The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Enjoy the occasion. New Zealand are never easily beat and if it wasn't for O Mahonys turnover at the end the result could have gone the other way. It wasn't vintage New Zealand but Ireland were at the top of their game and deserved the result.

Sportacus

I don't know much about rugby tactics and patterns of play, but Ireland are very dynamic and enjoyable to watch.  None of the old static and lateral stuff which sometimes was a problem.  Maybe someone can explain.

thewobbler

That was class.

Rugby ain't totally fucked just yet.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: screenexile on November 13, 2021, 05:34:22 PM
Some shite being talked on RTE.

Did you hear that dope pre game? We need to beat NZ to justify our WC favourites tag... I cannot believe they are still at this.

Great win against an out of sorts All Blacks, but it won't be like that when it matters

Captain Obvious

A very good performance I don't think the 9 point winning margin did it justice. One would believe the World Cup is Irelands to lose by listening to the RTÉ coverage, have been here before and they need to settle down on the hype.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Best team in the world at peaking when nobody gives 2 shites

tonto1888

Quote from: Sportacus on November 13, 2021, 05:48:36 PM
I don't know much about rugby tactics and patterns of play, but Ireland are very dynamic and enjoyable to watch.  None of the old static and lateral stuff which sometimes was a problem.  Maybe someone can explain.

Helps when they have a RL man in charge

RedHand88

quit yo jibbajabba

2or3 more new zealanders and i think we could win the next WC!! Thats me back on the hype train anyway choo chooooo 😃

Decent entertainment tbf

brokencrossbar1

Bandwagon open again?  Good stuff!

Rudi

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 13, 2021, 06:39:37 PM

I hear what your saying, still better than losing. I can remember Ireland giving spirited performances against NZ in the past & still getting thumped by 30 odd points. Lads like Paul O Connell & BOD never were on teams that beat them. The followers of rugby in this country tend to be wannabe posh bell ends, however I really enjoyed that game this evening, lifted my spirits, even if NZ were under cooked. I was nervous enough watching it, although I didn't start spitting on my hands every 10 seconds ;D

Bord na Mona man

That has traditionally been New Zealand.

rodney trotter

Noticeabl thate all the Rugby team made some effort of singing Amhran na Bhfiann. A lot of the Irish soccer team stand there like its alien to them, and not just the English born players, Shane Duffy, Matt Doherty should go and learn the words.

Bord na Mona man

New Zealand have waned somewhat as a rugby force. But their rugby culture is to win every game and not let lesser teams get any easy change.
It would be the Tipperary hurling mindset but with a far greater ability to deliver on it.

A decade ago, the idea of an Ireland team beating them was a distant possibility. When Ireland fell short in 2013 it felt like a once in a generation chance to record a maiden win was blown.
To beat NZ threes times since then is a huge step up.

The "it's only a friendly" lark has been done to death and the volume of it seems proportional to how low the Irish soccer team are in the rankings.

Scotland haven never beaten NZ and Wales haven't beaten them since 1953. I'm sure they'd grab with both hands a win against them in a mickey mouse friendly.

tonto1888

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 13, 2021, 07:07:29 PM
That has traditionally been New Zealand.

Apart from them they are winning world cups