

Outside that you have the likes of
Declan Rooney (Mayobridge) was a massive player for them in their glory years
Noel Sexton Mayobridge
Adrian Barry (Pluggy) (Mayobridge)

These guys and more from Mayobridge all have 8 championship medals and numerous league medals in their pocket and you have the cheek to say Devlin would be in top 10 - catch a grip...
Lavery is in there because he creates a buzz when he is on the ball.  He is difficult to mark and is chief in everything Kilcoo do and will do in the future.

The next ten years and Devlin still wont be in the top ten players... But i do agree with previous poster that Burren and Kilcoo look like sharing the most of the next 5-8 championships. 

thewobbler

Interesting list.

I'd say Liam Doyle hasn't played 20 games for Liatroim in those 10 years.

Putting Ronan McGovern on it is Burren tokenism. A very good player, but nowhere near a list like this. Same with Pio; if we must include a Clonduff man it would be Shane Ward.

I'd put Devlin up there with or maybe even higher than the likes of Ward, Conor Daly, Aidan O Prey as outstandingly reliable Division 1 players of the past decade. Once you get past the county mainstays, these are the fellas who did it for years.

pauly2

Quote from: thewobbler on September 13, 2011, 09:46:58 PM
Interesting list.

I'd say Liam Doyle hasn't played 20 games for Liatroim in those 10 years.

Putting Ronan McGovern on it is Burren tokenism. A very good player, but nowhere near a list like this. Same with Pio; if we must include a Clonduff man it would be Shane Ward.

I'd put Devlin up there with or maybe even higher than the likes of Ward, Conor Daly, Aidan O Prey as outstandingly reliable Division 1 players of the past decade. Once you get past the county mainstays, these are the fellas who did it for years.

Burren Tokenism - are you serious?? he is nearly 37 and in all my years watching burren play i have yet to see him having a bad game.. he is their mr consistent and you coming on here suggesting different really shows what an idiot you are... Shane ward did cross my mind - but for the underage talent this man had - he sits in the bracket of potential - and its a pity he didnt fulfill his.. O'Prey is good steady player for sure and Daly for Rostrevor was steady - but does he get a nod over the likes of jarlath austin who was class for the reds?? jarlath Farrell - who on sunday showed again how good he still is with a real confident display.  Colm Mc Crickard for Laitroim was another who crossed my mind who gave his all for club...

SHEEDY

for anyone to say they wouldnt want anthony devlin on their team clearly doesnt understand just how good a club player he has been over the years. the personal attacks on certain players are unwarranted.
nil satis nisi optimum

thewobbler

QuoteBurren Tokenism - are you serious?? he is nearly 37 and in all my years watching burren play i have yet to see him having a bad game.. he is their mr consistent and you coming on here suggesting different really shows what an idiot you are

I didn't suggest different, I suggested a sense of realism. Learn how to read before turning on the personal insults.

angermanagement

Did Conor Daly ever play senior football for Down ? A fine player with a great left peg the best player in the county underage at his age group, but can't remember him playing seniors even the McKenna cup i'm sure someone will put me right.

thewobbler

I'm pretty sure Daly played corner-forward in that fateful day against Antrim in 2002.